Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Post Reply
DasNutNock2
Posts: 4512
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 am
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by DasNutNock2 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:53 am

For the first time I can remember, games against the table-toppers actually feel like 6 pointers, rather than a desperate attempt to protect a piss poor GD. Injuries and squad management will be crucial, and if we can keep our spine intact, it does feel like we’ve got an opportunity to really achieve something.

Online
User avatar
jastons
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 7:23 am
Location: Here
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by jastons » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:28 am

Worth noting that Chelsea finished 4th, only two points above us. A win against a 'top 6' side could be absolutely massive come the end of the season.

User avatar
The Old Man of Storr
Posts: 28601
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:17 am
Location: Lost In the Recesses Of My Mind .
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:38 am

szola wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 am
I'll stick my neck out....

The season is a marathon. We will need a few more players, to keep up this momentum, over the course of a season.

We are 6 points better than Leicester, who sit in 11th. They are struggling at the moment, and have games in Europe. That might be a big enough distraction/motivation for them.

Everton have a good squad, yet I can't see Benitez being able to turn their form around any time soon. We have an edge we should be able to protect.

Tottenham have made the managerial signing of the season, imo. Conte must win games, and he will force them to win. Unfortunately, they are my favourites for the 4th spot.

Brighton are living the dream. They will fade, sooner or later.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United need Europe, the Champions League. MU have the players to reach 4th. All they need now is the manager.
He'll be sacked before summer.

Arsenal are strange. They have a good manager, good players, yet are as naive as we used to be. Can't say how their season will pan out. Hopefully they are about to drop down the table again.

So...
CFC
Liverpool
Man City
Spurs
Man Utd

The safe bets.

Then us, Arsenal, Leicester to battle for 6th
:eh:

(I hope we'll go all in for a European trophy than a top six spot, to be honest)

I agree with all that apart from maybe Benitez being incapable of getting a tune out of Everton - they'll come good soon - maybe not Top6 good but better than they are just now .

We need to invest this January if we're serious about mounting a challenge -

User avatar
sendô
Posts: 38974
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.
Has liked: 770 likes
Total likes: 692 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by sendô » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:46 am

Billydinho wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 pm
I’d say don’t be misled by their purple patch where they’ve scrape a win at home to Norwich and survived a battering to nick a 1-0 at Burnley. They played well against Spurs and did enough against an out of sorts Leicester side whilst still relying on their keeper to make worldies.

Gabriel, Partey, Lokonga, Pepe all sh*t. Keep Smith-Rowe quiet and you keep Arsenal quiet.
Oh undoubtedly, they're not at the level of Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City, or Arsenal teams of the past. I'm merely making the point, when they lost their first three games people were gleefully predicting a relegation battle. Last season they put on a late spurt and weren't far off of us come the final table - in fact now I check it they were only 4 points behind us with a better GD. I'd say they've improved this year, and do not have European competition to worry about. They'll certainly be in the mix in the top half looking to get into the European places.

They're better than Spurs at any rate.

User avatar
szola
Posts: 14749
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:33 am
Location: Bumblebee is back
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by szola » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:32 pm

DasNutNock2 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:53 am
For the first time I can remember, games against the table-toppers actually feel like 6 pointers, rather than a desperate attempt to protect a piss poor GD.
Image

Paolopaul
Posts: 1031
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 pm
Total likes: 70 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by Paolopaul » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:58 pm

szola wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 am
I'll stick my neck out....

The season is a marathon. We will need a few more players, to keep up this momentum, over the course of a season.

We are 6 points better than Leicester, who sit in 11th. They are struggling at the moment, and have games in Europe. That might be a big enough distraction/motivation for them.

Everton have a good squad, yet I can't see Benitez being able to turn their form around any time soon. We have an edge we should be able to protect.

Tottenham have made the managerial signing of the season, imo. Conte must win games, and he will force them to win. Unfortunately, they are my favourites for the 4th spot.

Brighton are living the dream. They will fade, sooner or later.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United need Europe, the Champions League. MU have the players to reach 4th. All they need now is the manager.
He'll be sacked before summer.

Arsenal are strange. They have a good manager, good players, yet are as naive as we used to be. Can't say how their season will pan out. Hopefully they are about to drop down the table again.

So...
CFC
Liverpool
Man City
Spurs
Man Utd

The safe bets.

Then us, Arsenal, Leicester to battle for 6th
:eh:

(I hope we'll go all in for a European trophy than a top six spot, to be honest)
I’m interested as to why you think Arteta is a good manager? Arsenal have become a mid table team under his reign.

User avatar
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Posts: 7792
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:08 pm
Location: Back in Blighty!
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Top 6 would be another cracking season......let's not run before we can walk eh?

