The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by Denbighammer »

alf git wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:43 pm Heat rises. You're not really going to get any meaningful heat retention in an unheated, uninsulated floor. The best thing you can do is put something down so it feels warmer underfoot giving the impression of actual heat.
Like old carpet offcuts? :coolas:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Denbighammer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:25 pm Like old carpet offcuts? :coolas:
Bearing in mind that it's rental accommodation i was thinking more along the lines of gaffa taping a carpet tile to each foot :smiler:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

alf git wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:48 pm Bearing in mind that it's rental accommodation i was thinking more along the lines of gaffa taping a carpet tile to each foot :smiler:
:crossed:

I've already got the slipper socks on and they're fine!

It's more trying to work out how to get the thermostat downstairs not to read lower than it needs to. The kids bedrooms are generally pretty warm and that's the main thing I use the central heating for - we're hardly ever in the living room between school, after school clubs, and trying to get out of the house on the Saturday I have them, so it's not really worth heating that.

Definitely considering old carpet offcuts/rugs or something for it, thanks all. Even just to test it and see what happens to the thermostat down there, carpet has something like a Tog rating in the way duvets do, right? So there must be some level insulation in them.

I might cut the hallway thermostat temperature as well - it's dropped to 11 after the chillier weather has come in this week, so heating up to 16 is going to take longer. A cut to 14 and then seeing how warm the kids rooms get from that, I think. They generally seem pretty OK, and hover around about the 16 mark anyway based on the thermometer I have, so any heating there boosts above that. Been trying to check if I can move the thermostat around but I think it's wired in.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:13 am :crossed:

I've already got the slipper socks on and they're fine!
Maybe try a wireless thermostat? That way demand for heat won't be controlled by the temp in the hallway, but by a more occupied space?

Sure there are some on here who know boilers and boiler controls who might be able to recommend a simple to replace controller?
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I've got the Hive thermostat when I replaced my boiler this time last year.

Still haven't bothered setting up the app, but the controls are wireless so can be left in a warmer room.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

A few snippets:
- The next five days are, if you consider temperatures where people live, are in the twenty coldest days in the previous nine years. I found this surprising but apparently this is true.
- UK gas demand has changed such that we are using like we would if the temperature was 3-4 degrees higher two years ago.
- Gas flowing into the UK is massive.
- Weather looks like the dominant factor dictating price but there is a fair chance Europe ends winter with storage more full than average, which is good.
- China is a bit of a wildcard. Whilst they are planning to open up the economy, this is probably going to result in a wave of COVID - if that happens then it seems pretty hard to predict how the government there reacts.
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Few clued up people on this thread, so thought I would ask here first, rather than attempt to talk to Eon.

My smart meter, is the amount used (in £) that is shown, based on my tariff or the government capped rate?

Just trying to work out how much I am actually spending a month.

Thanks
alf git

Post by alf git »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:34 am Few clued up people on this thread, so thought I would ask here first, rather than attempt to talk to Eon.

My smart meter, is the amount used (in £) that is shown, based on my tariff or the government capped rate?

Thanks
Pounds and pence usage will be based on your tariff.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:34 am Few clued up people on this thread, so thought I would ask here first, rather than attempt to talk to Eon.

Thanks
Providing your tariff is up to date on your meter it will be showing your what your paying which is tariff

However download the app bright , give it permission to access your smart meter

Then you can see your usage on your phone the next day

And it will be in £ or KW used etc

Then if it's in KW you can times by the price you know you pay
Baron Von Marlon
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Baron Von Marlon »

Thanks both, so just to be clear. If my smart meter is saying £5 I actually won’t be paying that as when it comes to my bill, the government cap rate will be applied retrospectively on the amount of energy used.

Thanks
alf git

Post by alf git »

Off your total electricity bill.
Yes.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I've seen people installing their own meters (which apparently is allowed under some contracts) to not have to pay the rental on the meters supplied by the energy companies. Cue the energy bailiffs and police demanding entry into the persons home to see the meter. Anybody else seen this and any thoughts?
alf git

Post by alf git »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:07 am I've seen people installing their own meters (which apparently is allowed under some contracts) to not have to pay the rental on the meters supplied by the energy companies. Cue the energy bailiffs and police demanding entry into the persons home to see the meter. Anybody else seen this and any thoughts?
Anybody installing their own meter is breaking the law.
You can supply your own meter with your current providers permission but it has to be installed by someone who is registered and qualified.
If bills are being paid why would anyone want to see the meter?
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

alf git wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:00 pm Anybody installing their own meter is breaking the law.
You can supply your own meter with your current providers permission but it has to be installed by someone who is registered and qualified.
If bills are being paid why would anyone want to see the meter?
Easier to just bypas it(so I've been told)
alf git

Post by alf git »

kenthammer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:34 pm Easier to just bypas it(so I've been told)
If by easier you mean more dangerous, then yes.
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

alf git wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:06 pm If by easier you mean more dangerous, then yes.
Must admit come across some right dodgy ones in the past where you wonder how they haven't killed themselves or burnt the place down
alf git

Post by alf git »

kenthammer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:42 pm Must admit come across some right dodgy ones in the past where you wonder how they haven't killed themselves or burnt the place down
The one good thing to be said about messing with electrics is that it isn't gas.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Baron Von Marlon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 am Thanks both, so just to be clear. If my smart meter is saying £5 I actually won’t be paying that as when it comes to my bill, the government cap rate will be applied retrospectively on the amount of energy used.

Thanks
I stand to be corrected but I don't think this is how it works. There is no government cap rate and nothing is applied retrospectively.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Put the central heating on just to get it from 12 degrees to about 16 degrees in the house. It took about 4 hours to get the lounge and dining room to that temperature at about 60p an hour. Utter crazy. We have blankets and wear extra clothes. It's like the 70s all over again
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Our reading is projecting £253 bill this month.

It was £90 in Oct, £140 in November.

So ball park £480 for the quarter (without government (our) money)