Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Cheers mumbles. :newthumb:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 am Cheers mumbles. :newthumb:
Another one to watch is "you have to upgrade your fuse"

I have 60amp (currently, am looking to upgrade to 80/100 just because)

You can get car chargers for 60 amp fuse

My podpoint is a smart one and is programmed to throttle the car if the house needs more than 30 amps (car takes 32 amps)

So theoretically it will never go above 60 (so your DNO will allow it)

In practice the most I pull amp wise (car, tumble, washing machine and dishwasher on) 45 amp
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:47 am Another one to watch is "you have to upgrade your fuse"

I have 60amp (currently, am looking to upgrade to 80/100 just because)

You can get car chargers for 60 amp fuse

My podpoint is a smart one and is programmed to throttle the car if the house needs more than 30 amps (car takes 32 amps)

So theoretically it will never go above 60 (so your DNO will allow it)

In practice the most I pull amp wise (car, tumble, washing machine and dishwasher on) 45 amp
That's fine, but when all your neighbours all start pulling 45 or more amps, I have concerns about the network being able to cope. 60/100 amps is the fuse rating to stop circuit overload, diversity applied would suggest that the network expects less than that across the network.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:17 am That's fine, but when all your neighbours all start pulling 45 or more amps, I have concerns about the network being able to cope. 60/100 amps is the fuse rating to stop circuit overload, diversity applied would suggest that the network expects less than that across the network.
both my neighbour and myself have electric cars (cabbie next door)

we share a looped supply.

the DNO is happy with the pull amount

the grid can handle it

day time usage will always outweigh night usage (we both charge at night) with big business and manufacturers coming online in the day

plus so many things going on we dont know about. I didnt even know about the telsa virtual power network until I looked into their batteries.. ill be going onto that.. they will take over my battery and charge / discharge it when they want to help the grid deal with small spikes as well as taking all the solar from my house (paying me 11p for it)

anyways on subject of cars.. a year of EV.. I dont want to go back.. im looking at second hand EV next time round to replace my car and then when the eldest is out of car sheets im chopping in the MPV for a EV SUV for us
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Mumbles, not going to argue with you.

I don't believe that the network will be able to handle a wholesale move to an EV usership, you cannot compare commercial usage with domestic, as in many cases they simply do not share the same segment of any particular network. But ultimately time will tell :newthumb:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:03 am Mumbles, not going to argue with you.

I don't believe that the network will be able to handle a wholesale move to an EV usership, you cannot compare commercial usage with domestic, as in many cases they simply do not share the same segment of any particular network. But ultimately time will tell :newthumb:
Another one I know their working on now is smart charging

Not everyone needs a full battery all the time

So you plug into the house, say I need 80% by morning

Charger knows this and your energy company manages your speed if Ness or manages all the chargers to not come on at once

Then there is the ones they can take from your car when needed then replace (very rare but future)

The boffins are ahead of us.
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:17 pm I've just changed my car again 🙈

Well it has been almost 5 months since I last did it...
Civic?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Kadjar...
jastons
Has liked: 894 likes
Total likes: 851 likes

Post by jastons »

-DL- wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:38 pmKadjar...
Replacing the Beamer...
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Replacing a Clio...

Beemer went back in November when some mental dealer offered me 2.7k more than I paid for it, which still hasn't sold it, and is up for a grand less than he gave me for it :grin:
Rowly
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 57 likes

Post by Rowly »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:00 am This is a massive myth that needs to be put to bed from the car companies

There is a home standard. Type 2 charger

All cars sold in Europe must have type 2. All the cars being sold brand new now have them

There are lots of different DC chargers which are your fast chargers .. your 100kw, 50kw etc

