West Ham Utd 1-2 Brentford (03/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brentford: match thread

Post by Colours never run » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:55 am

We're one of the highest scoring Teams in recent times, its just we create so many chances too. It may seem we miss far too much but really we still score a healthy amount of goals. Not only do we share the goals around the Team, we also boast a top scoring Striker bang in form.

We can always improve in front of goal, i just don't think its that much of a big issue. As long as the Team keeps creating and scoring plenty, Im generally happy. Defensively is where I feel we need to tighten up again whilst we keep scoring freely.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DublinDave
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by DublinDave » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:14 am

We were blown away by Brentford in the first 30 minutes, went on to dominate the game for 63 minutes then switched off in the final minute...
A disappointing result when we created so many chances but fair play to Brentford they never flagged like alot of teams do, their substitutions were key...
I don't like to say this but the Moysiah cocked that up a bit yesterday, after we scored the first we should have put on fresh legs & gone for the jugular...
Entertaining match though...

funky chicken
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by funky chicken » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:23 am

We do miss arguably too many chances per game. But the reason it feels noticeable is because defensively we are not doing our job. We’ve had only 1 clean sheet in the League so far and have let in 2 goals in 4 of those games. So straightaway the pressure is on our attacking players to score 2-4 goals every single game. The trouble is in the Premier League that’s easier said than done. As not every club will be a pushover. There’ll be some teams that’ll be so solid defensively that getting even 1 goal is an achievement. But what do we do when our defence is constantly leaking in goals?

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:34 am

A lot has been written on this thread about our wastefulness in front of goal. It drives me to distraction too and has done for years. It seems to me, that no matter is manager, our shooting in goal scoring positions is still poor. Yes, Bowen hit his hard and true for his goal yesterday, but that is a rarity, all too often, shots are poorly executed and this is shown up on TV replays. I have just seen Wissa's late winner for Brentford again and am thinking I wonder if one of our would've it so true,?

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Georgee Paris » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:09 am

“Bus stop in Hounslow, we’re just a bus stop in Hounslow”
Best response I could come up with was “hamlet in Essex, we’re just a hamlet in Essex” but I didn’t know how that would go down with the East London crowd and if it was historically or geographically correct. That was the highlight of yesterday for me.

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:19 am

Vlasic was stood by the touchline waiting to come on when Bowen scored, at which point Moyes cancelled the substitution. Given the score was only 1-1 then, why would he have done that?

larryberyl

Post by larryberyl » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:29 am

he thought we would go on and win it I guess.

I thought soucek had a poor game and clearly needs a rest as does rice but no they are away on internationals. the warning signs are there with rice as he is showing signs of wear and tear. hopefully he doesnt play both england matches as we have tough game after the break at everton.

brentford got at us with energy and pressing which is fine but their time wasting and feigning injuries was not nice to see. some may call it professional but its a form of cheating ! no added time for their time wasting and they dont get their 94th minute winner !

a draw would be fair .

we dont seem to have a plan B if giving to antonio doesnt work. benrahma was poor and our finishing was also.

onto the next one

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Arnold Layne » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am

Sneaky Bees. Bad referee.

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:03 am

Does anybody know which competition the ref won to get the chance to officiate ? Was it on the back of Corn Flakes ?

WebmasterFF
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by WebmasterFF » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:15 am

As much as we were poor yesterday, I think tactically Brentford were set up very well to nullify our strengths

Brentford playing with a back three, all of them being 6ft+ nullified Antonio in my opinion - every time he pushed out wide with the ball one would always be in him leaving two CB in the middle which negated any run from deep to get on a cross.

They shifted well between attack and defence, seemed to get 11 men behind the ball quickly and really left us with little outlets which meant we went long too many times. How many sideways/backwards passes did we do as a result because of a lack of options?

Another thing I noticed from their formation was that when they had a goal kick was that it went toward Toney every time - Coufal ended up pushing up half way between him and the LWB leaving Zouma to cover. This really stretched our defence and meant a couple of times Oggy drifted across a couple of times when we lost the header leaving a huge gap in the middle. Think Moyes needs to work on that for when we play against a back 3 again.

As for us, we've lost 2 of our last 20 games or something ridiculous. We missed a lot of chances and fell foul to some really soft refereeing decisions (seemed happy to not book them for cynical fouls which I was disappointed with and still not sure their free kick was a foul). I can understand why Moyes didn't make a sub - Vlasic was about to come on when we scored so why change when we have momentum?

Poor day at the office, however had one of the 1st half headers/attempts gone in then could have been a different result. Onwards and upwards

WestHamLyallStyle

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:38 am

WebmasterFF wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:15 am
As much as we were poor yesterday, I think tactically Brentford were set up very well to nullify our strengths

Brentford playing with a back three, all of them being 6ft+ nullified Antonio in my opinion - every time he pushed out wide with the ball one would always be in him leaving two CB in the middle which negated any run from deep to get on a cross.

They shifted well between attack and defence, seemed to get 11 men behind the ball quickly and really left us with little outlets which meant we went long too many times. How many sideways/backwards passes did we do as a result because of a lack of options?

Another thing I noticed from their formation was that when they had a goal kick was that it went toward Toney every time - Coufal ended up pushing up half way between him and the LWB leaving Zouma to cover. This really stretched our defence and meant a couple of times Oggy drifted across a couple of times when we lost the header leaving a huge gap in the middle. Think Moyes needs to work on that for when we play against a back 3 again.

