Anyone got an Xbox One Series X ?

Forum for discussion related to video gaming on both current gen and retro platforms.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Anyone got an Xbox One Series X ?

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Thought I'd buy an Xbox Series X for our boy but I've discovered no one's got them . :grin:

Has anyone managed to buy one and are they good ?

I take it you'd need to buy a 4k tv to get the best out of them ?

Read somewhere tonight that they may not be available until 2023 , is that right ???
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Re: Anyone got an Xbox One Series X ?

Post by DasNutNock2 »

You can get one before 2023, but you’ll need to be prepared to scan availability checkers, stock updates etc and move quick when stock comes in.

Ideally you want a 4k 120hz TV that features HDMI 2.1 and a few other things such as ALL (auto low latency mode), Dolby Vision (high end HDR colour gamut) and VRR (variable refresh rate, to mitigate screen tear). But it’ll still look amazing on any reasonably nice screen.

If you only have a 1080p/60Hz TV and don’t want to upgrade, you might be better off looking at the Series S, which is more tailored for that screen spec. Another option is to buy a dedicated gaming monitor, which can be picked up at a reasonable price, which supports the high performance stuff this generation of consoles can utilise.
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

I do, and would recommend at least a 4K TV to get the most out of it. Mine is 60hz and I don't feel like I am missing anything, but I find the difference between 60 and 120hz almost imperceptible. Where I have the option, I prefer to play games with 'prettier' graphics which don't make the most of 120hz TVs anyway.

I absolutely love the Series X. I had a One S before this and the X absolutely blows it away. Older games run great, load a lot quicker (you won't have time to read those loading screen tips, the only downside) and the new games look amazing. It looks better than using a PC which costs 3x as much.

What I did was join a discord from here: https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-series-x

Download the Discord app to your phone (or Telegram), make sure that you have notifications set on. Follow the link as soon as you get the notification and you can probably nab one. They come into stock in various places at seemingly random intervals. I got mine from Curry's by reloading a page that told me it was out of stock a few minutes after the notification, and it was delivered 2 days later :newthumb:

To anyone, don't buy from the scalpers for inflated prices. They are scum. Probably a bunch of T***enham supporters.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

I bought this TV to go with my Series X

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49nano866n ... k/p4929599
The Old Man of Storr

Thanks , lads - appreciate your input - Bobby - I don't own a phone but my wife has one - you have to travel 3 miles from our home to get a signal but yeah it could be worth it - I'm on Curry's email list - also I think I noticed on Amazon that you could pre-order one [ I might be wrong though ] - I'll keep my eyes peeled .

Be good to get him some sort of 4k TV , we'll see .
bobby0303
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by bobby0303 »

Ah right. I guess from your username that you're based in the Isle of Skye (lovely place, nearly went and bought a place near Earlish last year). But I am assuming you have some form of wifi? Even if it is terribly slow.

I say that, as by the time notification emails come through the stock tends to get gobbled up. The apps are a lot quicker and just give you a direct link, just make sure the phone is connected to wifi. I know how the signal is on Skye. I went there for a week once and my family thought about calling the police thinking that I had gone missing :grin:

If you can pre-order, that's the way to go I would think. Not seen it myself, but of course I've stopped looking!
The Old Man of Storr

Had an email from Stockinformer but the link they gave wasn't successful . :grin:
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:28 pm Had an email from Stockinformer but the link they gave wasn't successful . :grin:
Keep a tab open, and keep an eye on it, refresh it often.

That's what I did, don't rely on them informing you.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I managed to buy two PS5s last year (one for release day and one for my Nephew mid November). Both from Very and both after having a notification from Stockinformer.
The Old Man of Storr

Got a message yesterday - a link to Currys -

It's one of those deals whereby you have to buy a controller , a FIFA 21 game and a 3 month pass - total - £675

Mrs overruled me .
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:01 am Got a message yesterday - a link to Currys -

It's one of those deals whereby you have to buy a controller , a FIFA 21 game and a 3 month pass - total - £675

Mrs overruled me .
The Old Man of Storr

I was uite happy to press he button . :grin:

But to be perfectly fair to our boy he's never asked for an Xbox Series X and seems perfectly happy with with his Xbox One - it was just an idea that came to us on his birthday .

Was speaking to an Argos employee the other day , she told me they had some PS5s in earlier that week but they all went in minutes , I asked her whether the Argos workers had any perks such as being able to reserve an item such as Xbox Series X or a PS5 , she sid ' No , we're not even told when they're coming in . '

Got another couple of emails linking me to Amazon telling me they had XBSX in stock - they didn't , it was a link to the Xbox Series S both times .

Ah well - I guess we'll have to wait until every shop has one and they become the norm .
Merv
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Merv »

I saw a recommendation on here a few days back (can’t remember from who!) to download the app “HotStock” and set an alert for the Xbox. Within 24 hours there was an alert for stock at Amazon, and it was delivered within 48 hours.

So thank you, whoever you were! :grin:
binary
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by binary »

I got mine on launch day. I probably would have gone for a PS5 but that release was a complete clusterf*ck and i managed to snag a Series X at the moment they went online. I also got the developers licence and installed Retroarch with a ton of retro games on my HDD, and it's just superb. I'm a big physical games collector but Game pass is such ridiculous value for money, i couldn't turn that down.
The Old Man of Storr

I may have managed to get hold of one - they confirmed that the order has gone in anyway .

Won't arrive till after Christmas but it's the best I could do .
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Picked one up from Argos this week, seems to be supply starting to hit the market.
The Old Man of Storr

Arch Dandy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:44 am Picked one up from Argos this week, seems to be supply starting to hit the market.
Good . :newthumb:

Got ours from Very.com - it's suppose to be arriving next Wednesday .
The Old Man of Storr

Correction - it arrived today when we're in Inverness - Mrs phoned our neighbour who found it in the black plastic box I'd put out by the road for letters while we were away . Phew !!
The Old Man of Storr

p.s. They've got one in Argos Fort William - collection only -
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Just bought the Xbox S Series. It's a digital only console obviously, but i've got a £50 voucher from work to spend on Amazon.

Will this give me what i want?

See "Xbox Download Code"