Those are chademo and ccs

Now day's most are type two with CCS attached. Mine is type two and I can open a extra port and the CCS goes over the type two. Same connection just with two massive holes at bottom for DC power
There's some really good cars out there now all with realworld drivable ranges up around the 300 mile mark and rapid charging speeds of 10% back up to 80% battery charge of around 30 - 40 mins, such as the Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Tesla Model 3 & Model Y, Skoda Enyaq, Ford Mustang Mach -E, VW iD 3 & iD4, Renault Zoe, and the new Megane E-Tech just about to come out, the soon to be launched Nissan Ariya....
There's a load of really good info on EVs on You Tube with several channels all doing independant unbiased reviews on virtually every EV on the market, such as AutoEV, Electrifying.com, Fully Charged Show, Car Gurus UK, Carwow,(who have done a few videos where they drive several evenly specd EV's till they die to see how far they will actually go compared to manufacturers claims, and what happens when they do run out completely),
Auto Trader Electroheads.
There's also a guy who calls himself Electric Vehicle Man who also goes into the merits and whys & wherefores of Solar Panels and Battery storage etc, the costs involved and likely payback time etc.
well worth having a look into :newthumb:
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Decided to upgrade my work motor.

Settled for a Ford Ranger in the end..

Seems sensible, considering the current price of diesel..

:D :oops:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2573 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Well after several hundred pounds passing the MOT, then a new alternator, then a new battery, and now back in due to the exhaust blowing, I wish I had a new car. Can't afford one though, especially now after fixing the old one up. I think when it gives up, I might actually do without a car for a year.

Cars, family, energy... everything in life at the moment just feels like a money drain.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Channel 5 tonight (Wednesday 13th) at 7pm, "Should I Buy an Electric Car?"
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:08 pm Channel 5 tonight (Wednesday 13th) at 7pm, "Should I Buy an Electric Car?"
I personally don't want to buy another ice

I hate the vauxhall as a car but the ev life is brilliant

Once the lease is up I'll buy a second hand leaf or mg ev just to be my work car

Then once eldest is out of car seats (only 10cm away) I will look into leasing a suv with 300 miles range and a big boot

£60 to fill up half a tank yesterday. Give it first time since September so how others cope is amazing.

Ev charges every other day at the cost of £1 a day ATM even if it goes through the roof it will still be less than the price petrol was
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Having just watched the programme, I'm none the wiser. If anything I'm slightly more averse to buying one in the near future, upfront cost notwithstanding. I had no idea you needed a degree in computer science to recharge one at a public charge point, assuming it's working in the first place, by no means a given. If you thought Ringo for parking was a total faff you're in for a shock. Different provider, different app which you must have downloaded onto your smartphone and used to create an account. With password. Don't have a smartphone? Forget owning an electric car.

No mention of how much things like headlamps, heating or air conditioning reduce the useable range, or how much charge 'leaks away' when the car's not being used. Battery deterioration over time was also ignored.

I think I'll keep my eighteen year old diesel for now.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

Bloke I know with a Tesla said they will tell you the range on a full battery is around 380 miles, start using wipers, heaters etc it's more like 180 miles.

He reckons his hybrid was better.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Having just watched the programme, I'm none the wiser. If anything I'm slightly more averse to buying one in the near future, upfront cost notwithstanding. I had no idea you needed a degree in computer science to recharge one at a public charge point, assuming it's working in the first place, by no means a given. If you thought Ringo for parking was a total faff you're in for a shock. Different provider, different app which you must have downloaded onto your smartphone and used to create an account. With password. Don't have a smartphone? Forget owning an electric car.

No mention of how much things like headlamps, heating or air conditioning reduce the useable range, or how much charge 'leaks away' when the car's not being used. Battery deterioration over time was also ignored.

I think I'll keep my eighteen year old diesel for now.
If you don't have a smart phone you can get a card sent out

With the air con heating issue I've found it much of a much

That's why precondition has been invented

Get the car cool / heated before you get in, slowly over 20 mins rather than full power full blowers

Get in car warm and Ice free don't even need much heating set to 22

Summer set to 18 comfortable all way

Heat pumps have Been a revelation in EV.. uses much less power

The power drain when not used is minimal

Majority of people ev will suit

However they cost too much and those who need to drive 300 miles in a day doesn't work for
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm