Ted Lasso

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 662 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Ted Lasso

Post by window74 »

Guessing this show isn't being shown at the same rate we are getting it in the US or is it just not that popular back home?

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the show & after tonight's season 2 finale, without giving away anything I thought I would see if there was any chatter going on between actual fans of the beautiful game itself.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: Ted Lasso

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I'm hoping for Bluray/DVD release of it. Looks good. :newthumb:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 796 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Think it's on Apple+ or something. Which I do not have.
CMNinja
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

I've watched the first three on a stream and enjoyed them. It's not outstanding but it's quite charming and upbeat which is hard to find. Some of the acting from the team jars a bit in contrast to the more polished comic chops of the American leads and the more experienced Brits. AFC Richmond, tho?

Reasons to watch:
1. Charming and positive
2. Affectionate US take on football
3-10. Hannah Waddingham
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

window74 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:14 am Guessing this show isn't being shown at the same rate we are getting it in the US or is it just not that popular back home?

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to the show & after tonight's season 2 finale, without giving away anything I thought I would see if there was any chatter going on between actual fans of the beautiful game itself.
I've enjoyed it. Funny, but it has heart, much like Bill Lawrence's other work especially Scrubs. The finale was interesting but I'm kind of apprehensive about it for obvious reasons. It's hard enough to suspend disbelief as it is, let alone knowing what we know. Season 3 should resolve a lot of the issues that have unfolded, so I'm looking forward to it already.
Le Rascal de Boleyn
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Le Rascal de Boleyn »

I've been watching it thanks to a free Apple TV subscription on the back of buying a new laptop. It is definitely worth watching as others have described above. It is pretty much the only good show on that platform so would recommend waiting until both seasons fully available and then just subscribe for a month and binge.

Intrigued by the S2 finale. Wasn't expecting that and invested in the third now!!
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

It's a great show and has me laughing and crying in equal measure. At its heart it's about mental health and that everyone has difficult emotional and mental health issues that aren't immediately apparent. For that reason the 'football environment ' is especially poignant because as outsiders looking in, it is assumed the people associated with football have it made and don't have hardly a care in the world.
It's not a football show, so don't get hung up on the 'poor' football acting and realism.
It has really made me think about different aspects of my life actually.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Excellent soundtrack too 👍
'stone hammer
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 525 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

I finished the first series a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it, but the series went downhill as it went on for me. First couple of episodes started off very funny, but became increasingly drama-focused as it went on. Jason Sudekis is absolutely brilliant, he really brings Ned Flanders to life.

One thing that did irk me was the British cast constantly coming out with Americanisms, such as 'you're mad at me', 'parking lot' etc.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:13 pm Excellent soundtrack too 👍
Having just heard Mumford singing You’ll Never Walk Alone at the end of the first season, I’d like to retract my previous statement.
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

interesting development in the last episode of Series 2. . . . Won't spoil it for you.

Not sure about motive and source since the writer is a Tottenham fan.

TBH I think that the series has already run its course. Promised a lot, but not that great as it turned out IMHO. Plus my American colleagues think that London is just like that . . . plus the local pub has fans in it watching home games on TV. Stupid.
Shabu
Has liked: 4188 likes
Total likes: 2047 likes

Post by Shabu »

I haven't seen it but I know what the plot twist is that people are talking about :lol:

I did have a woman say to me about six months ago that soccer was becoming popular in America because of this show. Bless her cotton socks.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I just watched the series two finale. Interesting pick of team. I felt the first series was better. Still wasn't bad though.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Just finished this series.

To start with I thought it was a pile of sh*t but the turning point was when Ted said his goal was just to make the players better men and that results didn’t matter.

Ever since I’ve thought it’s genius insight into mental health and psychology, having just completed a course on Psychology and how it works in business.

Can’t wait for the next series and Sudekis delivers this programme with such quality that I now understand why it wins all its awards.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I was late to the party with this, but despite initial reservations I really enjoyed it

Of course it is monumentally cheesy and not true to life in anyway, but entertaining nonetheless with some brilliant characters, particularly Roy Kent

The one thing that annoyed me was that despite correcting all of Ted's American phrases, 'tie' was allowed to remain in the script and not 'draw'. That irked me

Will be interesting to see how Series 3 pans out following the twist at end of series 2
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 756 likes
Total likes: 3479 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

I've never watched this, but understand WHUFC will be involved to a much greater degree in S3.

https://tvline.com/2022/02/08/ted-lasso ... -spoilers/
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

It's good fun, I like it.
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:52 pm It's good fun, I like it.
Yes, makes a good change and has more to it than appears on the surface and I wonder any of ours will feature in season 3.
neil_d
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by neil_d »

Looks like a fair bit of West Ham featuring from the trailer:
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

Are we the bad guys?