Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

e-20
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: ⚽ Leeds Utd vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by e-20 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 am

Aceface wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:01 am
Really they lost because they had a greenhorn in defence due to three other injuries/suspensions in that area. Team fading or not, a more seasoned player was unlikely to get done all ends up for the winner in the way Shackleton was.
Very possibly but equally it was one of those situations where Antonio’s touch was a little heavy and as can happen it can work to you advantage because it draws the defender in and IF you have the speed, determination, skill and wit you can do exactly what Antonio did and get a toe to it first and leaving the defender looking like a teal plonker. Experience might helped in better anticipating the danger true, a more committed challenge certainly might have done (wonder if he was intimidated by the unit closing in) but I have seen top class defenders done like that too and Antonio seems to have developed magical skills of the sort I mention above that none of us would have credited him with even a year ago so I have some sympathy. Especially as not making the tackle (which he wouldn’t have done but for the heavy touch) and simply trying to match him and ease him off the ball or upset his rhythm, as perhaps a top defender might of done too, just isn’t easy with Antonio these days with his strength, determination and speed to contend with.
Last edited by e-20 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 am

Ludeksgloves wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 am
While I can’t see them relegated, I think they have been sussed good and proper, and have a manager who will refuse to change his system.

Could be a very very long season for them.
Always did find it baffling that Bielsa is lauded by everyone so much. He has 1 tactic and way of playing and nothing else. That might work in the Championship, but in the Premier League teams will, and have, figured it out big time. He won't change. Think they will be in trouble this season.

Albie Beck
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Albie Beck » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:43 am

Paolopaul wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 am
Any of our fans claiming that wasn’t a foul is as ridiculous as Leeds fans saying it was a red. Antonio literally elbows Meslier in the face before the ball arrives, but it was an accident. Referee dealt with it perfectly.
carnage wrote:It wasn’t a red as his elbow was straight and there was no unnatural movement to the keepers face.
Exactly - it was his arm not an elbow, his arm was up for his jump not swinging, he wasn't even looking at the keeper and the card/FK bas based on the outcome (and the baying crowd) not the "offence". Ref was a tosser.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 am

DannyboyDJL wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 am
Exactly what happened. Soucek had the ball and 2 players had followed him leaving Zouma with loads of room to push forward. It was just the pass from Soucek when he got it back that was the problem. Absolutely nothing to do with Zouma.
The thing that Soucek might however point out is that, along with Zouma, there was no other dedicated defender. So, he made his first error, which was to miscontrol receipt of the ball and, admittedly, was a bit slow to shut down the attack. However, the cover in the middle wasn't simply not Zouma, but the other CH and Cresswell were also marooned up the pitch.

Soucek can't really take the blame for that.

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 am

prophet:marginal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 am
The thing that Soucek might however point out is that, along with Zouma, there was no other dedicated defender. So, he made his first error, which was to miscontrol receipt of the ball and, admittedly, was a bit slow to shut down the attack. However, the cover in the middle wasn't simply not Zouma, but the other CH and Cresswell were also marooned up the pitch.

Ogbonna was 15 yards away in his position. It was just a mistake by Soucek.

Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:07 am

It really does brighten up your Sunday :crestnew:

El brooko79
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 am

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 am

The team was pushing forward to try and win the game, Soucek made a mistake- one that looks bad in non league.
He is human, it happens to everyone but not something you can legislate for or plan against .

The Old Mile End
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Old Mile End » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 am

20 goal attempts in a game away from home. Winning by keeping going to the final whistle. Winning in style, with hard work, a great team spirit and entertainment in an end to end high energy game. Players playing for each other, playing for the team, playing for the shirt, playing for the manager, playing for you.

I say to anyone who dropped out when Moyes came in - come back and get onboard.

I've been here since September 1963 - it has rarely been as good as this.
:crest:

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Wilko1304 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:23 am

DannyboyDJL wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 am
Quite. There’s no defence of it, he made a mistake and then defended back towards goal really badly.

I’m not surprised, as much as some people can’t handle Leeds getting any compliments, they play in a way that really makes it hard if you’re not on it with your technical basics. Soucek is an awkward player and doesn’t have much grace.

Moreover, Zouma had gone forward because of how badly we were playing on the ball in that period. He was frustrated multiple times before that with the ball at his feet and no movement. It’s not like he disappeared, he ran forward with the ball.