As for us, we've lost 2 of our last 20 games or something ridiculous. We missed a lot of chances and fell foul to some really soft refereeing decisions (seemed happy to not book them for cynical fouls which I was disappointed with and still not sure their free kick was a foul). I can understand why Moyes didn't make a sub - Vlasic was about to come on when we scored so why change when we have momentum?

Poor day at the office, however had one of the 1st half headers/attempts gone in then could have been a different result. Onwards and upwards
This is why we struggle against Brighton. They play 3 big lumps at the back and 5 across the middle. When we play teams that line up 352 we need to play high up the pitch and get runners in behind.

Aceface
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Aceface » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:46 am

Don't know that it's necessarily because we run out of puff – it's still early in the season – but it's noticeable we've dropped points in the 90th minute twice in two home games, and by rights probably should have done it three times in a row given Guehi's free header at the end of the game against Palace where we thankfully got lucky.

Comfortably Southampton's most threatening period in their game was in the final 15 minutes too.

An argument for fresh legs in the final 20 mins maybe?

Caribiron
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Caribiron » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 am

Brentford did a good job on us. Antonio was lost against their back three. We were v poor at picking up the 2nd ball until the 2nd half. Our work (or lack of it) off the ball in the first half made them look like Barcelona at times as they always had a willing runner and options. We were just too pedestrian. Looked like Tony targetted Coufal and it worked.

Second half obviously improved and should have won the game.

The time wasting was hugely frustrating but I'm not sure that was the objective, it looked like they were specifically trying to stop us getting any rhythm at all. Add slowing every throw kick etc down to "professional" fouls across the pitch and the targeting of Fabianski with the ball in his hands by Toney and they were very effective at breaking down our momentum.

The ref was shocking. Quite how throwing Antonio to the ground doesn't deserve a yellow god only knows. How Toney was allowed to block Fabs again and again without any comment from the ref was astonishing. U11s get.pulled up for that! So many of the professional fouls would have stopped if a yellow card had been introduced earlier than the last 5 minutes.

But...Brentford would have known what they were getting in the ref and played that for all it was worth. If it was the other way round we would have shrugged our shoulders and taken the points.

WestHamLyallStyle

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am

Aceface wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:46 am
Don't know that it's necessarily because we run out of puff – it's still early in the season – but it's noticeable we've dropped points in the 90th minute twice in two home games, and by rights probably should have done it three times in a row given Guehi's free header at the end of the game against Palace where we thankfully got lucky.

Comfortably Southampton's most threatening period in their game was in the final 15 minutes too.

An argument for fresh legs in the final 20 mins maybe?
We looked strong late on at Leeds. I can only imagine DM doesn’t trust the players he has on the bench. Maybe Masuaku could’ve come on as he has pace. Lanzini and Yarmolenko are just bit part players nowadays.

irving boleyn
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by irving boleyn » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am

v.g.summaries Webmaster and Caribiron.

It seems that we won't win many matches if Micky's threat is neutralised.

mushy
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by mushy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am

Hugh Jargon wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:46 pm
BRENTFORD are shiite. Guaranteed relegation next season. Several players were miles off Premier league standard. The LB was hilariously bad.

We was robbed.
I actually thought they looked really good first half.

steps
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by steps » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 am

WestHamLyallStyle wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am
We looked strong late on at Leeds. I can only imagine DM doesn’t trust the players he has on the bench. Maybe Masuaku could’ve come on as he has pace. Lanzini and Yarmolenko are just bit part players nowadays.
I thought we were poor in the first half against Leeds, as we were yesterday. We have started games slowly this season, in the league anyway.

Last season we were blowing teams in away in the first half, maybe it was the Lingard factor as some have pointed out.

mushy
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by mushy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 am

steveyrockstar wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:19 am
Vlasic was stood by the touchline waiting to come on when Bowen scored, at which point Moyes cancelled the substitution. Given the score was only 1-1 then, why would he have done that?
Momentum was with us at the time.
Vlasic would have replaced Bowen (so I was told) so it seemed illogical to pull the goal scorer.
I would have taken off Benrhama, who in my opinion continues to flatter to deceive.

Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:16 am

Thought we were poor for the most part yesterday, Brentford the better side and deserved the win without doubt. Same old issues, a mixture of lack of squad depth and Moyes dithering on subs again adding up to inaction until it was too late. Had a neutral with me yesterday and he made a very decent comment, in that spell when the game was 1-0 Brentford and then again when it was 1-1 and we weren't really threatening surely you bring another striker on if you have one? I get what people are saying that Moyes seems happy enough with a false 9 but in that situation another striker obviously gives us something more going forward but more importantly occupies some of their players and drops them deeper? To me even a dull transfer of someone like Carroll, Deeney etc this summer for 15-20 mins at the end of games exactly like yesterdays is a no brainer.

One final word, how **** were Brentford fans? For a sell out away end it has to be one of the worst ever at the new gaff?

WestHamLyallStyle

Post by WestHamLyallStyle » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:17 am

mushy wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 am
Momentum was with us at the time.
Vlasic would have replaced Bowen (so I was told) so it seemed illogical to pull the goal scorer.
I would have taken off Benrhama, who in my opinion continues to flatter to deceive.
I would’ve pulled Fornals as much as I like him.