West Ham Utd 1-0 Tottenham Hotspur (24/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:11 pm someone brighter than me said that how can Kane be captain and instill a belief in his teammates when he clearly doesnt even want to be there

compare that with our club captain and the team captain
Well said. Says it all about their current predicament and the way everyone is in total harmony wanting to play for us right now. We're very fortunate in that sense.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm "I can't help but feel West Ham sat off us because they didn't have the energy to really press, after quite a few of their players played in the Europa in midweek. Add to that, Moyes must have felt that all Nuno's team offer in an attacking sense is to get in behind on the break. So they took it easy and allowed us possession and we didn't do a lot with it. At the other end, I think West Ham believed they could get a chance to win it with a cross, either from open play or a set-piece. Every time they crossed it, they looked threatening. We look like a mid-table team with a mid-table coach."
- meaningless-friendly

Among all the ***** they spouted, there was a fair assessment in there with the above.
A rare Spurs fan who knows a bit about football. Spot on assessment.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 pm People, rightly, praise Rice and Soucek for the defensive work they did in stopping the Spurs attack yet it was Benrahma and Fornals fault we did not do more going forward?

Credit should be given to both Hojbjerg and Skipp for the work they did stopping them. Possible the one defensive mistake any of the four really made (Skipp missing the header) lead to the only goal of the game. Defences were on top because the four central midfielders all had very good games when it came to nullifying the opposition threat.
I would say Bowen offers more in a tough game as he can put himself about a bit. Benrahma tries, but Vlasic would probably be a more of a robust presence in a game like yesterday's.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

Apart from a few comments, the absolute state of that OV.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Even dry statistical indexes are mugging them off now

Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Gsbgsb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 pm People, rightly, praise Rice and Soucek for the defensive work they did in stopping the Spurs attack yet it was Benrahma and Fornals fault we did not do more going forward?

Credit should be given to both Hojbjerg and Skipp for the work they did stopping them.
Are people criticising Benrahma for being quiet and marked out of the game? My impression was any criticism was because he was in the game but wasteful with the ball. Not a huge amount to do with Skipp if Benny gets the ball stuck under his feet for the fifth time or doesn't see the easier pass in the box.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I expected a good laugh from the OV and was not disappointed. How those jokers think their club is an elite one worthy of playing in a European Super League is just plain risible. We did not play all that well but were good enough to beat a team that were truly dire.
I know it has been posted before but I still chuckle at this
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Spurs fans have always been and will always be the most deluded bunch of fans you will ever meet,sorry Modern I do know there are reasonable fans as well,but the majority are deluded about their club without anything to back it up.
Trying to get into the ESL sums the club up,I have followed football for 60 years and have never seen them win the title.but you listen to them they feel they are biggest team in London,I know we have not won anywhere near what they have won but that why I love beating them and being above them because I know it really hurts them.
Colours never run

Aceface wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Hahaha... Forwarded
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

1 of them posted about 20 years of failure.
What happened 20 years ago?
Oldun
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

I do have many friends who are Spurs fans but I try never to discuss our clubs because I know I will get angry about it.
There are others who are not friends that I love to wind up.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I appreciate it is probably a trick of the camera angle but in today's 'Sun' there is a picture of the moment Antonio stabbed in the winner of him completely surrounded by 8 yes 8, dozyTottenham players, Dier, Kane, Skipp, Emerson Royal, Moura, Hojberg, Reguilon and Son and only Iron Mike, the only Hammer on amongst them, yet hewas the one who got on the end of Cresswell's cross into the box.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Turns to Stone wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 pm
there is far less between the two teams than there was this time last year.
I disagree, I think we’ve pulled further away from them.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

carnage wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:18 pm I disagree, I think we’ve pulled further away from them.
I wouldn't want to swap many of their players for ours. Apart from Son and Kane, and even then, you can't have Kane ahead of Antonio on current form. A couple of years ago and we'd be taking at least 8 of theirs for our starting XI.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I thought the ov this week was actually really rather rational.

Nuno = Mason with a funny beard actually made me laugh.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Not bad for a team that was “too tired to press”
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Some of the criticism of Benhrama is harsh IMHO. It wasn't thr type of game where he would have free reign to attack and he put in a very disciplined performance IMHO
Yes his official contributions (goals and assists) have decreased recently but he is still playing well
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 351 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

I commented during the game that Benny and Hojberg effectively cancelled each other out as they both had quiet games essentially marking each other out of the game.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:59 pm Some of the criticism of Benhrama is harsh IMHO. It wasn't thr type of game where he would have free reign to attack and he put in a very disciplined performance IMHO
Yes his official contributions (goals and assists) have decreased recently but he is still playing well
I agree and would say the same about Soucek, in terms of discipline and effectiveness.

The 2 & 3 in the formation we play are having an excellent start to a second season of blended give and take. They are each decent players, but they make each other better with a kind of wavelength that, across 5 players, exists only in the upper echelons of the league.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2648 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by EvilC »

Disappointing OV, they were fairly reasonable. There wasn’t even any complaining about the penalty that they should have had.