Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 2449 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by dasnutnock3 »

My next door neighbour took delivery of a honking great BMW electric 4x4 yesterday. Very smart it is, too, but when I asked him how he’s going to charge it (nobody has a parking space on my road, or any way of connecting to mains without running a cable across a public pavement) the colour drained from his face and he stood there with his mouth hanging open for a while before mumbling something about there being a charge point at his golf club, then legging it inside his house. Get the impression he hadn’t thought things through particularly well…
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 am Get the impression he hadn’t thought things through particularly well…
:D
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 am Get the impression he hadn’t thought things through particularly well…
:lol:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Need to invent some kind of portable induction coil that you can wrap around a lighting column to charge your car. :chin:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:39 am I can't afford one, and can't afford any more garage charges either. My car is currently broken - suspected alternator. I'm going to have to get the tools out, remove it, and then risk a second hand one on Ebay (allegedly tested). Can pick one up for 20 quid so its a risk I'm happy taking. Not sure what could possibly go wrong, I've watched a Youtube video and everything.
OK so that was a failure. Garage it is.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm OK so that was a failure. Garage it is.
Similar failure the last time I tried to repair my motor, failed intercooler breather pipe. So bought a nice aftermarket one, had watched tons of videos on how to do it, laid all my tools out, on the whole was a successful operation - in terms of removal and replacement - until I tried to drive the damned thing. :swear:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

PlaistowIron wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:55 am Thanks.

I could push to £20k if needed, although fancy a nice holiday this year :D I suppose I could top it up with a finance option too… but really don’t know a lot about these… all seems a bit of a minefield to me!

I may just run it out for another 12 months and see how the land lies.
If you could push to 20k, go and seek out a BMW 2 Series Active Grand Tourer.

They're lovely cars, and if prices start to settle, you shouldn't be hit too hard with the depreciation with it being a BMW.

2018, below average mileage, ticks all the boxes.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true
PlaistowIron
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by PlaistowIron »

:thup:
-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:08 am If you could push to 20k, go and seek out a BMW 2 Series Active Grand Tourer.

They're lovely cars, and if prices start to settle, you shouldn't be hit too hard with the depreciation with it being a BMW.

2018, below average mileage, ticks all the boxes.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true
Funny enough, I was looking at these last night DL. I was also thinking the BMW would hold value better. I may give it 3-6 months, so how the land lies, if it’s still the same I may just go for it.

Thanks for the advice all :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

PlaistowIron wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:17 am :thup:

Funny enough, I was looking at these last night DL. I was also thinking the BMW would hold value better. I may give it 3-6 months, so how the land lies, if it’s still the same I may just go for it.

Thanks for the advice all :thup:
Without a shadow of a doubt, the land will lay the same - and potentially worse in Greater London, when ULEZ compliant vehicles will be in higher demand due to the extension of it to the Greater London Boundary next year.

In other words, if it says 'London Borough of' then it will be in the extended ULEZ.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

People in the know may I request a little help please.

My youngest, 23, looking at lease, he does about 18/20k miles a year. I'm thinking Hybrid, maybe electric is the way forward? No travelling in London, up and down A12/A120 mainly.

He is not a petrol head, but he doesn't want something his nan would drive, any suggestions please :newthumb:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

EVs and hybrids are proper lumpy on the monthly lease plans. I have been tempted with a hybrid but you are looking at 100-300 extra a month based on your marques. The cheapest leases on EV are the likes of MG at 250 a month with a lump but down as a deposit.

Mate of mine has a Golf GTE. It suits him as his commute is Blackmore to Rawreth which is just over 30 miles round strip - a single charge. Although he has solar on his office roof so its cheapo electric. He obviously has the petrol engine but the tank is so small you don't get too much range on petrol only.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yeah, quick google last night and it does appear you are paying extra for the privilege of going greener, but was only quick look.

Looked at the MG funny enough, looks a nice motor on my screen but yes, big lump required up front, I hear the bank of dad might be involved with this.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

There's a reason why the MG's are 250 a month on lease. Chinese built, poorly put together rubbish, (not just my opinion, but generally accepted by motoring journos and road testers too) with the insult of a great marque badge on the front.

