Leeds Utd 1-2 West Ham Utd (25/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Re: Leeds United vs West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Shabu »

Can you imagine being a 20 year old West Ham fan & not knowing the feeling of playing Leeds just knowing you were going to get turned over.

We only won 2 of the 24 Premier League games against them before they dropped. Overall we've only won 29 of 106 games against them in the entire history of the Planet Earth.

But now we're unbeaten in the last four with a pair of draws in the 2011/12 season in the Championship & the two wins last season.

I'm not happy that so many on here are confident & predicting a win :lol:

A 4 nil loss, just to balance things out.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

What Leeds struggle to do is to grind their way through games; they are either fluid and have enough energy to keep the ball in the opponent's side of the pitch, or they wilt and fail to plug gaps into which decent sides play before testing their keeper who has not yet got tough enough to properly command his box.

Our first eleven for me picks itself, even if some performers, such as Diop and Lanzini, played well enough recently to be considered in good enough form to be trusted if called upon.

Believe in fact that we might give them a hiding, if we score first and early too.

I take my hat off to anyone who is going, having already been to Manchester and Zagreb over the last week.

A full Elland Road is a decent place to watch a match.

Either Sou or a defender will score for us, possibly Bowen, too.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Shabu wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:30 pm Can you imagine being a 20 year old West Ham fan & not knowing the feeling of playing Leeds just knowing you were going to get turned over.
You obviously don't remember a certain Ian Pearce playing right wing back and taking them apart in a 3-0 mauling at the Boleyn back in the late 90's.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... g-peacocks
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

I was expecting the saints to have a number of players missing against us and didn't happen. I'm expecting something similar with this one.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2014 likes

Post by Shabu »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:01 pm You obviously don't remember a certain Ian Pearce playing right wing back and taking them apart in a 3-0 mauling at the Boleyn back in the late 90's.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/202 ... g-peacocks
You obviously don't remember all the other games when we got our arse handed to us.
The_Cheadley
Total likes: 1 like

Post by The_Cheadley »

I've got the same view as a lot of people which is Bowen will be rested for this game, and therefore assume a front 4 of Antonio, Vlasic, Fornals and Benrahma. My biggest concern with that is when Benrahma has played centrally, he sees more of the ball and appears more confident, which has been reflected in his performances both for the first couple of league games and pre season. However, Vlasic is also meant to be best through the middle, and form what I understand he struggled at Everton when out on the wing. So a tough decision to be made by Moyes as to how that group behind Antonio set up.
BethnalGreenHammer74
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by BethnalGreenHammer74 »

I can definitely see Bowen rested after the effort he put in on Wednesday night. He will be brought on with 20 odd mins to go if we are struggling.

I can see this being an entertaining game. I’m going for a 1-2 win with Soucek and Antonio for us.

This is the team I think Moyes will go with

Fabianski
Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
Rice Soucek
Benrahma Fornals Vlasic
Antonio

Subs: Areola, Johnson, Dawson, Kral, Noble, Masuaku, Lanzini, Bowen, Yarmolenko.

COYI!!
GSBOUT
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

No matter what team Leeds put out, they are always a threat and shouldn’t be taken lightly. No defensive lapses or silly errors puts us in a good shout, but still need to be at our best. Side picks itself if everyone is fit and not fatigued.

——————————Fabianski—————————
Coufal———Zouma——Ogbonna———Cresswell
————————Soucek——Rice————————
Bowen——————Benrahma——————Fornals
———————————Antonio———————————

Vlasic for Bowen if he’s fatigued. Areola should start the Europa game Thurs, I think he proved enough in the Carabao that he’s ready to go! Fabianski will have to play well to keep his position, which is a great thing to say!
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Quietly confident for this one. That usually ends well.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Should be an exciting game, though I think we should have too much for them.

Leeds 1 - West Ham 3

Hope Areola gets a league start to test his mettle.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

The_Cheadley wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:49 pm I've got the same view as a lot of people which is Bowen will be rested for this game, and therefore assume a front 4 of Antonio, Vlasic, Fornals and Benrahma. My biggest concern with that is when Benrahma has played centrally, he sees more of the ball and appears more confident, which has been reflected in his performances both for the first couple of league games and pre season. However, Vlasic is also meant to be best through the middle, and form what I understand he struggled at Everton when out on the wing. So a tough decision to be made by Moyes as to how that group behind Antonio set up.
They should be switching positions throughout the match - makes them very hard to mark.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Can obviously never take anything for granted but given their injury crisis we have to fancy ourselves up there Saturday.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

got to be time we scored from a corner hasn't it ?

0-2 West Ham - Ogbonna and Benrahma to score the second half goals :scarfer:
One Peter Butler
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 207 likes

Post by One Peter Butler »

Proper old away day out.

Watch yourselves in the tunnel.

4-1 win :hamm:
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by ironilunga »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:19 pm I think Bowen will be on bench for vlasic or lanzini
I think Lanzini’s recent performances really do make him as credible an option as Vlasic, Benrahma etc.

I think he might play against Leeds
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Shabu wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:58 pm You obviously don't remember all the other games when we got our arse handed to us.
They say ignorance is bliss. Only the other day Sendo Jr #1 said to me "West Ham win most of the time, don't they?" I nearly choked on my tea.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Hammers to win 12-0. Antonio scores 5, Fornals and Said a brace each, Cresswell, Soucek and Bowen. Probably.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am They say ignorance is bliss. Only the other day Sendo Jr #1 said to me "West Ham win most of the time, don't they?" I nearly choked on my tea.
“Are you pissed, son?”
Bucksexile
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

EvilC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 am Hammers to win 12-0. Antonio scores 5, Fornals and Said a brace each, Cresswell, Soucek and Bowen. Probably.
Totally agree. Maybe Fab will get one as well.

:scarfer:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

sendô wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am They say ignorance is bliss. Only the other day Sendo Jr #1 said to me "West Ham win most of the time, don't they?" I nearly choked on my tea.
Hahaha had this conversation with the mrs this morning as my son was born March last year. I said to her 'Christ if there was ever a time to get him into supporting West Ham it's now.' :crylol: