EL: Genk 2-2 West Ham Utd (04/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Re: Genk vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

I actually think we shouldn't go too weak for this one. If we manage to win this, then the group is pretty much won. The other 2 games we have are in the middle of a run of 10 games in a calendar month. That includes Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and the Tottenham QF. Win on Thursday and we can probably rest and rotate in those other 2 games, where it will be very important to.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Our midfield pairing need to be fully rested for the mickey game, we are 3 in 3 in Europe, would not be unhappy to see Rice/Soucek rested for this game, our "B" team have been doing great, let them continue without the CM pairing, good challenge for them that will mean they need to step up even more. But then..

You keep winning it breeds even more confidence, so Rice coming in increases that chance..

Mr Moyes, do what you think best as you are doing pretty well to date :D
IronRhino
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by IronRhino »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:16 pm Our midfield pairing need to be fully rested for the mickey game, we are 3 in 3 in Europe, would not be unhappy to see Rice/Soucek rested for this game, our "B" team have been doing great, let them continue without the CM pairing, good challenge for them that will mean they need to step up even more. But then..

You keep winning it breeds even more confidence, so Rice coming in increases that chance..

Mr Moyes, do what you think best as you are doing pretty well to date :D
I would rest both Rice and Socek. I agree about the importance of momentum and the need to keep our winning run going, but I think our second team with a sprinkling of first team starters will be too good for Genk. It is great for the general feel good factor if the larger squad can contribute to the winning run
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

With Moyes and the coaching staff we have a squad, rather than a first team and reserves? If Rice and Soucek need rest, or anybody else, I trust They will pick and prepare the team properly for the Game, really can't ever remember any of our previous managers in the modern era being able to do this. Long may it continue 👍
helic0n
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by helic0n »

I suspect Rice will play and Soucek will be rested, given how we lined up vs Man City.
I'd rest Cresswell too and save Antonio for Liverpool.

Areola
Coufal Dawson Diop
Fredericks Noble Rice Masuaku
Lanzini
Yarmolenko Vlasic
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

helic0n wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:04 am I suspect Rice will play and Soucek will be rested, given how we lined up vs Man City.
I'd rest Cresswell too and save Antonio for Liverpool.

Areola
Coufal Dawson Diop
Fredericks Noble Rice Masuaku
Lanzini
Yarmolenko Vlasic
Would be the correct line up. Doubling up on there quick wingers Bongonda & Ito will be handy. And Rice will boss midfield which is always vital.
Yarmolenko can't play up top on his own, so support from Vlasic is necessary.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 206 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

It is so nice being in Europe having even more West Ham to watch. It gives me something to look forward to. And it really is weird where no fixtures are dreaded. Long may it continue. :scarfer:
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Areola,
Coufal, Diop, Dawson, Masuaku,
Noble, Kral
Bowen, Vlasic, Fornals,
Yarmolenko
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:11 am It is so nice being in Europe having even more West Ham to watch. It gives me something to look forward to. And it really is weird where no fixtures are dreaded. Long may it continue. :scarfer:
Yeah, but honestly the wife is getting pissed off that - in her words - "life seems to revolve around ****ing football at the moment".

She clearly doesn't realise that it always did.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

A 3-5-2 with any two of Coufal/Johnson/Fredricks used to counter there wingers, Ito in particular.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I believe that Rice is such an athlete at the moment that playing both games will not diminish him.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

My head keeps telling me to rest Rice, Moyes may think the same.
But Rice is the skipper, young, full of energy and he will not want to miss out on a game in the Europa League that could cement first place for us in the group.

It would be hard to make him sit this one out. Hopefully we can get a comfortable lead and then replace him with Kral or even young Chesters.
rudekid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by rudekid »

I echo the team selection above. I think it's crucial to rest players for Sunday. We lost to Brentford and Man U after midweek Europa fixtures. The only post Europa fixture we won was against the spuds (so doesn't count as they're ****) so we need Rice / Soucek and our front 4 at full strength.....
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

sendô wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:23 am Yeah, but honestly the wife is getting pissed off that - in her words - "life seems to revolve around ****ing football at the moment".

She clearly doesn't realise that it always did.
I've had similar conversations, on Sunday it was fine I watched West Ham then she watched Strictly (whilst I sat there reading my kindle and pretending I was vaguely interested in what was on the TV) - everyone's a winner.

Early kick off Thursday is good as she doesn't get home from slimming world until just after 7 :scarfer:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Early kick off Thursday is good as she doesn't get home from slimming world until just after 7 :scarfer:
I absolutely love this post :grin:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

ageing hammer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:15 pm I absolutely love this post :grin:
I wrote fat club first time but then bottled it :crylol:
WestSam
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by WestSam »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:44 pm
Keep sticking 16 sugars in her tea...
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1170 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: ⚽ Genk vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

Apologies if it is blinding obvious, but the game on Thursday kicks off at 17:45 due to clock changes.
alantaylorsleftfoot
Has liked: 177 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by alantaylorsleftfoot »

There will never be a better opportunity to give Longelo a game at left back. Areola, Coufal, Dawson and Diop will be the rest of the defence. Noble, Kral, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Vlasic and Masuaku to make up the rest of the team. It would still be a very experienced line-up.

Though, I expect it will be one on Masuaku, Johnson or Fredricks out of position at Left Back.
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1225 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’d go with…..

—————————-—-Areola———————————-

-Coufal———Dawson———Diop———Masuaku-

———————-Noble———-Kral—————————-

———————————Lanzini———————————

-Fredericks——-Yarmolenko—————-Vlasic-

Another big test for Areola. He played well against Man City, a team not known for being dangerous in the air. Let’s see what he does against this lot again against their 6ft7 giant. Give Coufal some much needed minutes to get his fitness back up. And I really want to see some more minutes from Kral. As he’s played nowhere near enough in the cup games.