Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by -DL- »

-DL- wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 pm
I'm going to look at a 2019 2.0d Jaguar XE tomorrow 🙈
Gorgeous car, but when a dealer goes around my car and offers me a grand less than he offered when I sent him photos and a video, (where I even pointed out the imperfections) they can shove it up their arse...
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

So thanks to Mr S Kahn (Brother of M ??) for the first time in my life I'm buying a car for someone else. I've got to replace the parents non ULEZ compliant 2012 Qashqai dCi that they've owned it since new and done 47,000. WBAC, Carwow and Nissan offering around the same - £3,700 - I might be able to squeeze a private sale up to 4,500 - that's hoping though so I'll probably go for the path of least resistance and PX. I don't fancy trying to organise viewings remotely.

Anyone used the likes of Carwow/Cinch for delivery and PX at the same time?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

The frustrating thing with the likes of the above, is you could get a new map on the ECU that's identical to a Euro 6 car, and turn it in to an ULEZ "compliment " vehicle.

I say "compliant " in quotes , because if you were to emmisons text a Euro 6 vehicle a few years old, then it wouldn't pass it - not in the MOT sence, but in a Euro 6 sence - it wouldn't meet it.

A lot didn't from new.

Quite shocking really.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

A friend of ours recently used Cinch, and were raving about it.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am A friend of ours recently used Cinch, and were raving about it.
When you say "friend" do you really mean someone on a TV advert?
S-H

Post by S-H »

alf git wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:32 pm When you say "friend" do you really mean someone on a TV advert?
What's the difference?
alf git

Post by alf git »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:08 pm What's the difference?
When you come home early from work you don't find the wife in bed with the television.
S-H

Post by S-H »

alf git wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:56 pm When you come home early from work you don't find the wife in bed with the television.
We have a very attractive television, I'll have you know.
alf git

Post by alf git »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:11 pm We have a very attractive television, I'll have you know.

:grin:

I've got one being delivered Friday and it's sexy as f**k to be fair
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 253 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Got a weekend off looking at a new car.

Got mine via personal lease and it runs out in November so planning ahead... Skoda Kamiq, Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza and possibly Toyota Yaris Cross. Got test drives booked for the first 3 but may end up sticking with Kia (got a Xceed currently) any others I should be looking at?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:37 pm Got a weekend off looking at a new car.
How did you get on?

In the market mesself again... Mrs UtJ Likes the Evoque or Discovery though I also like the look of the new Kia Sportage.

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:16 am How did you get on?

In the market mesself again... Mrs UtJ Likes the Evoque or Discovery though I also like the look of the new Kia Sportage.
Of all the drives, the Skoda Enyaq was lush but a bit bit too big for just me, so went for the KIA Niro Hybrid - have a KIA currently and can't fault them for the money...was vey tempted by the Skoda Kamiq but they don't have a hybrid engine as yet. Going to miss a gearbox, and should be interesting getting used to an automatic for the first time ever but I think only mild hybrids/petrol cars offer the option of manual now.

Yaris Cross was meh too cramped inside
Peugeot 208 was nice but quite expensive
Seat Ibiza was also close but Skoda Fabia felt nicer and the Kamiq even nicer
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Alf, you will never go back to manual after you get used to an automatic for your day to day car, it makes driving so much easier, particularly when in traffic, enjoy the new smell and easy drive :newthumb:

Crikey guv, you and the missus are looking at different ends of the market?!?! Who will win that one? :D

Just worried what I'll do with my other foot Clackers lol

Look at the Kia EV9 as well UTJ if the Sportage is an option....for me the specs of the KIAs are hard to beat, but understand they don't have the badge allure
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 am Alf, you will never go back to manual after you get used to an automatic for your day to day car, it makes driving so much easier, particularly when in traffic
I must be one of the very few people that gave an auto a more than a fair chance, and dumped it off to go back to a manual 🤣
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:42 am Just worried what I'll do with my other foot Clackers lol

Look at the Kia EV9 as well UTJ if the Sportage is an option....for me the specs of the KIAs are hard to beat, but understand they don't have the badge allure
It's not just the badge allure that they don't have. Engines are not particularly efficient compared to other makes, and the depreciation is eye wayering on most models.

Personally, I'd never really rule one out, but it would have to be a too good to refuse deal to tempt me.

Depends on how you finance it too - if you're going PCP route, then getting a better badge could actually work out a bit cheaper by a few quid or so, because with PCP, you're basicslly financing the depreciation with a bit of interest on top.

Properly shop around, you may be surprised as to what you can get for your monthly payment.

There's a reason why every man and his dog can now get in to a more 'prestige' make - and that's because the payments on a PCP or lease are comparable to a not-so-popular brand.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

What didn't you like DL?

I was against auto's until I got one, I drove an auto (borrowed) 10 or so years back and it was truly awful, technology has certainly moved on now when I took a test drive, was totally sold, and will never go back now for day to day driving. I have paddles as well, so that was my way out if I felt the auto was not going to perform in certain situations, I used the paddles for the 1st week, they just collect dust now as the gearbox is so good.

In the group many of the company cars have been up for renewal, still seeing huge price increases and stupid long lead times, so some of us have taken an extra year out to see what happens in the market.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:10 am What didn't you like DL?
The lack of control, not being able to "drive" it. Granted, it was great in town traffic, bit I still didn't like it for the most part.

I had an auto courtesy car a few months ago, and was hoping that pperhaps a modern auto may sway me, but nope - still wasn't particularly enthused by it - not to mention the rubbish MPG it returned.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The MPG was an issue at the start, but it improved hugely when I got use to the motor, same as the "driving it".

Different strokes for different folks innit.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

-DL- wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:47 am I must be one of the very few people that gave an auto a more than a fair chance, and dumped it off to go back to a manual 🤣
I did this and hated the auto. Would never go back. Felt like I was really inactive driving it which meant my mind just wandered, I legitimately felt dangerous driving for the six months I had an auto.

I've only ever owned Skodas, and Fabias at that, aside from the brief spell of an auto which was more of an emergency purchase than anything. They're simple but, touch wood, decent and reliable - basically Volkswagen aside from the badge and design. I'd be tempted to go for a different style of Skoda next time out (which is about 3.5 years away given it's on finance) but I can't really see myself considering another make at this point in time. I don't even really drive all that much, just school runs and once or twice to work a week, I'm hardly racking up miles.

I'd like to go electric, or at least hybrid, next time I do buy, but tend to buy used from the dealer - so I'm not sure what the market is there. One thing I will say is that the Cupra cars I've seen and been in are really nice.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 amCrikey guv, you and the missus are looking at different ends of the market?!?! Who will win that one? :D
Ha... My Sportage would be new Clackers, Mrs UtJ's RR 3/4 years old so not too far apart!