Aston Villa 1-4 West Ham Utd (31/10/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 293 likes

Re: ⚽ Aston Villa vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by SiO »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:05 am Doc, can you enlighten me? Haven't heard that story in my 30 years supporting the club :shocker:
As memory serves it was down to a bet about who had the quicker player, the stakes being a bag of kit. Our player was quicker, hence the kit being handed our way.

Thats how I remember the story I'm any respect. More scholars club historians might paint in the numbers a little, but that's the crux I think. I standbto be corrected, and the full answer might be in the thread like UTJ provided above (I didn't go through all 22 pages however)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

SiO wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 am I standbto be corrected, and the full answer might be in the thread like UTJ provided above (I didn't go through all 22 pages however)
Find some time to if you can... It's a fascinating read featuring some extensive research into the source of the club's colours.

But to cut a long story short, there is no evidence to support the myth that West Ham wear claret and blue because of a bet won by ex Hammer Charlie Dove.
SiO

Post by SiO »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am Find some time to if you can... It's a fascinating read featuring some extensive research into the source of the club's colours.

But to cut a long story short, there is no evidence to support the myth that West Ham wear claret and blue because of a bet won by ex Hammer Charlie Dove.
Ah, there you go. Funny how you get stuck on an idea! Yeah, I'll take a read later UTJ. Holed up with Covid gives me time if nowt else! Cheers :newthumb:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 927 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:43 am Au contraire, dear Pablo.

viewtopic.php?t=116934
Cheers boss … as they say, every day is a learning day!! 👍🏼
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Watched MOTD2 last night, highlights are obviously always very different from watching the 90, plus the analysis after, which was vvvv good from Dublin/Wilder. In the 90 I thought we were off it more than we actually were, we created more than I had realised as well, the Cash header from Bowen to take us to 2 nil, the saves from Martinez, the inter play, in short, that was a much more polished performance than I gave us credit for originally, happy days indeed.

As for the OV, some balanced ones but some absolute delusional crackers in there as well :lol:

We really are a very good team presently :scarfer:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

clawhammer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:52 am I still have my,ahem,peach shirt :chin:
Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am some extensive research into the source of the club's colours.
:D Where is Bobby O?
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:43 am Au contraire, dear Pablo.

viewtopic.php?t=116934
I remember this thread. Was very interesting.

Whatever happened to ironworx? Does he still post here?
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:49 am What ever happened to that Villa fan that was posting on here, saying Grealish wasn't a cheat?

I'd love for him to come back on..

I saw some hilarious posts on FB after the Tap-In Tom Daley’s first few games for Man City. Villa fans saying that he’s started diving now he plays for a title-challenging side! :rofl: :rofl:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Just watched the highlights for this match AGAIN.

There's been a true revolution in our squad, because these days it seems that its more often than not the opposition who are 'blowing' after an hour.

Our lot don't seem to know the meaning of the word tiredness these days.

EDIT

Just found these extended highlights. Back to work slackers!!

mushy
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

Up the Junction wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:13 am Find some time to if you can... It's a fascinating read featuring some extensive research into the source of the club's colours.

This, I thought the Charlie Dove story was debunked some years ago due to the dates or something. It didn't seem possible that it could be true but cannot remember the exact details.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:56 pm
The opposition view: Aston Villa
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=136384
This is some of the most ill-informed, delusional rubbish I have ever read! :crylol:

Interestingly, it reminds me of the garbage I hear in the home end at the Walkers Bowl. Fans of clubs that have benefitted from conning referees for several seasons, now being undone by the introduction of VAR and an additional clamp down on their cheating ways. See how they are both plummeting now there is extra scrutiny cast over ‘soft’ tumbles and they’ve had to reduce their reliance on diving? Boo-hoo. :thdn:
mushy
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

LeonRivers wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:24 am Whatever happened to ironworx? Does he still post here?
I think he went off to find flight MH370 after claiming he knew exactly where it was.
SiO

Post by SiO »

David Moyes' vermillion army....
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 am

Just found these extended highlights. Back to work slackers!!
Thanks for this ....missed the game taking the old dear to see Les Mis and wasn't allowed to check my phone until it finished
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1163 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I must be getting old and soppy ( I am), but when I read OV it seemed at least 50% positive about our capabilities, allowing for opposition bias as the norm. I thought similar when I read Everton and Man City OV’s as well. The point being I suspect the recent media coverage of our good run is encouraging others to choose West Ham as their second team, or at least begrudgingly a very good team.

Everyone likes us, we don’t care.

I found ten positives on Spurs forum by the way.
👍
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

mushy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 amThis, I thought the Charlie Dove story was debunked some years ago due to the dates or something.
That's it mushy... the Dove race/bet is said to have taken place in 1898/99, when West Ham were still the Ironworks.

And the extensive research of the aforementioned KUMBers concluded West Ham didn't wear claret and blue shirts in their current format until 1903/04 (IIRC).
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Just watched the Behind the Scenes video, which is shot in ultra widescreen format for that extra cinematic effect, and Marvellous Nakamba still manages to roll all the way out of the frame in the footage of that melee. Image

That thing should have had its own heat map.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Aceface wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:13 pm Just watched the Behind the Scenes video, which is shot in ultra widescreen format for that extra cinematic effect, and Marvellous Nakamba still manages to roll all the way out of the frame in the footage of that melee. Image

That thing should have had its own heat map.
So far, in fact, there are no other players near him who took part in the original 'scuffle', except the one, who has gone to check up on him, and presumably perform an exorcism!
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:32 am McGinn definitely gets in our squad along with Ings and Buendia. Beyond that though, you're struggling.
Buendia?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Billydinho wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:23 pmBuendia?
Neither of them, for me!