Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RaddyKovac
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by RaddyKovac »

I'm 28, and when I was in school, our teachers scoffed at electric cars. Stated that they would never be the future as they wouldn't have the required range, the weight of the batteries meant that they were inefficient, and the resources required (lithium ion etc) were more scarce than fossil fuels.

Hydrogen fuel cells were lauded as being the future.

I'm not abreast of the technology but I wonder what's changed?

It's clear that regardless of how much people laud their electric cards, they are far less convenient than the current status quo.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

RaddyKovac wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:57 pm I'm 28, and when I was in school, our teachers scoffed at electric cars. Stated that they would never be the future as they wouldn't have the required range, the weight of the batteries meant that they were inefficient, and the resources required (lithium ion etc) were more scarce than fossil fuels.

Hydrogen fuel cells were lauded as being the future.

I'm not abreast of the technology but I wonder what's changed?

It's clear that regardless of how much people laud their electric cards, they are far less convenient than the current status quo.
Nobody has cracked the ability to store hydrogen safety and easily

Think there are what 4 filling stations in the UK? Happy to be corrected

Plus the energy needed to produce it

There is place in this world for both

Ev works for 90% of the country is it? Can't remember the figures but average 30 miles a day drive fits most people

If you can do work and back twice in your range and have a drive way then ev is most likely a good option for you

I can do 3 trips to work (150 miles) and still have some left .. plug in at night full in morning (quicker than that but that's litterally what I do)

So very convenient

However for some people it's no good. Don't have driveways or decent chargers near them or simply drive too far at a time that it doesn't suit atm
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1872 likes
Total likes: 2491 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

I still think it’s time for the world to change to 2 wheels for local journeys. Segregated cycle lanes, electric bikes, showers at workplaces etc are all far more eco-friendly, as well as being better for general health and fitness, than 2-tonne battery cars. Anyway, the gov will just introduce new taxes for electric cars, so they’ll become at least as expensive to run in 2030 as ICE cars are now.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:15 pm I still think it’s time for the world to change to 2 wheels for local journeys. Segregated cycle lanes, electric bikes, showers at workplaces etc are all far more eco-friendly, as well as being better for general health and fitness, than 2-tonne battery cars. Anyway, the gov will just introduce new taxes for electric cars, so they’ll become at least as expensive to run in 2030 as ICE cars are now.
You recently mentioned that you were looking for a change of career, how about purchasing a rickshaw type of contraption and transporting us lard arses around?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

:chin:

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

:crylol: :crylol: very good, Dan and his pink bike... :crylol:

(Trike)
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

You f*ck one sheep…
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:10 pm Ev works for 90% of the country is it? Can't remember the figures but average 30 miles a day drive fits most people
The massive problem with EV is that it works for 90% of your travel, for local commuting & shopping etc, but it's a lottery if you want to go any distance - then you're at the whims of whether the electric infrastructure is working on your route/at your destination, and 30+ minute recharges.

I'd switch in the minute if that problem was solved

Ultimately, Dan's right about the local journeys - we need to get the vast majority of people out of cars and onto bikes/other HPVs for short journeys
Last edited by Kludgehammer on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Agreed daniel. I live in a large village/small town with a population of 5,500. No one place is further than a mile from another however the Infant's school further up my road and junior school just around the corner are utter pandemonium in the morning and afternoon as the school mums fight for car parking spaces or parking on double yellows.

They should walk.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1498 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

We just bought a new car today. We'll Mrs Eggs did.
New Renault Captur Hybrid on PCP for 4 years, £262 a month. Gave us £9000 for her 68 plate Clio with 30,000 miles on it.

dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

RichieRiv wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:40 pm Agreed daniel. I live in a large village/small town with a population of 5,500. No one place is further than a mile from another however the Infant's school further up my road and junior school just around the corner are utter pandemonium in the morning and afternoon as the school mums fight for car parking spaces or parking on double yellows.

They should walk.
Driving kids to school should be outlawed. Walk or cycle, and if it’s too far, run a school bus.
jastons
Has liked: 900 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

How do hybrids work? Are they the best of both petrol and electric?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

A typical petrol/electric hybrid such as a Prius works by recycling braking and coasting energy. When the brakes are applied, instead of just heating up the discs the energy drives an electrical generator, which slows the car and charges the battery pack. This electrical energy is used whenever possible, especially during the most fuel inefficient bits of driving, such as pulling away from rest or accelerating. Round town or on short journeys this makes a big difference to fuel consumption. On a motorway the battery will be used up very quickly (I think the Prius range on battery is less than a couple of miles) and you're effectively driving a 1.8 litre petrol car.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I've got a classic car that I love pootling around in when it's working, but generally it's more of a pain in the arse than it's worth. Tbh, since the pandemic settled in it's been sitting lonely in my garage, so that's about two years gathering moss, and it didn't s even remotely look like starting the last time I tried. It's going to need a bit of work to get it back on road.

I'm considering going the extra mile (excuse pun) and ripping out the engine etc and putting in an electric conversion. Got a mate who is a retired mechanic / garage owner who is up for a challenge, and the electrical side of it is within my own capability.

What could possibly go wrong?
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 pm What could possibly go wrong?
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

:lol: :clap:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 pm I've got a classic car that I love pootling around in when it's working, but generally it's more of a pain in the arse than it's worth. Tbh, since the pandemic settled in it's been sitting lonely in my garage, so that's about two years gathering moss, and it didn't s even remotely look like starting the last time I tried. It's going to need a bit of work to get it back on road.

I'm considering going the extra mile (excuse pun) and ripping out the engine etc and putting in an electric conversion. Got a mate who is a retired mechanic / garage owner who is up for a challenge, and the electrical side of it is within my own capability.

What could possibly go wrong?
If it's your gorgeous Volvo, please don't ruin it by making it electric. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Leave it be dude, if you can't be arsed or don't have the inclination or time to sort it, then please sell it on to somebody that will.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

-DL- wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:47 am If it's your gorgeous Volvo, please don't ruin it by making it electric. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Leave it be dude, if you can't be arsed or don't have the inclination or time to sort it, then please sell it on to somebody that will.
Yeah good point. I was going to make sure that everything was reversible, and keep the original engine crated up so it could be dropped back in at some point if necessary.

But my mate pointed out that I wouldn't put new high tech parts on a lovely vintage guitar, so why do it to the car?

I think I'll throw a few quid at having it put back into commission, take it for a few spins during summer and then sell it on to someone a bit more committed than me.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9646 likes

Post by S-H »

There's always banger racing?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

RaddyKovac wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:57 pm I'm 28, and when I was in school, our teachers scoffed at electric cars. Stated that they would never be the future as ...
And that's why they are high school teachers.