Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:46 am Are we expecting used car prices to start returning to normal in the next few months?
Chatting to one of my chaps in the trade - people that have bought cars at the inflated prices may soon be hit by negative equity - and the semi-conductor shortage won't be making a blindest bit of difference to sales or prices - because he reckons people are going to start keeping what they have because being blunt - they ain't going to have the money, and screen prices on forecourts are going to tumble so dealers can shift stock, and the expected happens where people are not going to be buying.

He reckons that the value of smaller, cheaper cars may well stay stable, because people are going to be looking to downgrade from their SUVs and posh saloons - and it's the prices of these that are likely to take the hit in the coming months where there becomes a glut of them in the market - especially around September time when people that wanted the latest reg on lease and PCP 3 - 4 years ago, start getting rid of their motors when their contracts expire and going to more economical types.

He reckons the fuel cost crisis and people having much less money in general is going to put a few independent dealers out of business - the little blokes who already still haven't recovered from no trading during Covid.

I think even the big ones may have to re-evaluate too, as I think Cazoo are bang in trouble already. They've already slashed jobs, closed vehicle preparation centres, and have had to drop their margins and restructure.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Starts looking on Autotrader for Cayenne Turbos :eyes:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

It is good to know that the value of my 13 year old A Class will remain at or around the £800 level while all those bastards with nice cars take a bath.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Resurrecting this one.

So, my wife was in a non-fault accident on friday, her car is almost certainly a write off but waiting to hear from the insurer's assessor.

We had a Ford Focus (2015), lovely motor, fitted the kids car seats in fine enough etc. Bought in 2018 for 8.5k, autotrader et al show the market rate as around 9.5k now which is mental.

We've only really got a couple of grand to add to whatever we get as a payout, so was looking on autotrader with a 13k limit to see what was about.

We've pretty much set on an SUV type thing, courtesy car is a Quashqui but I really don't fancy buying one.

After having half an eye on a Volvo V40 (similar to the focus by the looks of it), we've agreed our first choice is a Hyundai Tucson we've seen within our budget. 18 plate, 26k mileage for around £12.5k. I'm hoping all being well to get this down a bit but seems a decent price already.

Anyone have any experience with a Tucson or know of anything to be extra vigilant with when looking?

Cheers in advance.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

They're pretty much the same as a Kia Sportage. They essentially share the same platform, engines and running gear. Hyundai own a big stake in Kia and they share powertrains, platforms, development costs etc.

They're ok motors if driving for you is a means of getting from A to B - but they're not particularly engaging to drive and the engines in them are meant to be a bit 'meh'.

They're a higher insurance group than your Fords, Renaults, Nissans, etc due to them not being a great seller over here and parts being more expensive due to not having the economy of scale like other producers.

Residual values also plummet on them.

12.5k is very cheap for an 18 plate relatively low mileage SUV - and there's a reason for that. It's a Hyundai. For whatever reasons you don't fancy a Qashqai, once you've drive a Tucson, you'll want a Qashqai. They really are incredibly bland and boring.

They're not a bad motor, but they're not particularly good either. They're kinda beige, ordinary.
chelmsfordhammer91

Cheers DL. Sounds perfect for us haha, literally just need something that does the journey in moderate comfort.

The Quahqui had a nice feeling ride height (definitely wasn't used to being higher up) but just felt a bit 'tacky' inside, which I reckon by the sounds of it the Hyundai will be like.

The Focus had that more weighty feel with everything inside if that makes sense, but I guess a lot of it is what you are used to.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

The Nissan will be streets ahead of the Hyundai on cabin quality. Try looking at a Renault Kadjar. They're similar to a Qashqai (same platform, engines etc), but interiors are not as plasticky. You should be able to get one from a main agent around your 13k budget with manufacturers warranty.

I have one, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well built and solid it felt compared to the Qashqai. Look for Dynamique/Signature models as they're the ones with all the kit, sat-nav etc - but avoid the ones with 19" rims and low profiles, because the tyres cost a fortune to replace, and it gives a harsh ride. As I've found out :oops: :eyes:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I love it that people know things about cars on here, as they're really expensive and my knowledge on the subject could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:04 am I love it that people know things about cars on here, ...my knowledge on the subject could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
I could say the same about the energy markets :newthumb:
chelmsfordhammer91

The qashqui (I've actually spelt it right this time?) is growing on me.

The trim level isn't what we could afford anyway but it's actually a comfortable and surprisingly quiet motor.

Likely to have it for a while longer as it's been a week since the accident and the insurer can't even say when the assessor can go look at it due to backlogs.

