The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by -DL- »

The price cap includes VAT, so it will be marginally less if that is removed - so if the cap does go up to the 4200 a year as mooted, it would be a flat 4k a year if you take the VAT off - or 16.67 a month less.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

smuts wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm British Gas..

Gas and electric is cut off.
How is the electric cut off?
Has the fuse been removed or are there pre pay meters on site with no credit?

If the property has been unoccupied for a period of time it's likely the gas has been capped for safety.

Edited to add - are you sure that the electric isn't just turned off at the consumer unit?
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

The fuse has been pulled from what I've seen. It's not a pre pay.
alf git

Post by alf git »

smuts wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm The fuse has been pulled from what I've seen. It's not a pre pay.
That's really unusual.
Contact your local DNO and ask about getting the supply reinstated. You'd probably need to ask them if the fuse has been removed for safety reasons.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:40 pm Full on means testing I agree but they could surely do something basic to shift the money where it would be more needed.

They are doing it with people on benefits, pensioners etc.

All these civil servants surely someone is up to doing a system slightly more complex than pay everyone the same
The "too expensive to adminster" thing often strikes me more as a "can't be bothered" thing. How hard would it be to not send winter fuel payments to ex pats in Spain.......?

Edited to add, scrub that, they've finally changed the rules........
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

For my really uneducated brain, why has electric gone through the roof?

Gas I get and I’d have expected some knock on on to Electric but there’s not an Electric crisis is there?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Because a lot of electricity is generated by burning gas.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

delbert wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:03 am … there is something fundamentally wrong with this..........
Delbs - this is the crux of it and you won’t be the only one saying or thinking this, during the forthcoming ****-storm that we’ve so far barely entered.

Millions, who never had that thought in their head before will have it before the next 18 months are out.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Billydinho wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 pm For my really uneducated brain, why has electric gone through the roof?

Gas I get and I’d have expected some knock on on to Electric but there’s not an Electric crisis is there?
Whilst we burn gas to make electric the high speed cable.that France use to send us cheap electric blew up the Ashford end in what October 21..._due back online march which ofc gets delayed

Still not fully working to speed now I believe
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

EvilC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:18 pm Means testing sounds great, it is just more expensive to administer.
I, for one, would be delighted to be dealing once more with those pleasant people at ATOS.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Billydinho wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:22 pm For my really uneducated brain, why has electric gone through the roof?

A mixture of factors:

Gas-powered plants generate around 36% of our electricity.

Our electricity markets 'design' means gas price sets the price for electric consumers, electricity generated by the cheapest production methods (onshore & offshore wind, tidal and solar) is batched up with the most expensive (gas). Consumers can't get direct access to the cheaper low carbon electricity.

How a wind swept, tide bashed huddle of islands manoeuvred itself into almost total reliance on volatile global fossil fuels and 'got rid of the green crap' just when we needed it most will have our grandchildren scratching their heads in bafflement.

We're also one of two European countries who don't own our national grid and their charges have predictably gone up. Built by public money for public benefit but sold off for ideological reasons, mostly Australian owned last time I checked....someone has to pay for the £1.4bn dividends dished out to them last year alone.
smuts

Post by smuts »

You know you've gone through the looking glass when even The Sun is calling for energy, water and the railways to be nationalised.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19475914/ ... ter-state/

I'd definitely start with Thames Water, they've rinsed us dry (excuse the pun) for years.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

smuts wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:29 pm You know you've gone through the looking glass when even The Sun is calling for energy, water and the railways to be nationalised.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19475914/ ... ter-state/

I'd definitely start with Thames Water, they've rinsed us dry (excuse the pun) for years.
How long after they nationalise the lot do they do the same as before.. under invest, let to go into decline before selling off to the private sector claiming it's a cracking deal for the state

Much like their doing with the NHS now
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:56 pm How long after they nationalise the lot do they do the same as before.. under invest, let to go into decline before selling off to the private sector claiming it's a cracking deal for the state

Much like their doing with the NHS now
Oh yes, the NHS. The longest privatisation in the history of capitalism. :lol:
alf git

Post by alf git »

EDF to sue the French government over losses.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -price-cap
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

It's staggering to think that some people will be paying more for gas/electricity than their mortgage. :shock:
smuts

Post by smuts »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 pm It's staggering to think that some people will be paying more for gas/electricity than their mortgage. :shock:
A few months ago I posted what's it going to hit? 3 grand a year? 4?

We should be so lucky...
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

alf git wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:14 pm EDF to sue the French government over losses.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -price-cap
I fixed with them in September for 3 years. That's mad considering wholesale prices and global indicators were already showing the real possibility of longer term price rises (hence my eagerness to fix for as long as possible).

Although that puts me in a decent position, it's sh*tty business foresight like that which contributes to them losing money. Basically their hedging failed.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:48 pm It's staggering to think that some people will be paying more for gas/electricity than their mortgage. :shock:
I know mortgages in the south are much higher but if I paid what British Gas suggested I do it would be more than my mortgage right now. I suggest large parts of the midlands-north could be in that boat.
Last edited by wolf359 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.