EL: West Ham Utd 2-0 Rapid Wien (30/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Rapid Wien: match thread

Post by Turns to Stone » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 am

I think those are performances that you call professional. Areola never troubled and it looked to me that as soon as we got the goal, the lads were playing to not get injured before the weekend and not expend too much energy. Rice barely left our half, which to me shows how well drilled they are.

They created nothing and aside from the pen I can't really think of a time they were even in our box.

Couple of points on the lads that came on. Fornals and Bowen ended up in their usual positions on the right and left which meant we looked much more solid defensively, whilst at the same time looking twice as good going forward. For Bowen and Fornals to be so good in the oppositions half, but to also put such a shift in and support their full back is fantastic.

Also, I saw some flashes in Vlasic last night. Reminds me a little of Benrahma when he first arrived. We did miss Bowen's pace with Yarmolenko, Benrahma and Vlasic behind Antonio though.

Finally, if you're going to play in Europe, you don't want a team turning up in a kit like that and with fans like that don't you. Otherwise what's the point.

Onwards.

sussexhammer74
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:13 am

Watched the game from my sick bed. A very good result in Europe. Seemed like a typical early round European night. Large periods where both sides were quite poor in possession but as others have said professional job done. We got 3 points and that is all that matters. We have come along way since the inter two Bob Cup and astra gugu

Dawson was an absolute rock at the back. Many didn't want him. Watford fans laughing because we took him off their hands. He has performed far better than I expected.i doff my cap to him. I will not get on his back when he makes the obligatory mistake in a west ham shirt. It is the wear ham way.

Diop was also an absolute monster along side him.

Benny needs confidence. He could have played it earlier sometimes instead on trying to beat his man/men with 16 stepovers. Don't help when Cresswell keeps throwing his arms in the air / looking at the bench when it fails for benny. A seasoned professional should be helping him there. Hopefully though the goal will boost him. Got to with on the hammers. Looked more like a butterfly.

Johnson did alright as well. Good backup who can come in and play.

Good result, coyi.

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Arnold Layne » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:23 am

Highlight was the Rapid fans choreographed hand waving in the 54th minute,you could tell they’d really worked on that. 7/10.

Football wise did what was needed,a swan song for Mr. Noble and a calm,well taken goal by Benny Boy. On we go.

Coops
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Coops » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:27 am

We were comfortably the better team, although I thought our game management was questionable at times. We sat far too deep after the subs were made in the second half, and it nearly cost us. We seemed happy to let them have the ball but kept backing off, this nearly cost us. I thought we looked a lot better when Fornals came on.
All of our defensive players played well, especially Dawson. I also thought young Johnson had a very good game.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 466 likes
Total likes: 774 likes

Post by S-H » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:28 am

Love Nobes, but I think he's given it one season too many, Unfortunately.

Seems well off the pace, physically.

Still has an eye for a pass, but I'd be disappointed to see him starting many more games..

Sorry..

Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 am

Too much talk about possibly winning this competition on tv last night and on here occasionally. We’ve had a brilliant start but that performance last night won’t do against teams in the knock out stage.

On a side note, it struck me how rare it is to see a professional athlete trip over his own feet anywhere else besides the penalty area.

ChzMff
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by ChzMff » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 am

I am getting a little annoyed with Benrahma's desire to quite clearly dive when in or around the box. He did it last night after a great bit of skill but then one touch to many so fell over. He needs to cut that out.

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Arnold Layne » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:28 am

Still has an eye for a pass, but I'd be disappointed to see him starting many more games..

Sorry..
Not sorry.

Prob
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Prob » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:43 am

It was job done type of game we didn't need to get out of 3rd gear and they had nothing to offer us. Would have been nice to get the 2nd goal sooner to make it more comfortable.

Keep it going finish top of the group.

The only down side is these games, they do attract some knob heads to sit in our home end. Cheap easy access to tickets. One guy sitting next to me booing and calling the players sheep for taking the knee, while the young kids behind him who come everyweek where clapping and wondering why this guy was acting like that. The only good thing is he won't be there at the weekend.

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:54 am
BJ and Dawson were my MOM last night. Love it when a youngster does the business.
Interesting you say that about BJ. My cousins who I went with thought BJ was poor and based on where he's at currently, he doesn't look anywhere good enough for PL football.

However, I've seen quite a few people - especially on Twitter - say that BJ was MOTM last night. From where I was sat, I thought he was okay and fairly solid defensively, but he doesn't offer a huge much else. I'm curious as to why some people thought he was MOTM.

I do hope he develops into some player, but I feel he has a way to go yet.

StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:45 am

Didn't think it was the greatest performance and (on TV at least) game felt strangely flat at times despite the atmosphere, but we made a load of changes and still won very comfortably against experienced European opposition. What more can you ask really?

