The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by Tenbury »

Far more slowly than wholesale oil prices..
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:39 am Far more slowly than wholesale oil prices..
:thup:

And far more slowly than when they were putting it up.....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

More meat on the bones of my post on page 89
Housing in London, western Europe's largest city, is famously in short supply, but it seems there is a new barrier to building more homes in England's capital – the electricity grid can't supply enough power and datacenters are being blamed for using up all the capacity.

According to the Financial Times, housing developers in West London were told by the Greater London Authority that it might take more than a decade to build out the capacity of the electricity grid, and there may have to be a moratorium on new housing projects until 2035. Three west London boroughs in particular were named – Hillingdon, Ealing and Hounslow.

The GLA states in its letter that the grid in that part of London is under acute pressure not just because of the demand for new homes, but because of the number of capacious bit barns that were constructed in the area in recent years.

The upshot of this is that new projects are now being rejected because the electricity network in the locale has hit capacity.

more...
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

They had to put two new 33,000V rings in the city a few years back because the 11,000V network was at capacity.

The problem with things like datacentres too is they'll often snap up a primary and secondary supply so that there's 100% redundancy. Plus they'll reserve capacity whether they use it or not, rather than have applied diversity used like with regular residential circuits.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:49 pmUnfortunately I'm old enough to remember when lots of these things were state run.
Give or take a year or two SLWO, that was roughly as long ago as the time span between the Wright brothers' first flight and Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human in space.
Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:08 pmThe 70s - when the country was a joke and the unions decided everything.
Well we're certainly a long way from that now, Pete. At least you could buy a house (or for those less fortunate, live in one supplied by the local council) and pay your leccy bill then.

As per my example above, the big difference now is technology. We only had three TV channels to watch (for part of the day, at least) and digital watches weren't even a thing for anyone but the insanely rich when Ted Heath's three-day week began.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:32 pm Give or take a year or two SLWO, that was roughly as long ago as the time span between the Wright brothers' first flight and Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human in space.
How would we do it differently this time? What lessons from nationalisation last time have we learnt and wouldn't repeat?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:32 pm Well we're certainly a long way from that now, Pete. At least you could buy a house (or for those less fortunate, live in one supplied by the local council) and pay your leccy bill then.

As per my example above, the big difference now is technology. We only had three TV channels to watch (for part of the day, at least) and digital watches weren't even a thing for anyone but the insanely rich when Ted Heath's three-day week began.
In terms of spending, electric bills (even today) are less of a burden on incomes than through most of the 70s and early 80s. Until this year they have been hugely cheaper than under nationalisation (that's without counting taxes that were used on top of your bill).

The problem (as you point out) is we have more to things to spend money on now and for you lot down south housing costs are nuts.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:25 pm The problem (as you point out) is we have more to things to spend money on now and for you lot down south housing costs are nuts.
Off topic but that last part I have thought about quite a bit. I have a mate who bought a flat in Camden (ish) for about 600k then a couple of years later sold it for 825k, then ended up buying another flat there. That difference was slightly more than what I bought my 3 bed mid terraced for 7 years ago.

I asked him why he didn't buy a nice enough house in Chelmsford and pocket the other half. He was adamant he wanted to avoid the commute on the tube, but for not far off half a million quid it seems nuts to me.
delbert

Post by delbert »

Unthinkable now, but we used to rent our telly back then.........
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

delbert wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:51 pm Unthinkable now, but we used to rent our telly back then.........
Rumbelows?
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:45 pm Rumbelows?
Granada or Radio Rental*

* I am not referring to some posters that frequent this parish.

My mum and dad rented their TV for years.
SammyLeeWasOffside

RichieRiv wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:37 pm Granada or Radio Rental*

* I am not referring to some posters that frequent this parish.

My mum and dad rented their TV for years.
This always baffles my stepdaughter. I remember a firm coming to the house to repair the TV.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

My Nan rented her TV. £1 for 3 hours iirc.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

I rented a TV once.

About 3000 baht for an hour.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:17 am I rented a TV once.
Is that still an acceptable term? :?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

My parents rented our tele when I was a nipper as I remember.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 am Is that still an acceptable term? :?
Seems some people don't like it because it's got links to being used as a psychiatric term when the suggestion there was something wrong with the people indulging (which were largely gay men at the time).
delbert

Post by delbert »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:45 pm Rumbelows?
For the life of me I can't remember, the shop was next to Boots in Barking. When I got married in 1986 we carried on the tradition for a bit until we got sorted out, it was a massive thing and included a video player and stand.........
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

delbert wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 pm For the life of me I can't remember, the shop was next to Boots in Barking. When I got married in 1986 we carried on the tradition for a bit until we got sorted out, it was a massive thing and included a video player and stand.........
My and an ex rented a top notch widescreen Hitachi (when they were good) TV (who remembers NICAM digital stereo?) and VCR (VideoPlus was a godsend! When it worked...) with stand, and a Technics mini stack system from Box Clever in Grays back in 2003 - and a week later they went in to administration, and nobody ever came to take the gear from us, nor were we ever chased for any payment. Not a penny went towards it.

I actually still have the VCR in a cupboard, kept with the intention of one day going through all the old VHS tapes and copying anything rare and unusual to the PC and uploading it to YouTube.

I've had this intention for years, so if I'm being honest, it will never get done...
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

When we first got our first flat in the late 90s we also rented a telly and VCR. Nicam, Super VHS and so on.

That was the days when a 32" inch wide-screen cost nearly a grand and you needed a forklift to get it in.