Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

paulhs1
Has liked: 173 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Re: Who Will Beat Us To Top 4?

Post by paulhs1 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 pm

funky chicken wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:22 pm
6 points behind 2nd place Chelsea now.
3 points behind if we win at the weekend and they lose at City.

They're also off in Early Feb and miss two league games .

So imperative that we rack up the points now before we get to the tougher games in March and April.

Shabu
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by Shabu » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 am

I said earlier in this thread we'd finish 8th.

I'm now revising that to 8th with a chance of 7th.

Garry
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Garry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:27 am

No way we are going to end up above chelsea they are on another level look at these subs bench last night they would get in most teams eleven

ironilunga
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:51 am

In the next round of matches we are home to Leeds and Man Utd are away to Villa. If we win and Man Utd lose and then we beat Man Utd away I think we go 13 points ahead of them.

I think we will beat Leeds and Man Utd and be right in the mix for top 4. I will be delighted with top 6 again though 👍

lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:55 am

4th place would be an incredible position to be in, come the end of the season.
To be 4th after 21 games is decent and I see no reason why we shouldn't be in and around that area in 5 games time.
I think things will change if we go deep into the FA cup and Europa cup.
If we can get Zouma back and playing regular we can rotate our defence better.
A couple of quality additions in January and I see no reason why we cant keep this kind of form up till the end of the season.
Whether that will be enough to win us a cup or get to 4th place i dont know.
What i do know is that West Ham are now a club that do look capable of going towards this mythical next level that has always been out of reach.
We may not have Champions league quality in all areas of the pitch. But what we lack in quality we make up for in character and endeavour.
These lads are giving are giving us a hell of a ride this season.
I expect it to keep going for a few more weeks yet.

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 am

Only Spurs or Arsenal can beat us to top 4 now IMO.

I can't think of two worse teams to pip us to that spot, in fact I wish it would be Man Utd but it wont, it'll be one of the North London slags.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:07 am

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:55 am
What i do know is that West Ham are now a club that do look capable of going towards this mythical next level that has always been out of reach.
TBH I think we are already at the next level and have been for some time. UCL qualification or a cup would be truly miraculous to me, I mean stunning. It would be beyond next level. I preference a cup and Mark Noble lifting it 👍
Last edited by ironilunga on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

funky chicken
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by funky chicken » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:10 am

All we can do is keep trying to get through our games and pick up as many points as we can. Yes the likes of Spurs have 2-3 games in hand. But the bottom line is they have to play them, and in a short period of time. And the most important thing is the pressure is on them, not us. We’ve done our job, we’ve got the points. The rest have to chase us. They could well do it. But I’d much rather have the points, sitting back and smoking a cigar than going into a big run of games needing the points.

The more points we pick up the more it’ll effect those teams psychologically. How do you think the Spuds, the Gooners and Man Utd fans felt - let alone their players - seeing plucky old West Ham pick up another 3 points, strengthening their goal difference in the process? The higher the mountain they have to climb the better.

Rays Rock
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Rays Rock » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:23 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 am

I can't think of two worse teams to pip us to that spot, in fact I wish it would be Man Utd but it wont, it'll be one of the North London slags.
I tell you something about those 2. There will be a bigger fuss made about creeping into 4th spot by one of those than us.
Remember when Arsenal overtook us in December ? Todays big news appears to be a predictable 1-0 win in a 2nd leg semifinal in Football elites lowest competition (possibly bigger than Uefa conference, well except when spurs are playing).

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:32 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 am

Spurs and Man Utd are two sides of the same coin - squads of disjointed individuals that are desperately trying to find a manager to mould them into a cohesive unit. I think Conte will fall out with Levy and leave (probably for Man Utd). Ralph meanwhile is temping and the players know it.

The biggest threat is Arsenal.

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by vietnammer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am

Best if Spurs/Arse draw on Sunday?

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:34 am

Tottenham have Arsenal [ H ] , Leicester [ A ]and Chelsea [ A ] up next -

Arsenal have Liverpool in the EFL Cup followed by Tottenham [ A ] , Liverpool [ EFL ] , Burnley [ H ] and Wolves away up next .