I'm not sure if I should admit this but I drove past a Dacia Duster today and actually liked the look of it. Wouldn't get one though, they aren't even that much cheaper than a more premium make.

DL - I suggested the Kia Sportage to the other half, she said she learnt to drive in a Picanto and vowed never to own a Kia. Tried explaining that was 14 years ago etc., wasted my time lol.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

My wife has a new Qashqui, she loves it.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

S-H wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:19 pm My wife has a new Qashqui, she loves it.
She loves it. She really loves it.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:42 am She loves it. She really loves it.
Not as much as she loves you, daddy.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:15 pm The qashqui (I've actually spelt it right this time?) is growing on me.

The trim level isn't what we could afford anyway but it's actually a comfortable and surprisingly quiet motor.

Likely to have it for a while longer as it's been a week since the accident and the insurer can't even say when the assessor can go look at it due to backlogs.

I'm not sure if I should admit this but I drove past a Dacia Duster today and actually liked the look of it. Wouldn't get one though, they aren't even that much cheaper than a more premium make.

DL - I suggested the Kia Sportage to the other half, she said she learnt to drive in a Picanto and vowed never to own a Kia. Tried explaining that was 14 years ago etc., wasted my time lol.
Kias are on the Hyundai scale (not surprisingly) - not bad cars, but not good either - and in my humble opinion, are pretty overpriced too.

Dusters are the basic of the basic, even the so called top of the range ones. They're ****ing terrible. Mrs DL wanted me to see if we could get her in to a Renault Captur, so went to a Renault dealers (which usually double up as Dacia dealers as Dacia is outright owned by Renault and is basically their budget brand), and we couldn't find one that I felt wasn't a bit overpriced - so the salesman suggested we take a Duster out instead, as they share the same platform. It was horrific. It was like being transported back to the 80s. A 900cc 3 cylinder thrum of tedium, boredom, harsh ride, cheap plastics and the feeling like you're sitting in a bean can. Suffice to say, we didn't get one or the Captur, so she had to make do with a Peugeot 208 instead, which has the build quality of a Bentley in comparison to a Dacia - and I'm not saying that for effect either. They're monumentally ****.

I'll say it again, if you want a well made Medium/large SUV with decent interior, strong engines and pretty good VFM, go and test drive a Kadjar. Mine's on a 67 plate, I've just hit 66,000 miles in it, and it has no squeaks, no rattles, and still feels as tight as the brand new one we had as a courtesy car which lead us to by this one. It's the 1.5 oil burner, and can easily spit out over 60mpg on a run - in contrast to even the most economical of the petrol versions where you'll be lucky to hit 45mpg on a run, and around town will make your eyes water - expect 35mpg in real world driving. Just don't go for the Dynamique S or Signature S models with their 19" low profiles (They're a different model to the Dynamique and Signature - they're more 'sporty, hence the 'S') - and avoid the poverty spec 'Play' editions too. If you can push to it, get the 1.6 dci 130 oil burner - similar MPG to the 1.5 - but has 16 valves, and more power. It's a smashing lump. I got my 1.5 remapped to 140 bhp from 110 bhp and it makes a hell of a difference.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Did I mention just how **** Dacias are?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Picked this up April 1st this year, 59k, 1 owner, full main agent service history, and cost 11.5k, with a 1 year Renault Approved Used warranty with RAC cover and Renault assist. It's immaculate.

Previous owner clearly looked after it, as they didn't mind spending 225 a pop on original fitment Bridgestone tyres.

chelmsfordhammer91

I've never really like Renault but the Kadjar is a decent looking motor on top of the solid kit for the price.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details ... obcid=soc3

Would end up with something like this spec, which seems to fit the bill.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Same kit and spec as mine, but without the firmer suspension, and over sized wheels, and the crazy expensive tyres 🤣

See how it compares to a main dealer, because I can't stress just how good the Renault Approved Used Car Warranty is. It's the same as you get on a new Renault.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

bought a mg zs in jan 21 for 13k, sold it to cazoo in november for £16.5 k , and leased an electric one for 3 years at £288pm . hopefully car prices will have stabilsed by nov 25 .
chelmsfordhammer91

The second hand market is just mad at the moment.

My wife doesn't want the Kadjar (someone annoying at work has one, f*ck me!).

Looking at two cars tomorrow, a Kuga which is at the top of our budget but has a decent trim level etc., and a Tucson she had her eye one for a few days.

The more I drive the qashqui, the more it grows on me though. I reckon she will decide on the Kuga as she has only ever owned Ford. Could be worse though.