West Ham Utd 1-2 Brentford (03/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brentford: match thread

Post by We_are_BML »

Brentford are a strange bunch. There support yesterday probably had an average age of 65, 95% of them wearing replica shirts and sat down for the majority of the game. Odd. Its time to get rid of these sort of clubs out the league. Give me Nottingham Forest, Wednesday, Derby any day of the week
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

Chrissieboy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:52 am ... I started that match liking Brentford. They've done well to get into the Prem and proven a club that has an eye for talent and development. I was super impressed after 30 minutes. By 90 minutes I bloody hated them. They got away with so many fouls, plus timewasting and play acting and just the rub of the green with silly decisions like the 'foul' by Antonio on their keeper. The ref was awful but as others have already commented, they played anti-football for about 60 minutes after that blistering start...
Exactly my sentiments, too!
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

That’s the 5th consecutive time that we’ve faced a team in the top flight for the first time and Iost. Such a West Ham stat…
brothernero
Has liked: 741 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by brothernero »

We_are_BML wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:46 pm Brentford are a strange bunch. There support yesterday probably had an average age of 65, 95% of them wearing replica shirts and sat down for the majority of the game. Odd. Its time to get rid of these sort of clubs out the league. Give me Nottingham Forest, Wednesday, Derby any day of the week

No it really is not. They beat us, get over it. Muggy post imho.
Alan Pardew's Dad
Has liked: 860 likes
Total likes: 673 likes

Post by Alan Pardew's Dad »

brothernero wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:06 pm No it really is not. They beat us, get over it. Muggy post imho.
I’ve got to agree with you on this.

The fact that ‘small’ teams like Wigan, Bournemouth, Brentford etc can rise from the lower leagues to take their place in the sunlit uplands of the Premier League is what makes it great. I’m sure that in a few years they’ll be back down the leagues again, but it’ll give them some fantastic memories.
Hamburger
Has liked: 862 likes
Total likes: 445 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Centre Half wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:15 am We’ve got to be one of the most wasteful teams in the league in front of goal.

To be honest our finishing has troubled me for a while, couple of games last year really stick out in the memory, Man United at home when we should have been out of sight before half time, and Palace away where we won but missed a hatful.

Yesterday we had some great opportunities as well. It’s unfortunately usually the same culprits- Fornals and Bowen. Great players but they would be exceptional if they could finish.
I have to agree with this and with Puff. Statistically the top teams may have less percentage success but that's simply because they are better teams and create many more chances. I've said it before, neither Bowen or Fornals are good finishers and although Bowen got 5 assists last year, 3 were from corners - simply not good enough. Both good players but they have to improve their end product.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 pm I have to agree with this and with Puff. Statistically the top teams may have less percentage success but that's simply because they are better teams and create many more chances. I've said it before, neither Bowen or Fornals are good finishers and although Bowen got 5 assists last year, 3 were from corners - simply not good enough. Both good players but they have to improve their end product.
Sorry if you are a better team and better at shooting, why would you have a lower percentage success rate just because you have more shots???
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

We will certainly play worse and win (and we have). I think it is one of those games you are best not over analysing. I don't buy this tiredness excuse, particularly as we have just started the season and Moyes himself is dismissing such talk. We have a good enough team/squad to finish top 10, knock out stages of Europa and last eight of the cups. Anything else is a bonus (for me). I'm being entertained, if at times frustrated.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:00 pm We will certainly play worse and win (and we have). I think it is one of those games you are best not over analysing. I don't buy this tiredness excuse, particularly as we have just started the season and Moyes himself is dismissing such talk. We have a good enough team/squad to finish top 10, knock out stages of Europa and last eight of the cups. Anything else is a bonus (for me). I'm being entertained, if at times frustrated.
You are right in general, but the likes of Rice and Soucek must be suffering fatigue.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

Hamburger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 pm I have to agree with this and with Puff. Statistically the top teams may have less percentage success but that's simply because they are better teams and create many more chances. I've said it before, neither Bowen or Fornals are good finishers and although Bowen got 5 assists last year, 3 were from corners - simply not good enough. Both good players but they have to improve their end product.
But if they are better teams they should convert more of those chances. Your whole argument is flawed before you even go into the stats PF kindly provided which show it is complete nonsense.

