Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Nice of them to think that a ref can actually be nice to us :chin:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:28 am Nice of them to think that a ref can actually be nice to us :chin:
Especially Kevin Unfriend :D
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am Don't underestimate the quality of Vlasic's lifted pass to Rice either. 'Twas a thing of beauty.

Thinking about it, it was Antonio who won a defensive header just outside our penalty area which dropped to Vlasic, a few seconds later he was scoring at the other end of the pitch. No wonder he looked shattered after the game :grin:
The lifted pass was from Coufal. Vlasic was the one who did well to control the ball that was headed on from Antonio, before he then passed it back to Coufal who lifted it first time to Rice.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Coufal has a wonderful instinct to advance the attack wherever possible. Rarely a random clearance from him.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^I'm doing well identifying our players this game :grin: Diop/Zouma and now Vlasic/Coufal. I blame my ageing eyes and watching the game on a video window the size of a playing card.

I'm giving up this punditry lark, it's too hard :winker:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Antonio's goal really was a brilliant team goal topped off by a lovely bit of skill by a guy who is absolutely flying. Good Times.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

A thoroughly rational set of opinions, if I may say so.

Nobody seriously makes the case for a red for Antonio.

One thing I enjoyed the most, given the 'rivalry' between 2 excellent, international, midfielders, is that Rice played such a massive part in the sequence of play that determined the match. Unlike Phillips, he didn't leave a foot in, or throw his weight about. He knew his team-mate would find him and turned into space to create the assist whilst top knot wheezed his way back to watch the ball hit the back of the net.

First set, Declan. Next time you want some toe-to-toe, think about energy-management a bit, maybe?
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

We really are being spoilt with fantastic away trips this season aren't we, already had Newcastle, Zagreb and now Leeds (and United for all those that went there on the Weds) all before the end of September. Think this one will take some beating, absolute carnage when that last minute winner went in
jastons
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

ironilunga wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 am Coufal 30mil
I like Coufal as much as anyone but we only paid £5.4m for him a year ago. Are you sure his value has increased by £25m in that time?
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

irving boleyn wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am Coufal has a wonderful instinct to advance the attack wherever possible. Rarely a random clearance from him.
A cute touch from him has been the spark for a few important goals now. He actually had two separate smart touches – a header and a pass – to set Lingard off on the 50m slalom at Molineux, provided that back heel prior to Benrahma's against Manchester United the other day and now the tennis lob at the weekend.

The contrast between Coufal and Cresswell was really borne out during that game. Leeds overload you, so better players than Cresswell will find themselves in some awkward moments against their own touchline, but his limitations in tight areas were exposed savagely. Like a cornered rat at times.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

jastons wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm I like Coufal as much as anyone but we only paid £5.4m for him a year ago. Are you sure his value has increased by £25m in that time?
Would you accept, selling him for less?
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

jastons wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm I like Coufal as much as anyone but we only paid £5.4m for him a year ago. Are you sure his value has increased by £25m in that time?
Surely his value is only ever defined by what he's worth now? I'm not sure previous transfer fees have any bearing on it.

The only limiting factor to that valuation is probably his age.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:28 am Nice of them to think that a ref can actually be nice to us :chin:
The most generous bit of officiating all day was Cresswell (Jnr, though it would be significantly funnier if it was ours) not even getting a yellow for rugby tackling Antonio after he'd turned him with no-one but the keeper behind.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Aceface wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm The most generous bit of officiating all day was Cresswell (Jnr, though it would be significantly funnier if it was ours) not even getting a yellow for rugby tackling Antonio after he'd turned him with no-one but the keeper behind.
Definitely a legal hit - for an openside flanker.
WestSam
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by WestSam »

irving boleyn wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:55 am Coufal has a wonderful instinct to advance the attack wherever possible. Rarely a random clearance from him.
Just to add to the superlatives, the delicate tennis lob played by Coufal was with his left foot not his stronger right.... :scarfer:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:39 pm I thought they continually came through the back of our front four - probably a tactic they adopted having seen Antonio struggle with the physical stuff against Southampton. We probably need to expect more of that and improve first touch at times. Suspect Antonio and Bowen have bruises over most of the back of their legs.
Absolutely. And not just our forward players. Phillips should have gone for the foul on Lanzini (it amazes me how he lasted as long as he did before the ref finally booked him), I think the ref bottled it and gave the free kick the other way to avoid having to give a second yellow.
There was a late flurry of yellows to Leeds players for offences they had been allowed to get away with all match - so why all of a sudden are these things yellow card worthy? Is it so he can avoid allegations of bias? Or is it so there's less chance of giving someone a second yellow?

It happens quite often.

I think the refs have gone too far with the "allowing physical contact" thing. I thought the idea was supposed to be to discourage players going down easy around the box, or just playing for the foul. That's fair enough, but leniency for physical play has gone too far - anyone attempting to shield the ball is fair game to be ploughed through the back, and hulking slow defenders seem allowed to even it up against fast attackers by grabbing hold of them and even wrestling them to the ground.
The rules are quite clear about what body parts constitute a legal shoulder barge (arm part of shoulder against arm part of shoulder) and there are rules about excessive force.

Was pleased the whiny Leeds keeper got booked though - I assume it was for foul language at the ref.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

GreenIron wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 pm A little bit of Fabianski in my life
A little bit of Coufal by my side
A little bit of Zouma is all I need
A little bit of Ogbonna is what I see
A little bit of Cresswell in the sun
A little bit of Noble all night long
A little bit of Soucek, here I am
A little bit of Antonio makes me your man

You know I’m already regretting this post for so many reasons.
Fabianski in my life
Cresswell and Coufal down the sides
Oggy and Zouma at the back
Antonio in attack
Now Bowens on a run
Fornals and Benny all night long
Rice and Soucek here I am
David Moyes we’re all West Ham
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2192 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am ^^^I'm doing well identifying our players this game :grin: Diop/Zouma and now Vlasic/Coufal. I blame my ageing eyes and watching the game on a video window the size of a playing card.

I'm giving up this punditry lark, it's too hard :winker:
I thought it was Vlasic too! Think it was the commentary that threw me
QLDHammer
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by QLDHammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:02 pm
Was pleased the whiny Leeds keeper got booked though - I assume it was for foul language at the ref.
I believe the foul language was in French too.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Knighter10WHU wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:09 pm (and United for all those that went there on the Weds)
I’d be surprised if any of us were at Oxford on Wednesday.