Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by simon1982 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:07 am

simonirons wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:16 am
I really hope we can add 2 or 3 quality players in Jan with PL experience that can hit the ground running. - Do that and we're in with a chance of top 4.
I can’t see Man Utd letting us have lingard and that goes for the other top clubs in the prem as we are a serious threat for a top 4 spot. They’re not going to make us stronger.

DenziMart
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by DenziMart » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 am

steveyrockstar wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:34 pm
Need to add a quality forward/striker(s) in Jan, then it's on :thup:

Otherwise worried lack of strength in depth will cost us as fatigue and injury creep in. Don't blow this West Ham! We are ****ing massive.
Desperately need some back up for Cress as well. He's playing every minute and appears super-human at the moment, but he will surely need a rest at some point. That said, with international breaks every 5 minutes maybe he'll be ok!

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:14 am

Our next two are Wolves away, then Brighton at home. Not the easiest two we could have, but just imagine if we win both of those......we will win both of these

wivenhoetim

Post by wivenhoetim » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:14 am

Lots of talk about squad depth, but dont really see it myself. The bench yesterday was the best we have ever had, and no youngsters either. We are where we are ..currently fighting on three fronts precisiely because of our squad depth.. You might argue we need to add a bit more quality in key areas a striker, (or Lingard) a DM (Kral is waiting in the wings) and genuine cover for Cresswell - but thats it.For me its the best squad weve had in years.. Opinions eh.

Liam
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Liam » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:15 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:14 am
Our next two are Wolves away, then Brighton at home. Not the easiest two we could have, but just imagine if we win both of those......we will win both of these
Puff, are you writing off the Man City game then?

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 am

Liam wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:15 am
Puff, are you writing off the Man City game then?
Thought that was sfter Brighton. Ooh f***.it Palace beat 'em and we've already beaten 'em once so why not twice? Make that 9 points from.the next three then

Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:39 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 am
Thought that was sfter Brighton. Ooh ****.it Palace beat 'em and we've already beaten 'em once so why not twice? Make that 9 points from.the next three then
Too right!!

could you imagine being in the top 3, through to the last 16 of EL and the semis of the LC all on xmas day! dreamland.

Ariksan
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Ariksan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:04 pm

December schedule is insane. 9 games including Chelsea. Might drops point there.
Luckily also some small teams like Arsenal & Spurs.

paulhs1
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:30 pm

Ariksan wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:04 pm
December schedule is insane. 9 games including Chelsea. Might drops point there.
Luckily also some small teams like Arsenal & Spurs.
We have the last game of the Europa against the Croatians in December so need to have won the group by then. If so we can throw out Baptiste, Longelo, Chester's and a few other under 23's and give Noble, Kral and Areola a run out.

So its 8 games but still a really tricky schedule.

steveyrockstar
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by steveyrockstar » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:37 pm

wivenhoetim wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:14 am
Lots of talk about squad depth, but dont really see it myself. The bench yesterday was the best we have ever had, and no youngsters either. We are where we are ..currently fighting on three fronts precisiely because of our squad depth.. You might argue we need to add a bit more quality in key areas a striker, (or Lingard) a DM (Kral is waiting in the wings) and genuine cover for Cresswell - but thats it.For me its the best squad weve had in years.. Opinions eh.
I think your opinion is pretty much the same as most and spot on. It's the best squad in my lifetime as a fan, but we're still thin in key areas that fatigue and injuries will expose - which you yourself has just highlighted. We didn't have any forwards on the bench yesterday, and I don't think Yarmo is athletic enough for the Prem or can play the striker role effectively enough.

If we can add a quality striker/forward and/or Lingard in Jan, it could be an incredible squad.

Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:56 pm

If we can add a striker and a back up to Cresswell then there's no reason why we cant make 4th.

Tbh we could probably do it without those extra players but that would rely heavily on injuries.

BondsoBob
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by BondsoBob » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm

:heart:
Cockneyboy311 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:56 pm
If we can add a striker and a back up to Cresswell then there's no reason why we cant make 4th.

Tbh we could probably do it without those extra players but that would rely heavily on injuries.
We could always do with one or two more options. But as I recall Leicester didn't have a particularly big squad when they won the title in 2016.