You see Fornals scuff his shot or Bowen miss his header week in week out. You probably haven't seen Martial doing the same for Man Utd for the last however many months or Sancho or Grealish for City etc etc.

Our view of our own players is tainted in bias. That goes both for the positives and the negatives.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

We_are_BML wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:46 pm Brentford are a strange bunch. There support yesterday probably had an average age of 65, 95% of them wearing replica shirts and sat down for the majority of the game. Odd. Its time to get rid of these sort of clubs out the league. Give me Nottingham Forest, Wednesday, Derby any day of the week
I’m not sure how different Forest fans would be to that! :crossed:
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:08 pm You are right in general, but the likes of Rice and Soucek must be suffering fatigue.
Any fatigue is more likely to be mental rather than physical in these 'athletes'. I'm pretty sure that the coaching team and support staff (including sports phycologists) will manage the players according to their needs. I'm also pretty sure that there will be reduced 'physical' training during the week with more emphasis on ball work and set piece plays etc. Injuries, as the season progresses, will be a much bigger problem for us.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 pm Any fatigue is more likely to be mental rather than physical in these 'athletes'. I'm pretty sure that the coaching team and support staff (including sports phycologists) will manage the players according to their needs. I'm also pretty sure that there will be reduced 'physical' training during the week with more emphasis on ball work and set piece plays etc. Injuries, as the season progresses, will be a much bigger problem for us.
Yeah, but sportsmen generally need an off-season for proper recovery. Can't remember the last time these fellas had a proper block of rest.
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

The only problem is I think the fixtures so far have been kind you wait until the hard games come like playing away after europa we have had 2 home games so far after europa I think we will have alot more bad result hope not but u think we will
DublinDave
Has liked: 2752 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Garry wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:11 pm The only problem is I think the fixtures so far have been kind you wait until the hard games come like playing away after europa we have had 2 home games so far after europa I think we will have alot more bad result hope not but u think we will
Tbh, as long as we keep winning our Europa game's until we're safely top of the group, I'm ok with narrow losses the game after as long as I can see the lads tried, we should have drawn both games but fatigue is an issue... I'd love to be nailed on top of our Europa group with 2 games to play & rest the whole first team for them, maybe even give the lads a 3 day break from training...
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I dont like Brentford. Dirty team. And their manager is a concieted **** of a man. Pardon?
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

DublinDave wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:26 pm Tbh, as long as we keep winning our Europa game's until we're safely top of the group, I'm ok with narrow losses the game after as long as I can see the lads tried, we should have drawn both games but fatigue is an issue... I'd love to be nailed on top of our Europa group with 2 games to play & rest the whole first team for them, maybe even give the lads a 3 day break from training...
Can’t see it happening, I reckon it will go down to our last game with DZ, cant see them losing another game
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I think "tired" is often used as a description when it should be "slow".

In the first 15 minutes they were very good - probably the best 15 anyone has played against us in six months - but from then til the 92nd minute it was 18 shots to 5.

They only had three meaningful attacking passages of play in that time , but they yielded two goals

The second half was like the Siege of Stratford.

We didn't play badly - we got mugged.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

a tough one to take ,
just before brentfords late winner , a bloke near me chanted "one-nil and you ****ed it up "
i thought to myself dont jinx it ffs , then the inevitable happened ,gutted
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

daytimedave wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:01 pm
just before brentfords late winner , a bloke near me chanted "one-nil and you ****ed it up "
WTF is anyone doing singing that when you’re drawing 1-1 at home to Brentford…