Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by DasNutNock2 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:53 am

For the first time I can remember, games against the table-toppers actually feel like 6 pointers, rather than a desperate attempt to protect a piss poor GD. Injuries and squad management will be crucial, and if we can keep our spine intact, it does feel like we’ve got an opportunity to really achieve something.

jastons
Has liked: 216 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by jastons » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:28 am

Worth noting that Chelsea finished 4th, only two points above us. A win against a 'top 6' side could be absolutely massive come the end of the season.

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:38 am

szola wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 am
I'll stick my neck out....

The season is a marathon. We will need a few more players, to keep up this momentum, over the course of a season.

We are 6 points better than Leicester, who sit in 11th. They are struggling at the moment, and have games in Europe. That might be a big enough distraction/motivation for them.

Everton have a good squad, yet I can't see Benitez being able to turn their form around any time soon. We have an edge we should be able to protect.

Tottenham have made the managerial signing of the season, imo. Conte must win games, and he will force them to win. Unfortunately, they are my favourites for the 4th spot.

Brighton are living the dream. They will fade, sooner or later.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United need Europe, the Champions League. MU have the players to reach 4th. All they need now is the manager.
He'll be sacked before summer.

Arsenal are strange. They have a good manager, good players, yet are as naive as we used to be. Can't say how their season will pan out. Hopefully they are about to drop down the table again.

So...
CFC
Liverpool
Man City
Spurs
Man Utd

The safe bets.

Then us, Arsenal, Leicester to battle for 6th
:eh:

(I hope we'll go all in for a European trophy than a top six spot, to be honest)

I agree with all that apart from maybe Benitez being incapable of getting a tune out of Everton - they'll come good soon - maybe not Top6 good but better than they are just now .

We need to invest this January if we're serious about mounting a challenge -

sendô
Has liked: 770 likes
Total likes: 692 likes

Post by sendô » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:46 am

Billydinho wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:26 pm
I’d say don’t be misled by their purple patch where they’ve scrape a win at home to Norwich and survived a battering to nick a 1-0 at Burnley. They played well against Spurs and did enough against an out of sorts Leicester side whilst still relying on their keeper to make worldies.

Gabriel, Partey, Lokonga, Pepe all sh*t. Keep Smith-Rowe quiet and you keep Arsenal quiet.
Oh undoubtedly, they're not at the level of Chelsea, Liverpool or Man City, or Arsenal teams of the past. I'm merely making the point, when they lost their first three games people were gleefully predicting a relegation battle. Last season they put on a late spurt and weren't far off of us come the final table - in fact now I check it they were only 4 points behind us with a better GD. I'd say they've improved this year, and do not have European competition to worry about. They'll certainly be in the mix in the top half looking to get into the European places.

They're better than Spurs at any rate.

szola
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by szola » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:32 pm

DasNutNock2 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:53 am
For the first time I can remember, games against the table-toppers actually feel like 6 pointers, rather than a desperate attempt to protect a piss poor GD.

Paolopaul
Total likes: 70 likes

Post by Paolopaul » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:58 pm

szola wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:47 am
I'll stick my neck out....

The season is a marathon. We will need a few more players, to keep up this momentum, over the course of a season.

We are 6 points better than Leicester, who sit in 11th. They are struggling at the moment, and have games in Europe. That might be a big enough distraction/motivation for them.

Everton have a good squad, yet I can't see Benitez being able to turn their form around any time soon. We have an edge we should be able to protect.

Tottenham have made the managerial signing of the season, imo. Conte must win games, and he will force them to win. Unfortunately, they are my favourites for the 4th spot.

Brighton are living the dream. They will fade, sooner or later.

Both Arsenal and Manchester United need Europe, the Champions League. MU have the players to reach 4th. All they need now is the manager.
He'll be sacked before summer.

Arsenal are strange. They have a good manager, good players, yet are as naive as we used to be. Can't say how their season will pan out. Hopefully they are about to drop down the table again.

So...
CFC
Liverpool
Man City
Spurs
Man Utd

The safe bets.

Then us, Arsenal, Leicester to battle for 6th
:eh:

(I hope we'll go all in for a European trophy than a top six spot, to be honest)
I’m interested as to why you think Arteta is a good manager? Arsenal have become a mid table team under his reign.