Looked at one last year, and aside from there being an infotainment system and legally required anti-collision tech, it drove and felt like an early 2000s motor.

Some people will like them, if they're on a budget or simply don't care, (think Dacia but with lower build quality) and residuals are poor on them too.

TBH, you're better off buying something half decent on low rate HP if you can get it, especially on that sort of mileage - and avoid EV like the plague if he does that sort of mileage too. Stick to internal combustion, or hybrid at a push if there's any value in them.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I do, but what I really want, is a Lambo
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

DL :newthumb:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:39 am There's a reason why the MG's are 250 a month on lease. Chinese built, poorly put together rubbish, (not just my opinion, but generally accepted by motoring journos and road testers too) with the insult of a great marque badge on the front.

Looked at one last year, and aside from there being an infotainment system and legally required anti-collision tech, it drove and felt like an early 2000s motor.

Some people will like them, if they're on a budget or simply don't care, (think Dacia but with lower build quality) and residuals are poor on them too.

TBH, you're better off buying something half decent on low rate HP if you can get it, especially on that sort of mileage - and avoid EV like the plague if he does that sort of mileage too. Stick to internal combustion, or hybrid at a push if there's any value in them.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/mg5/62 ... 021-review

The newer MG EVs are highly rated, still not amazingly made but are a vast improvement

This estate and the suv version are cracking value and are making waves
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

I've just changed my car again 🙈

Well it has been almost 5 months since I last did it...
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

My current Company Car lease (Lexus IS300h) goes back to the lease company next week only snag is it's replacement - a Skoda Enyaq EV thad I orderd last October still hasn't been allocated a build week at the factory due to the ongoing Semi conductor chip shortage and also the fact that production has been halted due to the fact that most if not all of the VAG, BMW & Mercedes wiring looms come from the Ukraine.

Rather than be tied into an extention fixed term lease on the Lexus I've deceded to sign up with ONTO a car subscription company for the interim until the Skoda comes through. You pay a fixed price on monthly basis wich includes Insurance, servicing, tyres free public charging with BP Pulse, Shell & Ionity and an allowance of 750 miles a month (was 1000 miles but they've just reduced it). I've decided to go with a Renault Zoe GT Line @ £449 a month, which gets delivered to me on 30th March. I may decide to swap it in and try a few of the others they have as you can change it whenever you fancy. I have a referal code of 82d4f if anyone decides to give them a go too... it gives both me and you a £50 discount off. :D
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

^^^^ how do you go about charging at home? There's not a universal standard, so each time you change your car do you have to change your charging set up?

Also read that MG article, fast charging @ 100kW.. that's some serious ampage, never going to get that on our domestic setups unless there's some serious investment in the infrastructure.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:53 am ^^^^ how do you go about charging at home? There's not a universal standard, so each time you change your car do you have to change your charging set up?

Also read that MG article, fast charging @ 100kW.. that's some serious ampage, never going to get that on our domestic setups unless there's some serious investment in the infrastructure.
This is a massive myth that needs to be put to bed from the car companies

There is a home standard. Type 2 charger

All cars sold in Europe must have type 2. All the cars being sold brand new now have them

There are lots of different DC chargers which are your fast chargers .. your 100kw, 50kw etc

Those are chademo and ccs

Now day's most are type two with CCS attached. Mine is type two and I can open a extra port and the CCS goes over the type two. Same connection just with two massive holes at bottom for DC power

At home you get 4 types of charger output

Granny (3 pin plug) usually 10amp. That goes to your type 2
Then it's all type two , 3.5kw if you can't support the 7kw which is standard. And 22kw if you have 3 phase supply (rare) you can apply for. However as it's all type 2 most cars can't take the 22kw feed and will only draw what they can

My car has 2 onboard chargers

7kw limit for AC
100kw for DC

My charger at home I had tethered cable added for convenience. You can have untethered. Which is a type 2 socket

Then whatever cable you have you plug in and into your car so if they did change the chargers (which they won't now) you just update your cable not your charger