Shabu
Has liked: 193 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by Shabu » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:12 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:02 am
Can we please stop all this negativity and talk of 7-8th?

Were a top 4-6 team now!

:scarfer:
We're a top three team NOW

But it ain't the end of the season yet

I'm full of optimism that we'll stay up and hoping we finish top half

IronRhino
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by IronRhino » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:14 pm

The current top 6 has a very familiar feel to it. Very accommodating of the spuds to make way for us.

As for top 4, of those that are outside of it at the moment Liverpool remain the main contenders. I don't think Arsenal have got enough about them to sustain their current push and Man U will not improve until they get a new manager, hopefully OGS will remain in place until at least Christmas, by which time they could be a long way adrift.

As for us, yes we have a strong squad but could still be undone by long term injuries to key player, Antonio, Rice, Fornals and Cresswell are pretty irreplaceable at the moment

bubbles1966
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:59 pm

Quite funny reading other clubs' forums and seeing bits of speculation that we could actually win the league. It's mostly disbelieving but there's usually the odd - "but Leicester did it" thrown in. :rofl:

One thing I hadn't noticed before is that in amongst the run of 13 games in 44 days , we hardly leave the M25 between the end of November and end of January - just one solitary Sunday in Burnley. Bit of bad weather up North that weekend and we could end up with a mini break for the starters between Chelsea and Arsenal (4th Dec and 15th Dec) if we can make Zagreb (H) a dead rubber.

Tezza65
Has liked: 41 likes

Post by Tezza65 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:25 pm

BondsoBob wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:46 pm
:heart:

We could always do with one or two more options. But as I recall Leicester didn't have a particularly big squad when they won the title in 2016.
Difference is,we are involved in other competitions, while they just had the PL to concentrate on,as they went out early in both Cup competitions.

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Clucking Bell » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:56 pm

I think we'll do quite well against our (new) peers this season: we've seen off the dippers and I wouldn't bet against us taking points off Chelsea or City. I think the bigger problem is that the likes of Wolves, Palace, Burnley and Southampton are going to think that getting a point off us is a right result and they'll try to do to us what we did to Liverpool and sit deep and try to hit us on the counter or score from a set piece and then shut up shop.

I suspect there will be a few teams that we took six points off last year that we might struggle to do the same again this term.

funky chicken
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 108 likes

Post by funky chicken » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am

My take on the sides competing for 4th spot:

Spurs: Conte will make them more organised defensively. But that squad is still bang average outside of Son and Kane. If they both get injured it’ll take more than Conte to save them. Even their one good defender has been ruled out to the new year. Lots of the poor to mid table teams will lay down and get their belly’s tickled against them just because psychologically they’ll see Conte is their manager so that must mean they are good. The penny will drop eventually.

Man Utd: Similar story to Spurs really. Take Ronaldo and Fernandes out of the equation and they are not that special. They’re full of too many inconsistent players. And whoever the manager will be next season needs to shift a lot of rotten apples. Too many egos in the squad that play more for themselves than the club. Pogba, I am looking at you especially. If their current manager can get a tune out of those players so they deliver more consistent performances I still think though they’ll be the biggest threat.

Arsenal: They have become a bit like us from last season. They’ll pick up results against the teams they should do. But will be beaten whenever they play any of the top 6-7. But especially the top 3.

Wolves: Not consistent enough. Already picked up 2 bad results in their last 2 games. But they’ll be in the race for a Europa League/conference place.

As long as we don’t collapse dramatically we are still very much in the race. But the caveat is we must bring in at least a striker/attacking midfielder and a left footed defender. Failure to do so and we’ll fall away, IMO.

The game at the Emirates soon will be huge. Shame they’re not only one of our bogey teams, but they are another team Moyes couldn’t beat on their own turf for toffee.

paulhs1
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 am

We looked completely knackered at the 60 minute mark the other night and I fear we are fast running out of steam at precisely the wrong time.

December will make or break us I think.

Then we desperately need the cavalry in January

hammerman11
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by hammerman11 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:42 am

Big transfer window for us . LB CB CF needed

Motes must start using kral diop lanzini vlasic more. I hope they are good enough