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

All have deeper squads and pockets than us so if we can nudge one of them out (Spurs obviously being the favourite) I'd be over the moon

User avatar
Paddy O'Hammer
Posts: 10659
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 22 likes
Contact:

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by Paddy O'Hammer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:46 pm

Then there's the unknown unknowns that are unknown at this time. That much is known. There could still be a surprise.

User avatar
carnage
Posts: 21159
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:22 pm
Location: KFC
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by carnage » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Top 6 would be another cracking season......let's not run before we can walk eh?

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

All have deeper squads and pockets than us so if we can nudge one of them out (Spurs obviously being the favourite) I'd be over the moon
No let’s run, we may end up in a ditch but who cares.

honkytonk
Posts: 1461
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:16 am
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by honkytonk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Even with Conte, I would be disappointed if we came below Spurs or Arsenal this season. Chelsea, Man C and Liverpool are a league above, the rest (including man U) we are capable of beating in the table. If we have a good Jan, even more so.

User avatar
bubbles1966
Posts: 57239
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: "said you was high classed, that was just a lie"
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm

honkytonk wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:50 pm
Even with Conte, I would be disappointed if we came below Spurs or Arsenal this season. Chelsea, Man C and Liverpool are a league above, the rest (including man U) we are capable of beating in the table. If we have a good Jan, even more so.
Conte's Chelsea are an illustration of the value of winning all your games against the lesser teams. They got beaten by Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool - and still won the league by 7 points.

Spurs finished 2nd - they picked up two points away from home against the 'big 6' that year.

User avatar
Mayday
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:30 pm
Location: Over the hills and far away....
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by Mayday » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Top 6 would be another cracking season......let's not run before we can walk eh?

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

All have deeper squads and pockets than us so if we can nudge one of them out (Spurs obviously being the favourite) I'd be over the moon
I don't think Arsenal have a deeper squad than us. I'm not sure about Man U either.
Spurs definitely don't.

User avatar
bubbles1966
Posts: 57239
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm
Location: "said you was high classed, that was just a lie"
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Spurs have two players who score goals - the rest offer virtually nothing in that regard, whilst their midfield and defence is really average. Conte inherited peak age Kante and Hazard at Chelsea.

Man City have failed to score against Southampton, Palace and Spurs - as well as us in the League Cup. There's clearly a way of playing against them.

Man United have a ludicrous choice in the dug out.

Arsenal are a bit like Spurs.

Liverpool and Chelsea appear a cut above.

Brighton look the best organised team elsewhere but lack a striker.

User avatar
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Posts: 34527
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Westham Way
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:47 pm

Mayday wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm
I don't think Arsenal have a deeper squad than us. I'm not sure about Man U either.
Spurs definitely don't.
No, I don't think so, either, not even with Conte at the helm and the reason why, is because, even 4 years since he last managed here, the league has changed, the dynamic has changed. There are now more teams challenging and it is now, far less clear cut. Anyone, all bar, the 3/4 rubbish teams, can now beat anyone else this was not the case when he last managed Chelsea. More teams now have better players, they are better coached and as result, matche's are now far more competitive. None of it is now the forgone conclusion it was when he last managed in the Premier League

User avatar
prophet:marginal
Posts: 38240
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Twisting, Shouting
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:35 pm

:crest:

User avatar
paulhs1
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:32 pm
Location: Just South of the Thames
Has liked: 537 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by paulhs1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:39 pm

It's on.

100% on.

User avatar
funky chicken
Posts: 5827
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by funky chicken » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Might want to change the title to ‘top 3’. :wink:

User avatar
prophet:marginal
Posts: 38240
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Twisting, Shouting
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:42 pm

funky chicken wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:40 pm
Might want to change the title to ‘top 3’. :wink:
For sure. It's a kind of 3-2-1 thread

User avatar
prophet:marginal
Posts: 38240
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Twisting, Shouting
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Thing is though, we win, beating another obvious 'top 4' team.

City's win only makes United's chances slimmer (and they were already drifting).

Arsenal scrape a narrow victory against a Championship club on holiday in the top flight.

Spurs and even Chelsea only draw.

One of those weekends that, like 7 days ago, puts real lead in our pencil, with rivals slipping and us scoring three goals.

Dreamland.

User avatar
paulhs1
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:32 pm
Location: Just South of the Thames
Has liked: 537 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by paulhs1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:53 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Thing is though, we win, beating another obvious 'top 4' team.

City's win only makes United's chances slimmer (and they were already drifting).

Arsenal scrape a narrow victory against a Championship club on holiday in the top flight.

Spurs and even Chelsea only draw.

One of those weekends that, like 7 days ago, puts real lead in our pencil, with rivals slipping and us scoring three goals.

Dreamland.
Today is a game changer. Everyone will now sit up and take notice of that second half performance.
Not only did we compete but we bullied Liverpool creating chance after chance.
Moyes changed it up at half time and for once out tacticed another top 4 manager.

Massive turning point today.

Were bang in amonst it and real contenders for a CL spot

Post Reply