Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

carnage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 am You are trolling surely.
I have added points to back up the argument.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Albie Beck wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:10 am He's looking at the ball the whole time, and uses his arms to jump. Meslier decides to try and catch it instead of punching. Had he punched he'd have had his other arm to protect himself and would have got above Antonio. As it was they were jumping to the same level and some contact was inevitable.

Not even a foul in my view, one of those where the FK and the card is triggered by the outcome rather than the incident.
I can understand under the current 'rules' that the goal was disallowed , but can't for the life of me see any reason to book Antonio never mind the suggestion that he should have been sent off other than they want to win so badly that there're happy to see players get a red card . I've only seen the game on a stream so far but how long was the keeper 'down' for Bloody ridiculous.
I think it's becoming a 'tactic' to swing decisions, get players carded etc.

Bowen is not human in his energy levels, his desire to compete for the team is fantastic. The wining goal a thing of beauty with the passing sublime and Micks effort to get the length of the pitch behind him to put it away remarkable.
Win lose or draw, this team is something very special .
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

carnage wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:24 am You are trolling surely.
100%

She was the one saying that Bowen was Championship quality, last week.

One to ignore, for sure.
Turtlecharityracer

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:27 am 100%

She was the one saying that Bowen was Championship quality, last week.

One to ignore, for sure.
Pack mentality like at school.
You called me she. Oh. I'm crying now.

For the record, I stated Bowens use of the ball was not PL class but his off the ball work was PL top 4 quality.
MadMart
Location: "overhead a rainbow appears..... in Black and White"
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by MadMart »

Energy levels within the squad are the best I have ever witnessed - Leeds were fading after 70 mins - we just kept going - great stuff....
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 am While I can’t see them relegated, I think they have been sussed good and proper, and have a manager who will refuse to change his system.

Could be a very very long season for them.
I think there's some truth behind that point.

As for their fans yesterday, I knew a couple in the home end and they were of the view that we were excellent support for our team.

From their point of view, no wins in 6 is a proper concern, so all the calling for decisions and cards is probably a mixture of worry and desperation in terms of getting the first win under their belts. Lots of them called for a penalty when the ball hit Coufal from close range, too.

I think they will be alright, but, in the main, that this season, they will be bottom half.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2190 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Lovely ball from Vlasic to set Rice free…weighted perfectly to give him the momentum. Get that slightly wrong and it all slows down. Nice to see from the newbie :newthumb:
Kakophonix
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Kakophonix »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am Imo, his game management - positioning, decision making - is pretty horrendous. Needs an awful lot of work.
To fate he is responsible for Lingards goal, gave a way what most thought was a penalty to Ronaldo, was caught out of position for yesterday's goal.
I can see Dawson back in the team in his place by February.

I hope Moyes realised this was a problem before signing him and feels he can workmon it.
I am not sure this will help you :winker: , but I absolutely agree.
Dawson imo has better positioning, better team work, more modest, better manageable/controlled, with ability to score. At least today. Moyes must see in Zouma some better potential. Or as you say, we will see Dawson back with Ogbonna soon.
Sometimes you must lose somebody first, to understand his real value...
OFT

Post by OFT »

MadMart wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 am Energy levels within the squad are the best I have ever witnessed - Leeds were fading after 70 mins - we just kept going - great stuff....
It is indeed great stuff.
Turtlecharityracer

Kakophonix wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 am I am not sure this will help you :winker: , but I absolutely agree.
Dawson imo has better positioning, better team work, more modest, better manageable/controlled, with ability to score. At least today. Moyes must see in Zouma some better potential. Or as you say, we will see Dawson back with Ogbonna soon.
There are 2 positions - centre half and goalkeeper - whee you can't afford these big mistakes.
Afraid Zouma produces a couple every game.
Solid, consistent CH is better than a highlight package CH.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

S-H wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 am Also.. that Firpo was comically bad, yesterday.
His Pass Straight Into Touch accuracy was pretty high and like the rest if their team his Run About Like A Kid Playing Bulldogs score was decent.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am Imo, his game management - positioning, decision making - is pretty horrendous. Needs an awful lot of work.
To fate he is responsible for Lingards goal, gave a way what most thought was a penalty to Ronaldo, was caught out of position for yesterday's goal.
I can see Dawson back in the team in his place by February.

I hope Moyes realised this was a problem before signing him and feels he can workmon it.
He wasn't caught out of position yesterday. He had acres of space to run into, both Soucek and Fornals waved him forward so he went with the ball. Soucek covered for him and made a mistake when Zouma passed back to him. From there it was just a foot race between Cresswell and Raphina and then a great finish.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Raphinha is a great player, isn’t he? Was delighted to see him taken off yesterday.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Kakophonix wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:40 am I am not sure this will help you :winker: , but I absolutely agree.
Like all our new signings, I'll give him time to properly settle into the squad before judging him too harshly. Yes I agree it was a rash challenge against Ronaldo but it wasn't the first time Ronaldo has drawn a foul against a top defender, and it won't be the last. Letting Lingard score... its just one of those things. Every central defender in the world has been guilty of making mistakes like that in their career. Dawson has made plenty. On the whole, Zouma has played well. He's been dominant in the air and got his foot in plenty of times. His style is a little different to Dawson - Dawson likes to stand off an attacking player and block. Zouma likes to get in close, commit, and get a foot in. Both styles have their strengths and weaknesses. As for his forays forward... maybe at Chelsea, that was expected of him. He'll adjust.

Personally, I'm still a big fan of Dawson and I think it's great that we now don't need to worry so much if one of our defenders get injured, especially now that Diop is showing improvements in his game.
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

If Dawson comes back in it will be for Ogbonna. Zouma is our number 1 centre half for the duration of his contract. He has been the better centre half in every game he's played. I'm more concerned that Ogbonna looks a yard slower again this year. That left side with Cresswell is huge weakness for us against quicker teams.
OFT

Post by OFT »

Soucek was at fault for the Leeds goal and he looks a bit weary although I thought he picked up a bit in the second half. The important thing for me is that following the 'mistake' and goal, the team didn't capitulate. In fact it's not merely important, it's bleedin' marvellous.
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am Zouma likes to get in close, commit, and get a foot in. Both styles have their strengths and weaknesses. As for his forays forward... maybe at Chelsea, that was expected of him. He'll adjust.
That's how you create chances against Leeds. You need players to beat their marker. He did it a few times yesterday. Same thing against teams who sit with a low block. It's a positive of his game, not something to drill out of him. We have 2 holding midfielders who can fill in if he goes.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Loftyhammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 am Lovely ball from Vlasic to set Rice free…weighted perfectly to give him the momentum. Get that slightly wrong and it all slows down. Nice to see from the newbie :newthumb:
That was Coufal wasn't it? I think Vlasic was the one that picked the ball up from Antonios header... he layed it off to Coufal who played a first time ball to Rice.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:26 am That's how you create chances against Leeds. You need players to beat their marker. He did it a few times yesterday. Same thing against teams who sit with a low block. It's a positive of his game, not something to drill out of him. We have 2 holding midfielders who can fill in if he goes.
And perhaps that's what happened. Soucek dropped deep to cover for him... but then screwed it up.
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 am And perhaps that's what happened. Soucek dropped deep to cover for him... but then screwed it up.
Exactly what happened. Soucek had the ball and 2 players had followed him leaving Zouma with loads of room to push forward. It was just the pass from Soucek when he got it back that was the problem. Absolutely nothing to do with Zouma.