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Top 6 would be another cracking season......let's not run before we can walk eh?

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

All have deeper squads and pockets than us so if we can nudge one of them out (Spurs obviously being the favourite) I'd be over the moon

Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:46 pm

Then there's the unknown unknowns that are unknown at this time. That much is known. There could still be a surprise.

carnage
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by carnage » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm
Top 6 would be another cracking season......let's not run before we can walk eh?

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

All have deeper squads and pockets than us so if we can nudge one of them out (Spurs obviously being the favourite) I'd be over the moon
No let’s run, we may end up in a ditch but who cares.

honkytonk
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by honkytonk » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Even with Conte, I would be disappointed if we came below Spurs or Arsenal this season. Chelsea, Man C and Liverpool are a league above, the rest (including man U) we are capable of beating in the table. If we have a good Jan, even more so.

bubbles1966
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm

honkytonk wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:50 pm
Even with Conte, I would be disappointed if we came below Spurs or Arsenal this season. Chelsea, Man C and Liverpool are a league above, the rest (including man U) we are capable of beating in the table. If we have a good Jan, even more so.
Conte's Chelsea are an illustration of the value of winning all your games against the lesser teams. They got beaten by Man U, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool - and still won the league by 7 points.

Spurs finished 2nd - they picked up two points away from home against the 'big 6' that year.

Mayday
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Mayday » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:08 pm

Citeh
Liverpool
Chelsea
Spurs
Manchester United
Arsenal

I don't think Arsenal have a deeper squad than us. I'm not sure about Man U either.
Spurs definitely don't.

bubbles1966
Has liked: 360 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Spurs have two players who score goals - the rest offer virtually nothing in that regard, whilst their midfield and defence is really average. Conte inherited peak age Kante and Hazard at Chelsea.

Man City have failed to score against Southampton, Palace and Spurs - as well as us in the League Cup. There's clearly a way of playing against them.

Man United have a ludicrous choice in the dug out.

Arsenal are a bit like Spurs.

Liverpool and Chelsea appear a cut above.

Brighton look the best organised team elsewhere but lack a striker.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:47 pm

Mayday wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm
I don't think Arsenal have a deeper squad than us. I'm not sure about Man U either.
Spurs definitely don't.
No, I don't think so, either, not even with Conte at the helm and the reason why, is because, even 4 years since he last managed here, the league has changed, the dynamic has changed. There are now more teams challenging and it is now, far less clear cut. Anyone, all bar, the 3/4 rubbish teams, can now beat anyone else this was not the case when he last managed Chelsea. More teams now have better players, they are better coached and as result, matche's are now far more competitive. None of it is now the forgone conclusion it was when he last managed in the Premier League

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 596 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:35 pm

:crest:

paulhs1
Has liked: 537 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:39 pm

It's on.

100% on.

funky chicken
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by funky chicken » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Might want to change the title to ‘top 3’. :wink:

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:42 pm

funky chicken wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:40 pm
Might want to change the title to ‘top 3’. :wink:
For sure. It's a kind of 3-2-1 thread

Post by prophet:marginal » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm

Thing is though, we win, beating another obvious 'top 4' team.

City's win only makes United's chances slimmer (and they were already drifting).

Arsenal scrape a narrow victory against a Championship club on holiday in the top flight.

Spurs and even Chelsea only draw.

One of those weekends that, like 7 days ago, puts real lead in our pencil, with rivals slipping and us scoring three goals.

Dreamland.

paulhs1
Has liked: 537 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:53 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm
Thing is though, we win, beating another obvious 'top 4' team.

City's win only makes United's chances slimmer (and they were already drifting).

Arsenal scrape a narrow victory against a Championship club on holiday in the top flight.

Spurs and even Chelsea only draw.

One of those weekends that, like 7 days ago, puts real lead in our pencil, with rivals slipping and us scoring three goals.

Dreamland.
Today is a game changer. Everyone will now sit up and take notice of that second half performance.
Not only did we compete but we bullied Liverpool creating chance after chance.
Moyes changed it up at half time and for once out tacticed another top 4 manager.

Massive turning point today.

Were bang in amonst it and real contenders for a CL spot