British clubs in the Europa this season:

West Ham, 2 games, 6 points.

Leicester, Rangers, Celtic: 6 games, 1 point.

:scarfer:

We've absolutely got to lose to Brentford at the weekend otherwise I'm going to really start worrying about what's happened to the West Ham I know and love... :crylol:

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 94 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:49 am

Can't argue with the result, but I didn't think we played particularly well. The 2nd half was especially dull and atmosphere in the ground was flat. The most exciting moment was the ref checking the VAR monitor!

Still, it's a 2-0 victory, another clean sheet. We hit the post twice and restricted them to one shot on target, which was about 30 yards out. That's 6 wins in 9 games this season. A big upgrade on losing to Romanian minnows! Squad continues to defy expectations considering where we were 18 months ago.

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:52 am

First 20 minutes or so were very good from West Ham and the players/crowd all seemed to feed off of each other. I think it took about that long for the players to realise they were a clear step above the opposition and then the rest of the game was played out with the intensity of an FA Cup tie against a struggling Championship/decent League One side. Only real moment of worry in defence was the point in the 2nd half where it looked like 2 of theirs were going to exchange passes and get a shot off from inside the box, as it was they didn't even get that far before being shut out.

Would have been nice if those headers had gone in rather than hit the post if only to give Baptiste and Alese a chance to get on in the final minutes.

Centre Half
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Centre Half » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:16 am

S-H wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:28 am

Sorry..
I’m not sure he does have an eye for a pass, last night was backwards all the time.

yakandyeti
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by yakandyeti » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:19 am

I really think BJ needs a loan, playing week in, week out, ideally at right-back will do him the world of good, his first-team career with us has been so stop-start. If it's not in January it probably needs to be next season. I fear that a lack of LB cover and Fredricks' dodgy hamstrings will mean he never gets that opportunity and his career may be less than it could have been. I'm not convinced he will be a top 6/8 first-team regular, but could have a good career as our backup full back and there would be no disgrace in that. That said Ashby could overtake him.

Beedub
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Beedub » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:19 am

steveyrockstar wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:44 am
Interesting you say that about BJ. My cousins who I went with thought BJ was poor and based on where he's at currently, he doesn't look anywhere good enough for PL football.

However, I've seen quite a few people - especially on Twitter - say that BJ was MOTM last night. From where I was sat, I thought he was okay and fairly solid defensively, but he doesn't offer a huge much else. I'm curious as to why some people thought he was MOTM.

I do hope he develops into some player, but I feel he has a way to go yet.
I thought the only critism of BJ last night was his use with the ball, a few too many long balls to no one. In fairness to him though it’s probably better than trying to play a ball not on and costing us a goal

His physical attributes and defending are top notch IMO

fjthegrey
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 am

Johnson was clearly not MOTM yesterday.

Bloke is a really strong defender, borderline useless with the ball at his feet.

The difference in quality between him and Cresswell really stood out.

sendô
Has liked: 266 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by sendô » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 am

It wasn’t a game for the ages. Solid enough without getting out of second gear whilst making several changes. Having Noble and Yarm in there made us slower. The former in particular sadly looks well off the pace, getting his pocket picked 1st half when seemingly under little pressure.

Going forward our passing was slack at times. Vlasic seems to have benrahmas problem when he first came of trying to do too much.

The second half was flat and we weren’t great for much of it, but Rapid didn’t really look threatening. The penalty looked a clear one from where I was but VAR was right to overturn.

No idea how Bowen rounded the keeper then skied it over. Nonetheless Bowen and Fornals being on increased our quality.

Still, 2 wins from 2 and we’re apparently the bookies favourite to win the EL.

kitthehammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by kitthehammer » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am

fjthegrey wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 am
Johnson was clearly not MOTM yesterday.

Bloke is a really strong defender, borderline useless with the ball at his feet.

The difference in quality between him and Cresswell really stood out.
a bit harsh. although i agree to a degree , i wouldn't say useless.

Countryboy Returns

Post by Countryboy Returns » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:34 am

szola wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:51 am
Was it Yarmolenko who saw the pass to Antonio that pierced their defense, and effectively won the game for us?
The same player who in the last minutes of the first half, sprinted back to plug in the holes in our back line, not once but twice?

:nonpl:
Spot-on. That was the Yarmolenko I thought I was watching, too ... the cross-field pass to Antonio that set up the first goal was a gem, best ball of the night.

That said, Ben Johnson was sending some beautifully flighted quarterback-style passes down the right wing, over the heads of the defenders, for Antonio to run onto. Assuming Johnson's fit (he was clutching his back after one collision, late in the game), there's no need to panic if Fredericks and Coufal are out for the Brentford game on Sunday.