Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am I did this and hated the auto. Would never go back. Felt like I was really inactive driving it which meant my mind just wandered, I legitimately felt dangerous driving for the six months I had an auto.

<snip>
I feel like this with cruise control, my wife loves using it on long journeys I never use it; the only time being when I test drive a car to check that everything works.

My wife drives an auto Discovery Sport and loves it, there is no way she is going back to a manual. I now drive an auto Jaguar S-Type as my daily drive and I must admit that it is easier for pottering around and cruising, but I far prefer a manual for being in control as I sometimes think the autos are in the "wrong" gear and (like you) if I'm not careful my mind could drift. My MG TF is manual but that is a totally different drive.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:44 amI now drive an auto Jaguar S-Type
Always fancied one of these... love a Jag. Been eying the E/F-Pace too, though not quite the same thing.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I too love the look of Jags but they are notoriously unreliable and have been for years. Wouldn't touch one personally.
-DL- wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:22 am The frustrating thing with the likes of the above, is you could get a new map on the ECU that's identical to a Euro 6 car, and turn it in to an ULEZ "compliment " vehicle.

I say "compliant " in quotes , because if you were to emmisons text a Euro 6 vehicle a few years old, then it wouldn't pass it - not in the MOT sence, but in a Euro 6 sence - it wouldn't meet it.

A lot didn't from new.

Quite shocking really.
Don't get me started on that ULEZ b*llocks. My two bikes are 1600cc and 1450cc and apparently they're non-ULEZ compliant which is absoloute b*llocks given their emissions compared to a car. They've just looked at the engine size and said they're non-compliant BUT if I wanted to spend £250 to get them tested at an approved garage then I can get an exemption. f*** YOU Khan, everyone knows this is just a money-making scam where you're trying to drum up cash for the total mismanagement of TFL.
Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 am Alf, you will never go back to manual after you get used to an automatic for your day to day car, it makes driving so much easier, particularly when in traffic, enjoy the new smell and easy drive :newthumb:

Crikey guv, you and the missus are looking at different ends of the market?!?! Who will win that one? :D
Same, I'll never go back to a manual now in cars, it's just a pain when stuck in traffic. Much prefer an auto in all scenarios and mine has cruise control to when I'm on the motorway I stick that on too. Yep, it's pure laziness but I don't care. I do all the manual stuff on a bike anyway so I'm ****ed if I'm going to do that in a car too.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:24 pm I too love the look of Jags but they are notoriously unreliable and have been for years.
As are Land/Range Rovers of course.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

-DL- wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:15 pm As are Land/Range Rovers of course.
Yep, they're just as bad. A mate has a Land Rover Discovery and it's just a money pit. One thing after the other going wrong with it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

There's a saying in Australia that goes "If you want to go into the bush take a Land Rover. If you want to come out again take a Toyota."
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Some cars are just better as an auto. To me a no brainer for bigger cars. Love my F-Pace and previous XF auto's but would use the paddles for a more spirited drive (it can be done in a 3.0 diesel 😉)

But my RS Focus would not have been the same as an auto.

Agree with GCRO about bikes - my 1000cc Aprilia doesn't comply with ULEZ so will have to go. I'll end up buying something less exciting that does comply - it at all.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm There's a saying in Australia that goes "If you want to go into the bush take a Land Rover. If you want to come out again take a Toyota."
:grin: Seems I'm coming out of the bush .
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 142 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

3times wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:59 pm
Agree with GCRO about bikes - my 1000cc Aprilia doesn't comply with ULEZ so will have to go. I'll end up buying something less exciting that does comply - it at all.
Don't be too hasty with getting rid of it. You might be able to get a certificate of conformity from Aprilia UK if it's not a really old model.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

3times wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:59 pm Agree with GCRO about bikes - my 1000cc Aprilia doesn't comply with ULEZ so will have to go. I'll end up buying something less exciting that does comply - it at all.
It's a nonsene and just goes to show how clueless they are. Bikes don't have half the emissions a car does yet the engine size is what it goes on. I think this stems from the road taxing logic that's applied to bikes. For cars it's based on emissions yet for bikes it's engine displacement as they know if it were emissions we'd be paying a lot less.
3times

