Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Need a new car

Post by DasNutNock2 »

My 06 TDi isn’t getting any younger, wife has a mk6 golf. A bigger car doesn’t make sense due to parking being a **** round here, so want something a bit premium, but smaller than a golf. Needs to have a reasonably swish interior, and be nice to drive on the motorway. Can’t think past a Polo or an Audi A1.

Don’t want a Mini because of course I don’t want a Mini. Fiat 500 Arbath, Fiesta ST etc unsuitable due to iffy interiors and twatishness.

Anything else to consider?
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by r99c »

Normal Fiesta, not ST one. Fords very good cars now. And far less twattish than any Audi.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Have a look at the Honest John website. Select 'more options' and fill your boots. When you've done that you'll see r99c is right.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

I’m too old and, I suppose, too successful, to want a fiesta any more. I did love the one I had with the ztec engine, but that was 20 years ago, and I’d feel a bit silly driving one now. I’m less interested in driving dynamics these days, and I do like Fiesta handling, but I’d rather have something a bit more neutrally-styled, inside and out.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

I realise the “too successful” line is pretty twattish, by the way, but I’m definitely at the stage of my life where I can afford to spend a bit more on something like a daily drive than I used to. I’ve had 6 cars in 25 years, the last one for a decade, so I don’t buy them often. I don’t want anything that will age badly and can cough up a bit more dough to get the right car.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Is an A-Class too big?
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm Is an A-Class too big?
Yeah, I wasn’t sure on that one - aren’t they closer to a 1-series BM? Would definitely consider if they’re comparable with a polo.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

The Merc is more 1-series than Polo in size, so Polo it is. Honest John rates them too.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Any idea if they do a polo that does 60 under 8 seconds, other than the GTi?

Edit - autotrader says yes 👍
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

r99c wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:58 pm And far less twattish than any Audi.
Yeh. That old one. :eh:

Buy what you want Dan.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:38 pm Any idea if they do a polo that does 60 under 8 seconds, other than the GTi?

Edit - autotrader says yes 👍
My mate has a Polo GTI 2.0 automatic. Absolutely loves the thing. Webuyanycar are offering him £1k more than what he paid 14 months ago
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Thank me later Dan. :newthumb:

Toyota Corolla.

S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Probably best to avoid used cars, considering the outrageous prices of the used car market, at present.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:45 am Thank me later Dan. :newthumb:

Toyota Corolla.
Probably bigger than I had in mind - we’re really looking at the super mini class, not small family. Nice idea though, hadn’t considered Jap/Korean. Things like the Hyundai i10 are just too spartan to be worth considering.
DasNutNock2

Post by DasNutNock2 »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:45 am Probably best to avoid used cars, considering the outrageous prices of the used car market, at present.
Fair point, I guess we’re not desperate right now, but it’s going to have to happen sooner rather than later. Will the market ever recover to the pre pandemic state?
S-H

Post by S-H »

It will have to eventually, when we bought the Mrs a new car from Nissan, the salesman seemed to think April next year could see prices return to normal.

Although, the part ex value we secured as part of the deal for our car, has already dropped, so who knows..
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:45 am Probably best to avoid used cars, considering the outrageous prices of the used car market, at present.
This. I'm looking around for a replacement for my wife's Vauxhall Viva. She's had it since May 2020, and thought I'd take a gander to see if getting her a diesel Clio or similar size was possible - because truth be told, I want something that's not going to cost a fortune in fuel when I go on my road trips on my own, but isn't going to leave me aching when I'm done. I took it down to WBAC yesterday for them to give a genuine quote, and they offered £5695 for it. 21k on the clock on a 66 plate. That's 300 quid less than what we paid for it. Where we got it from has a 65 plate Viva in stock with a screen price of £6750 that's already been reserved.

It's mental, I'm struggling to find anything to replace it with, so may as well just keep hold of it and see how long it takes for the market to settle. Bugger being in a position where you have to change right now, because you ain't going to be getting VFM, and once new cars start to come back on stream again, the values of nearly news are going to plummet. No idea when that will be though - my in-laws want to chop in their 69 plate Audi Q3 and replace it with another Audi Q3 and have been told it's a 14 month wait.

If you can put up with the Golf for a bit longer, then do so - otherwise expect to pay over the odds for used, or have a horrendously long wait for new.
S-H

Post by S-H »

-DL- wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:58 am If you can put up with the Golf for a bit longer, then do so - otherwise expect to pay over the odds for used, or have a horrendously long wait for new.
New car ordered in September.

Estimated arrival - January/Feburary 2022

Thankfully, we secured a very good price for our current motor.

:D
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

On the subject of smallish cars, pisses me off no end that quite a few manufacturers have mostly dropped their 3-door options now. Yeah, yeah it's easier to get the kids in and out, it's more practical and probably safer if you need to get out after a prang, but here, have a great big centre pillar to spoil your peripheral view.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I don't know much about cars, but I always thought a Clio was a cooler version of the Polo, and an Ibiza had a bit more razz.