EL: Genk 2-2 West Ham Utd (04/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ Genk vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

I know Soucek's o g was a complete fluke but Moyes was distinctly disappointed we didn't get all 3
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:16 pm Gutted for Benni as his 2nd goal was so worthy of being the winner. Rice looked shattered.
Me too Benni didn't deserve not to be a winner tonight, a great performance all game and 2 brilliant goals.
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

Draw seemed fair.

Thought we improved midway through the 1st half when we reverted from 343 to 4231. And then we built upon a much better start to the 2nd half with the early substitutions.

Noble was ok with the ball, but left us exposed in the middle. He really can't play in a midfield 2 any more. If we're going to play with wingbacks then we need Soucek and Rice. Or if Noble plays we need 3 in the middle so it's more 352.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

A little sad to watch Noble be so ineffective when the opposition have the ball, it's not long ago he could still lead the team in that position. We really need Kral to step up as an alternative to Rice and Soucek, and I think after centre forward that area has to be a priority in January.

Genk looked pretty handy at the start and we really didn't have the strength in the middle to take control. Our quality showed later in the game though.

Our other results keep that draw a decent result, ten points is an excellent position to be in. A bit concerned about how many of our squad players are struggling, Masuaku didn't do enough, Diop I felt could have stopped the first goal.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

It was an entertaining game and I think Genk gave a better showing of themselves than the previous game at the OS. We will have learned a lot from the game and the sorts of things we need to change for games in Europe.

I like the way that the 3 subs came on, as they did in the League Cup game. It is a bit like rugby, where big impact players are brought on 2/3 of the way into the game … they call them finishers (rather than replacements) which is what ours were. This works when there are more subs available and a cute tactic by the Moysiah.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Collison Theory wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:17 pm A little sad to watch Noble be so ineffective when the opposition have the ball, it's not long ago he could still lead the team in that position. We really need Kral to step up as an alternative to Rice and Soucek, and I think after centre forward that area has to be a priority in January.

Genk looked pretty handy at the start and we really didn't have the strength in the middle to take control. Our quality showed later in the game though.

Our other results keep that draw a decent result, ten points is an excellent position to be in. A bit concerned about how many of our squad players are struggling, Masuaku didn't do enough, Diop I felt could have stopped the first goal.
Was that Diop wading through porridge as the scorer wandered leisurely past him. There’s slow and then there’s the equivalent of a snail going up a wall backwards.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Zagreb is up 2-1 late. If it stays like this, am I right in saying we need 1 point to progress and 2 points to win the group?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

WCpete wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 pm Zagreb is up 2-1 late. If it stays like this, am I right in saying we need 1 point to progress and 2 points to win the group?
3-1 now.

We're definitely through to the last 32 play off stage, with a potential game against a 3rd place CL drop-out.

So long as we don't lose to Zagreb in the last game, there's no permutation where we don't finish 1st and go straight into the last 16. Likewise, if we beat Rapid Vienna.
Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Or if Genk get something from their next match at Zagreb.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Unbeaten in Europe thus far and Top 4 - this is bloody impressive .
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Thanks to covid I was sat on my arse in front of the TV instead of being out in Genk. First half I thought we were all over the place and Genk were good for their lead. Second half we were much better but unfortunately the goal gods were not on our side either through bad luck or a poor final ball. Benni was my MOTM. Shame about the OG, would have loved us to win. Trying to lose the claret and blue specs for a moment, I think a draw was most probably a fair result.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

Rich5ltr wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:10 pm Well said... :clap:
Ditto.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

We were a mess for the first 20 minutes, but we could easily have had 2 or 3 ourselves in that half. Vlad had 2 good efforts. Benrahma had one just barely stopped by their keeper. Antonio's shot thru the keeper was cleared off the line. Dawson's shoulder ball was tipped over. I reckon it probably should have been a 3-2 lead for them at the half.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 pm Unbeaten in Europe thus far and Top 4 - this is bloody impressive .
The new West Ham: won three drawn one and us fans worried about whether we will qualify automatically?

Enjoy the entertainment guys. We have more gears to use should and when we need them. Great substitution choices and timing mr Moyes.
👍
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1161 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Not read much in this thread about Arthur’s contribution tonight. I wasn’t that impressed, but I can be too picky. What do others think?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

We could easily have been 3 down at half time.
Similarly, we should have scored more than 2 in the second half.
A good game and a fair result but wow, that was an outstanding header from Tommy.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Kialos wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:07 pm Thanks to covid I was sat on my arse in front of the TV instead of being out in Genk. First half I thought we were all over the place and Genk were good for their lead. Second half we were much better but unfortunately the goal gods were not on our side either through bad luck or a poor final ball. Benni was my MOTM. Shame about the OG, would have loved us to win. Trying to lose the claret and blue specs for a moment, I think a draw was most probably a fair result.
Fair given that the first 20 mins was a horror show.

Get well soon.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:52 pm Not read much in this thread about Arthur’s contribution tonight. I wasn’t that impressed, but I can be too picky. What do others think?
Not good, but to be expected when he was literally the only player in the XI who has had barely any game time whatsoever this season.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

So, Areola.....

At first watch I felt he should have done better with the first. On re-watch - he was an inch or two away from it being a fantastic save. I think he was showing Paintsil the near post so had his weight on the wrong foot.
He then made two good saves from headers, and shut down the angle and stood up well when Paintsil had the counter which he squared to Ito (which may have been a factor in the Ito miss)
Not much chance with the Soucek own goal

Still not sure on him tbh, still not first choice to me, but also not one of the worst performers tonight.