Post by 3times »

Ralph Mellish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:49 pm Don't be too hasty with getting rid of it. You might be able to get a certificate of conformity from Aprilia UK if it's not a really old model.
Unfortunately its a 2003 model so little chance of a COC.
3times

Post by 3times »

Shows how odd it is - my mums 2001 focus is compliant.....🤷‍♂️
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 142 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

3times wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:36 pm Unfortunately its a 2003 model so little chance of a COC.
Someone got a 2002 Mille through with a CoC

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/list-pre ... xemptions/
3times

Post by 3times »

Ralph Mellish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:27 pm Someone got a 2002 Mille through with a CoC

Thanks for that. Will investigate further.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 am Of all the drives, the Skoda Enyaq was lush but a bit bit too big for just me, so went for the KIA Niro Hybrid - have a KIA currently and can't fault them for the money...was vey tempted by the Skoda Kamiq but they don't have a hybrid engine as yet. Going to miss a gearbox, and should be interesting getting used to an automatic for the first time ever but I think only mild hybrids/petrol cars offer the option of manual now.

Yaris Cross was meh too cramped inside
Peugeot 208 was nice but quite expensive
Seat Ibiza was also close but Skoda Fabia felt nicer and the Kamiq even nicer
I've had my Skoda Enyaq iv80 since 12th Dec. Covered 3000 miles of local driving so far so have always charged at home on 10p /Kwh cheap overnight tarrif. Car has averaged 3miles per Kwh since I've had it giving a a range of around 260miles to full charge and 0.03333p per mile to run! Fantastic car to drive.
Got a return trip up to Cambridge from East Sussex to do next Tuesday so will have to do a charge stop on the way back somwhere - be interesting to see how that goes.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Ralph Mellish wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:27 pm Someone got a 2002 Mille through with a CoC

Interesting, my bike isn't on there but a bike with exactly the same engine is. I have a Harley Davidson Road Glide and the Road King Classic FLHRCI (1450cc/88ci) uses the same engine. My 2001 Road King also has the same engine but it's bored out to be a 1600cc (still says 1450cc on the log book).
Still wouldn't get me to ride into London though. I used to commute regularly for years on a bike and the last time I actually rode in London was in 2019. Can't see myself ever doing that again.
East Sussex Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by East Sussex Hammer »

Rowly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:08 pm I've had my Skoda Enyaq iv80 since 12th Dec. Covered 3000 miles of local driving so far so have always charged at home on 10p /Kwh cheap overnight tarrif. Car has averaged 3miles per Kwh since I've had it giving a a range of around 260miles to full charge and 0.03333p per mile to run! Fantastic car to drive.
Got a return trip up to Cambridge from East Sussex to do next Tuesday so will have to do a charge stop on the way back somwhere - be interesting to see how that goes.
I was going to get an Enyaq through work on the Salary sacrifice scheme but could not get one until next year so gone for a Volvo XC 40 all electric instead.

Having driven one I would say that the quality and drive is better than my Skoda Karoq.

Be interesting to know where you fill up when you go to Cambridge as I do occasionally do that driver from East Sussex as well.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Yes
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Rowly wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:08 pm I've had my Skoda Enyaq iv80 since 12th Dec. Covered 3000 miles of local driving so far so have always charged at home on 10p /Kwh cheap overnight tarrif. Car has averaged 3miles per Kwh since I've had it giving a a range of around 260miles to full charge and 0.03333p per mile to run! Fantastic car to drive.
I been doing some looking for next time round

I either want a niro EV and a leaf

Found some bigger battery leafs 23-25k 2 years old 10,000 miles on them

Very reasonable
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

there are some fantastic deals on 3 year tesla lease , 1 month down and 35 x £ 585 , which i know isnt cheap , but they want £ 460 pm for a new MG 4 and over 300 miles of range
https://www.leaseloco.com/car-leasing/t ... 0ba/config