Outside of a fast start, we were poor in the first half and stepped up as Leeds faded in the second. It’s astonishing to see our fitness levels as that game went on. Not just because of the opponent, but because of the extra games and our engine room having a long summer.

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Up the Junction » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:24 am

Leeds United 1-2 West Ham United (by Chris Wilkerson)
https://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=121320

Loftyhammer
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Loftyhammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:35 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 am
That was Coufal wasn't it? I think Vlasic was the one that picked the ball up from Antonios header... he layed it off to Coufal who played a first time ball to Rice.
That’s what I said…just spelled it Vlasic :wink:

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:17 pm

DannyboyDJL wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 am
Dan, you're right, mate; I typed that last thing without double-checking the footage.

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 243 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by MB » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:22 pm

Wilko1304 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:23 am
Quite. There’s no defence of it, he made a mistake and then defended back towards goal really badly.

I’m not surprised, as much as some people can’t handle Leeds getting any compliments, they play in a way that really makes it hard if you’re not on it with your technical basics. Soucek is an awkward player and doesn’t have much grace.

Moreover, Zouma had gone forward because of how badly we were playing on the ball in that period. He was frustrated multiple times before that with the ball at his feet and no movement. It’s not like he disappeared, he ran forward with the ball.
Spot on (like the pressing from Leeds).

The difference in the second half was we had weathered the storm and while Leeds were still pressing, they were that bit slower regrouping after which left pockets of space we could (finally) exploit.

Good team performance to stay in the game and then keep going to the final whistle.

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:23 pm

Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:17 pm
Dan, you're right, mate; I typed that last thing without double-checking the footage.
:newthumb: I was just rewatching as I read that message. I remembered Zouma being upfield, but couldn't reminder how he'd got there so wanted to check.

weymouth hammer

Post by weymouth hammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Slightly off topic, i thought Paul nevin had left the club, i see hes still on the scene.

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Korea Hammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:32 pm

weymouth hammer wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:27 pm
Slightly off topic, i thought Paul nevin had left the club, i see hes still on the scene.
Think it was Alan Irvine who retired :newthumb:

weymouth hammer

Post by weymouth hammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Sorry guys, just been surfing, i think its a part time job with england hes took on , must still be with the irons.

kentishiron
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by kentishiron » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Am I really seeing opinions that Dawson is a better player than Zouma and will have his place back by January :?

Yes zouma could’ve done more for Lingards goal, so could Rice, but it was also a worldie. Are we forgetting that for the rest of that game Zouma was an absolute rock? Dawson’s positioning is better? Zouma literally cut out 3 or 4 balls which looked destined to end up at the feet of Ronaldo, and would have done if Dawson was there, or dare I say it even ogbonna.

Zouma wins every header, I don’t think I’ve seen him lose one to an opponent yet, Dawson has a nack of just heading the ball and it will go wherever it ends up. Zouma’s on the ball ability is much better than Dawson’s as well.

In the couple of games he’s played, he’s made Ogbonna look average who’s been our holy grail of the last couple of years. But there really is no comparison between Zouma and Dawson at all.

Edit: I didn’t even mention the amount of needless fouls Dawson gives away in dangerous areas by charging into the back or players.

Then to pass blame onto Zouma for yesterdays goal? That has to be a joke. Every person who has ever played football and has any sort of football brain knows that if a defender goes forward, you drop in to cover for them. Soucek did this for Zouma as he went forward with the ball, which was the correct play, but then made a horrific pass. It was a mistake by Soucek, it happens, but Zouma cannot be pinned with any blame.

Aztec Hammer
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Exactly. Zouma looked like a brick wall in Zagreb, had a great game in Manchester bar that unfortunate Lingard moment, and then was a big part of a win in Leeds where he won a big header to start the attack that won us the three points.

I don’t want to dig out any of our defenders as all 4 are a credit to West Ham on the whole, but some seem to be forgetting about the tragic mistakes that Dawson was making on a game-by-game basis pretty much since the Arsenal 3-3 last season.

Zouma does need a word from Moyes though about not roaming too far forward with the ball. He’s neither good enough with the ball for it be remotely worthwhile nor is our system one that can afford a centre back to travel beyond the midfielders with the ball.

danm79
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by danm79 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:49 pm

Turtlecharityracer wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am
gave a way what most thought was a penalty to Ronaldo,
I assume this is a wind up...it was a clear dive which all the ex-referees across the media have agreed in terms of it wasn't a penalty. Are you a Man U fan and referring to Ole and Ronaldo?