We have Leeds Utd [ H ] , Manchester United [ A ] and Watford [ H ] next - I see us gaining 6 maybe 7 from that lot .

Can't see Tottenham gaining many points - 2 at most but they do have those 3 games in hand over us .

Arsenal have to play Liverpool twice - I expect they'll get at least a point at Tottenham , 3 from Burnley and another point from Wolves .

I see us keeping our noses in front for the time being i.e. the next 3 games .

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 am

Shabu wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 am
I said earlier in this thread we'd finish 8th.

I'm now revising that to 8th with a chance of 7th.
If we do, we can only have ourselves to blame. Currently, we sit 9 points clear of Wolves in 8th and 10 ahead of Brighton in 9th and we have a massive 10 advantage over both of those two teams. When you take a look at our remaining home fixtures they are not the most difficult and we will have to fall off dramatically if we are to fall away .Our remaininging home fixtures are:-

Leeds
Wolves
Newcastle
Aston Villa
Everton
Burnley
Arsenal
Man City

and even the aways are not that difficult

Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by Georgee Paris » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:19 am

I think from now on it’ll probably be good for everyone’s sanity to just expect the results we least would like and also hope we continue to play well.

szola
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by szola » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am

Still believe we'll need to be Leicester-type lucky with injuries to be able to grab fourth.

Competing on multiple fronts doesn't help, and having our best players playing International games isn't a bonus either.

paulhs1
Has liked: 173 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by paulhs1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 am

We need to go unbeaten in the league between now and the end of February. We need to go on a winning run where we keep racking up points.

Do that and we will find ourselves on about 48-50 points with 11 games left. It will be ours to lose at that point.

2 clean sheets in a row is extremely encouraging.

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 am

The 6 points this week was always going to be telling for me, 3 in the bag, 3 to go. If we get the 6 points then we are bang in the top 4 race, dare I say become favourites for 4th, particularly as I still think we are slightly off our game, and have been for more than a few games, sign of a good team.

I can't see Tottenham doing it today, apparently they were bang average again last night, admittedly they were up against a good Chelsea side but work colleague (Tottenham fan) reckons there are all sorts of issues in their changing room. He does reckon they will be buying big in Jan (where do they get the money from???) if they do, they may pip us if the new signings bed in quick.

I'm not sure on Arsenal, yes they have improved hugely but lots of young players, will they handle the pressure of the run in??? Not so sure, and I still think they have a mental weakness in the team, all be it it is improving.

On paper Man U should do it, but f*** knows what's going on there?!?! Long may that continue.

ironilunga

Post by ironilunga » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 am

szola wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 am
Still believe we'll need to be Leicester-type lucky with injuries to be able to grab fourth.
It is to our credit that we remain in contention despite our first choice back line having been decimated over the last 6 weeks.

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:00 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 am
The 6 points this week was always going to be telling for me, 3 in the bag, 3 to go. If we get the 6 points then we are bang in the top 4 race, dare I say become favourites for 4th, particularly as I still think we are slightly off our game, and have been for more than a few games, sign of a good team.

I can't see Tottenham doing it today, apparently they were bang average again last night, admittedly they were up against a good Chelsea side but work colleague (Tottenham fan) reckons there are all sorts of issues in their changing room. He does reckon they will be buying big in Jan (where do they get the money from???) if they do, they may pip us if the new signings bed in quick.

I'm not sure on Arsenal, yes they have improved hugely but lots of young players, will they handle the pressure of the run in??? Not so sure, and I still think they have a mental weakness in the team, all be it it is improving.

On paper Man U should do it, but **** knows what's going on there?!?! Long may that continue.
Not overly concerned about Man U or Tottenham, especially if we can come away with a point from each of those away games.

Arsenal are the one that concern me. I was at their game against City on New Year's Day and although they self destructed in the 2nd half it felt like there is some momentum building around that place. Hopefully the FA Cup result and a couple of spankings against Liverpool in quick succession can prick that particular balloon.

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:12 am

If we beat Leeds on Sunday then we'd be on 40pts and have 16 games left to play.
If we can win half of those games (bering in mind we are currently on a 52% win rate atm) then that would likely secure top 6.

I hope we continue being massive :hamm: