Sobriety

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Re: Are these figures correct?

Post by wolf359 »

fjthegrey wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:16 am Safe to say that the dangers of little and often are now starkly clear. So easy to slip into a pattern that, much quicker than you'd think, becomes a dependency.
Yeap, sounds familiar, my few beers over the weekend, became all weekend, then some Mondays, the odd Wednesday... and so on.

Knocked it one the head day 223 (I think) today. going to a summer party (work) tomorrow with a free bar etc. I'll be on the 0% or fizzy pop. Don't miss it at all. If I/it can't play nice then not bothering seems the way ahead for me.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

I can’t let my hair down without a drink inside me. It’s because everyone else in the pub is on it and I’m not. I like to sing karaoke and even dance a little. I can’t do it sober.

Last Friday I played FIFA and watched Sky Sports drinking Diet Coke. I could do that most Fridays now when I usually went out.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

wolf359 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:26 am Yeap, sounds familiar, my few beers over the weekend, became all weekend, then some Mondays, the odd Wednesday... and so on.
Even if it doesn't escalate to extremes though, the sum total of just casually numbing yourself with a few drinks each night is surely a terrible thing.

I absolutely hate being drunk around my son as well. I have to do better. I know I don't need a drink. I don't ever feel self conscious in any social setting, I don't get embarrassed, don't really know what that even feels like to be honest. Just seems to be a meaningless habit I have.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

There isn't one situation when I think 'this would be better with a drink'.
I realise I'm very lucky in that respect.
Good luck to all those on here trying to break the habit. :newthumb:
If you fall off the wagon, don't matter, you can get back on it.
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

So after a very rough July in which I missed working most of the month (mainly without pay) through a bad back & then covid - which I think I caught on my first day back at work - I'm now on day 26 without alcohol & I've also dropped 7/8kg or about a stone.

I've also averaged 10 miles a day on my feet since my all clear 17 days ago & am now totally f*cking knackered. It feels like the strings have been cut on a puppet. Luckily I have today off for the boxing so am doing f*ck all except lay around watching sport.

Feels weird watching a big fight without a load of beer & wine in the fridge but this will be the new normal for me. I hope.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Great work, Shabs

Keep it up
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Shabu wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:41 pm
Feels weird watching a big fight without a load of beer & wine in the fridge but this will be the new normal for me. I hope.
Yeah, it’s odd isn’t it? Was what neatly got me early on (Our games test the nerves of anyone). I’m 232 days in, sat watching the boxing with a protein shake by my side. Personally I broke the connection quickly and I doubt I’ll ever reestablish it.

Keep going, changing behaviours can take time, I started by filling my evenings, might be the gym, a walk or just staying around at work (even if not working - my environment let’s me to that) , finding a replacement seems to be the key. Though I’m not expert on it.

I tried 0% for a while but found a didn’t want the taste of ( fake) beer. I drink mainly water now.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

wolf359 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:46 pm Yeah, it’s odd isn’t it? Was what neatly got me early on (Our games test the nervous of anyone). I’m 232 days in, sat watching the boxing with a protein shake by my side. Personally I broke the connection quickly and I doubt I’ll ever reestablish it.

Keep going, changing behaviours can take time, I started by filling my evenings, might be the gym, a walk or just staying around at work (even if not working - my environment let’s me to that) , finding a replacement seems to be the key. Though I’m not expert on it.

I tried 0% for a while but found a didn’t want the taste of ( fake) beer. I drink mainly water now.
I work 2pm-10pm 4 days a week so it's gym in the morning then straight to bed after work (used to be sit up til 2am drinking & eating cheese on toast).

Days off was the big crunch but I've passed a few now.

Found a shop that sells CBD sparkling fruit flavoured water (no sugar or calories) and the CBD helps with general aches and pains so one of them before bed is a help.

Going on holiday in 3 weeks & I will probably drink but not get caned then back on the wagon when I get home.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Now on day 32, which means I've done over a month. Probably the longest since I was about ten or so :grin:

Been craving a pint of white wine, Allardyce stylee, lately though.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Just shy of 7 weeks and as of this morning 14 lbs / 6 Kg down.

Upped the walking to 14k steps a day and at least 50 miles a week cycling, legs are knackered. :crossed: To think, all through my 30s I did nearly 200 miles a week.

Holiday in 10 days will be tough to keep some of it up.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Jonah wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:23 pm Just shy of 7 weeks and as of this morning 14 lbs / 6 Kg down.

Upped the walking to 14k steps a day and at least 50 miles a week cycling, legs are knackered. :crossed: To think, all through my 30s I did nearly 200 miles a week.

Holiday in 10 days will be tough to keep some of it up.
mad the effort need to undo years of beer and pizza. Almost 240 days for me alcohol free for me, over 20kg lost, BMI is now 21. waist 30inches .

Now healthy by almost every metric my Apple watch/Smart Scales can measure. waist 8 inches less... Like you 10K+ steps a day, odd bike ride, gym 3-5 times a week.

Most of the facilitated by not settling down in front of the TV with a glass of wine and then deciding to eat crap and just stay there.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

8 inches off the waist! Well in, mate.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:34 pm 8 inches off the waist! Well in, mate.
Thanks. Well 8 inch off the trousers - I have to get some 38s (needed a belt and were a bit loose) now can fit into 30s without a belt.. so probably 7 but still not bad.
Last edited by wolf359 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Last time I had 30 inch waist I was still in School uniform. :lol:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I lost over 15 pounds first three weeks then nothing last 10 days.
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Over 40 days without a drink now.

Very pleased with myself. Not just for not drinking but mainly for doing stuff without basing my day around the drinks. Changing my mindset has been a big surprise & bonus.

Still crappy sleep though
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

I did 49 days without drinking (and lost 10kg) then spent 9 days in Mexico eating* and drinking and put 3kg back on.

Didn't drink yesterday and did a slow 8km jog and already down 1kg.

Really looking forward to not drinking again. Enjoy the mornings, the money saved, the weight loss and just getting more done.

* - for some reason I love the Italian food in Mexico. Or maybe I just don't like American Italian food
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Shabu wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:25 pm Been craving a pint of white wine, Allardyce stylee, lately though.
Don't make me come over there ....!!! :swear:
Shabu

Post by Shabu »

Haven't slept and been grumpy for the last couple of weeks so last night I went to a bar for a few beers then continued drinking a bottle of wine at home. First time drinking in America in 10 weeks.

Now I'm hungover and back on the wagon :grin:
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by hammer etc »

My older brother died from alcoholism 5 years ago. I've been talking to my younger brother who also has a bad drink problem. He says he's trying to give it up. After a length of time he he usually fails and goes completely over the top with the booze. The issue I have is he says he's been told to continue drinking after these sessions by the hospital. So about 4 weeks after one of these sessions he's still drinking for health reasons. I think I know the answer that he is talking nonsense?