Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by S-H »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:18 pm Just do it dude! :newthumb:
It's for work, I don't really need it.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1566 likes

Post by alf git »

S-H wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 am Test Drove a new Ford Ranger Raptor yesterday.

A sensible choice for this day and age I feel..

:D
I passed a mod shop recently, between Epping and Harlow i think. They do what they do and re-badge them as DERANGED. Tickled me that :crylol:
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

S-H wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:36 pm It's for work, I don't really need it.
Tax deductable?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

THIS! THIS! THIS!

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

What a waste :cried:
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

Hi all. I have been thinking of getting an electric car but all above what I can afford per month . My company are thinking of doing a salary sacrafice car scheme which means I would then be able to afford one .

Anyone doing this or got any pointers there seems to be a few grey areas for me to look at ?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:43 pm Hi all. I have been thinking of getting an electric car but all above what I can afford per month . My company are thinking of doing a salary sacrafice car scheme which means I would then be able to afford one .

Anyone doing this or got any pointers there seems to be a few grey areas for me to look at ?
It is a great way to get one, I wish my company did one but as a transport provider we can't be seen to encourage people to drive

You save on the tax side which is helpful

What models you looking at?

Any questions about EVs etc feel free to ask I'm almost 2 years into EV driving and will definitely be looking to get another at the end of the lease, bit of a bigger one so that when my eldest is out of car seats we can all go out in it and save the big car just for long runs as it's wasteful to just get rid of it for another car when it does very low milage and doesn't cost the earth to maintain
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I just took a Hyundai Ionic 5 for a test drive. It was mind blowingly good, in every respect. I always thought that a Hyundai was what your auntie would drive but this was......mind blowing. I'm not a great fan of how it looks, too much frippery and ornamentation, but the technology more than makes up for it. Nine month waiting list, but they've got a demonstrator that becomes available in April. I might go for it unless something better presents itself in the next few days.
East Sussex Hammer

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:45 pm It is a great way to get one, I wish my company did one but as a transport provider we can't be seen to encourage people to drive

You save on the tax side which is helpful

What models you looking at?

Any questions about EVs etc feel free to ask I'm almost 2 years into EV driving and will definitely be looking to get another at the end of the lease, bit of a bigger one so that when my eldest is out of car seats we can all go out in it and save the big car just for long runs as it's wasteful to just get rid of it for another car when it does very low milage and doesn't cost the earth to maintain
Thanks mumbles most helpful. Ideally a Skoda Enyaq but depends on the coatings just need an SUV with largish boot for the dog. All my kids are grown up so don't need to worry about that.

The but that is confusing me is that at the moment I am in the 40% bracket but as soon as you take the car off basic it take a me to the lower rate tax but then I get bonuses that would take me back above so not sure how the taxman views it.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:12 pm I just took a Hyundai Ionic 5 for a test drive. It was mind blowingly good, in every respect. I always thought that a Hyundai was what your auntie would drive but this was......mind blowing. I'm not a great fan of how it looks, too much frippery and ornamentation, but the technology more than makes up for it. Nine month waiting list, but they've got a demonstrator that becomes available in April. I might go for it unless something better presents itself in the next few days.
Really good car. EVs are smooth and comfortable if you want a leisurely drive however the instant power delivery means they are very fast when needed.

I mean they aren't Tesla quick but they provide enough power to overtake down the lanes without feeling much effort at all.

Twinned with the Kia so check that out aswell
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:25 pm Thanks mumbles most helpful. Ideally a Skoda Enyaq but depends on the coatings just need an SUV with largish boot for the dog. All my kids are grown up so don't need to worry about that.

The but that is confusing me is that at the moment I am in the 40% bracket but as soon as you take the car off basic it take a me to the lower rate tax but then I get bonuses that would take me back above so not sure how the taxman views it.
Not 100% sure how that works with the decuations and the 40% .. might be one for an accountant that one

Check out the MG EZ that's big boot , so is the MG 5 but not suv estate

But yes Skoda is a cracking car, two guys at work have the VW I'D 4 which is it's brother and boy they are lovely cars and good boots on them

We have a few EVs about now so seen more in the flesh

Mg EZ, much nicer than I thought
Tesla model 3 . Much less ugly than I thought up close
Tesla model s , very much older but lovely. Massive boot lol massive car in general
Id4 beautiful car , big boot .

One thing I will say is avoid anything made by the PSA group. So vauxhall and peugot , their dealers arent trained enough for ev yet and don't have a clue. I'm not a mechanic so when I have known more about my car than the person working on it, that's really concerned me because I shouldn't be telling them how to fix it they should know.
East Sussex Hammer

Thanks Mumbles
One of my directors has a 3 nice looking goes like stink but poorly made only 9 Months old and on its second battery pack.

I do like the Kia but will have to do more home work and see how the numbers stack up
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:49 pm Thanks Mumbles
One of my directors has a 3 nice looking goes like stink but poorly made only 9 Months old and on its second battery pack.

I do like the Kia but will have to do more home work and see how the numbers stack up
That's what matters, have to add up

I really wanted the hyandi Kona 62kw , was on a hot deal for £310 a month. When I went to order it has all sold out so went for the Corsa on a hot deal at 273 a month

Could have got a leaf but 40kw battery didn't want to chance it

So this is 50

It's convinced me that it's the way to go, wife loves it aswell . Just need to wait for the lease to end and find something I really like
East Sussex Hammer

Nice one but really need something bigger than a Corsa unfortunately.

Hopefully you will get something more you your liking and budget then
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

East Sussex Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:59 pm Nice one but really need something bigger than a Corsa unfortunately.

Hopefully you will get something more you your liking and budget then
Oh DW I wasn't saying get one of them lol beautiful drive, grips like a go kart and quick as a flash but it's still a Corsa lol small, cheap inside

The mg EZ and mg 4 are on my radar

But the new nissan suv that's coming out that's gonna be good nissan know their stuff
Kev59
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

I just got a Range Rover Evoque, 2019 facelift model. Best car I've ever had. Good size boot area, seats quickly fold if you need extra space.
Monkeybubbles

Post by Monkeybubbles »

A few calls to leasing companies today confirmed that the Enyaq and Mach-E are the only long range EVs that are available for delivery within weeks rather than months. So that narrows the choice a bit.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:23 pm A few calls to leasing companies today confirmed that the Enyaq and Mach-E are the only long range EVs that are available for delivery within weeks rather than months. So that narrows the choice a bit.
Very surprised to read that about the Enyaq. I ordered an Enyaq iv80 last October, pretty highly specd. Today I was informed that it's just cleared German customs and is now awaiting a ship to the UK. I should finally get my hands on it in a couple of weeks - 3 at most. Waiting times as far as I know are still around the 12month mark for new orders. I'll let you know what it's like!
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Watching this intently, current lease up next November would love to go electric but they're too expensive for me ... quite like the Niro as I've a Kia XCeed currently but do like the look of the Hyundai's too
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Rowly wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:41 pm Very surprised to read that about the Enyaq. I ordered an Enyaq iv80 last October, pretty highly specd. Today I was informed that it's just cleared German customs and is now awaiting a ship to the UK. I should finally get my hands on it in a couple of weeks - 3 at most. Waiting times as far as I know are still around the 12month mark for new orders. I'll let you know what it's like!
Lease companies buy in bulk, and they too have been waiting for them to come in. They put their order in, and a few weeks before they're due to get them, they push the deals. They also over-order so that they can say they have them in stock when they do arrive.

Plus of course, manufacturers prioritise fleet orders over private ones anyway.