The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by S-H »

Time to panic use!!!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:06 pm Time to panic use!!!
Just start storing it around your house, what is the worst that could happen*

* this is a joke and MB LLP accepts no liability for any damage caused as a result of taking this literally.
Last edited by MB on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

MB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:17 pm Just start storing it around your house, what is the worst that could happen*

* this is a joke and MB LLP accepts no liability for any damaged caused as a result of taking this literally.
Worked with petrol and carrier bags. A few cubic meters in some plastic lunchboxes can’t hurt anyone.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Bubbles Murray wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am I have just found an email received on 21st September from my supplier, Octopus, which I had overlooked.

The PDF attachment has a personalised forecast for the next 12 months which includes the Government Energy Price Guarantee.

I presume other Octopus customers will have the same email.
Yep, I got one of those - credit to them, I think Octopus have actually been pretty transparent/clear with what's happening going forward. Didn't seem to have a choice when I started renting as they had previously provided the house I'm now in, but happy with how they've been communicating and handling things.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

MB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:17 pm Just start storing it around your house, what is the worst that could happen*

* this is a joke and MB LLP accepts no liability for any damage caused as a result of taking this literally.
From my understanding they don't cut off the gas to the grid as it causes too many issues with air bubbles etc it would just be powercuts meaning people can stick the boiler on

Let's see how long before a run on diesel generations to hook up to the consumer unit or just the boiler plug

My battery will function for this come Wednesday when it's finally fitted

Think if we have a power cut will have to invite everyone round to keep warm.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Wholesale prices are currently at their lowest in three months - still massively expensive - to give an example, prices for delivery for the blended average period of now until March are way, way above the prices during the few days of Beast from the East. But still, this is good news, everyone needs to keep doing their bit, and it appears that they are so far.

I do wonder if Putin will start screwing with Turkstream as he doesn't have many levers left to pull. I'm pretty surprised that he continues to flow gas through Ukraine, I guess he does need the money.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Evil - I read online (can try and find the source if necessary, was a graph), showing that Germany have already imported/stored enough Russian gas (as of about a week or two ago) for winter. This was compared to previous years storage quotas etc.

Assuming that is true(?), I didn't see anything referencing Russian gas Germany would usually attain during winter, so if we assume Russia turns off the gas fully now, would this Germany haul still be short in real terms over whatever is classed as the winter period?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 pm Evil - I read online (can try and find the source if necessary, was a graph), showing that Germany have already imported/stored enough Russian gas (as of about a week or two ago) for winter. This was compared to previous years storage quotas etc.

Assuming that is true(?), I didn't see anything referencing Russian gas Germany would usually attain during winter, so if we assume Russia turns off the gas fully now, would this Germany haul still be short in real terms over whatever is classed as the winter period?
This is true.

Everything depends on the weather and certain other factors that are out of the control of Europe - PNG flows being continuous and not subject to acts of God. If Russia turns off Turkstream it would be another factor in play. This winter looks like it’ll be okay, fingers crossed.

The issue is then what happens when you look beyond winter. This summer, Europe got some Russian flows. Next summer it’ll get less, or none. That makes filling storage harder to do. Germany will bring LNG gasification plants in, but those won’t be enough to replace Russian flows. So this is a multi-tear problem.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Already on it, filling balloons with gas and storing them in the garage with the bog roll and pasta.
S-H

Post by S-H »

Apparently my DD for gas & electric, moving forward will be £115 p/m

Seems low.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

S-H wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:04 am Apparently my DD for gas & electric, moving forward will be £115 p/m

Seems low.
companies have been reducing them by the £66 the gov is giving everyone for 5 months

ive raised mine back up by the £66 as I see that as the way to actually afford it when prices have gone up
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The real financial squeeze may be next winter, if this winter is especially cold.

If I understand things correctly, most of the major European economies have enough in storage to assure supply this term, but with NS1 and 2 both down, refilling for next winter may be more problematic, despite the American supplies.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:47 am companies have been reducing them by the £66 the gov is giving everyone for 5 months

ive raised mine back up by the £66 as I see that as the way to actually afford it when prices have gone up
Same here. 👍
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

What's the latest on business rates for energy?

Still being absolutely shafted with no cap/support?
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:35 am What's the latest on business rates for energy?

There is a cap. I think it's half the estimated winter cost of wholesale energy. It's 6 months I think.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:52 am The real financial squeeze may be next winter, if this winter is especially cold.

If I understand things correctly, most of the major European economies have enough in storage to assure supply this term, but with NS1 and 2 both down, refilling for next winter may be more problematic, despite the American supplies.
That seems to be the majority view PP. Of course depends on how cold it gets this winter.

As Evil posted yesterday, it seems the alternative supplies cannot fully compensate and that is before Putin plays any more silly beggars with their supply.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:35 am What's the latest on business rates for energy?

Support for businesses and non-domestic properties
Providing support to businesses
While the majority of UK non-domestic customers are on fixed price energy deals, some are not. Businesses did not benefit from the Ofgem price cap and there was a risk that some would fall through the gap, unable to fix their energy price and unable to access the kind of support we are making available to households.

A new 6 month scheme for businesses and other non-domestic energy users (including charities and public sector organisations like schools) will be offered support as is being provided for consumers.

After this initial 6 month scheme, the government will provide ongoing focused support for vulnerable industries.

There will be a review in 3 months’ time to consider where this should be targeted to make sure those most in need get support.

Find out more about the Energy Bill Relief Scheme.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/energy-bill ... -customers
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:47 am companies have been reducing them by the £66 the gov is giving everyone for 5 months

I'm going to spend my extra £66 shorting the pound. :thup:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Seems to be different from company to company - mine (Octopus) has taken £67 off my direct debit payment. Friend's (Shell) has added £66 on to their credit but kept the direct debit amount at the same.

I'm off out to buy a couple of hot water bottles with the money, what a treat.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

think this belongs in here...

Drax: The Green Energy Scandal exposed

A company that has received billions of pounds in green energy subsidies from UK taxpayers is cutting down environmentally important forests, a BBC Panorama investigation has found.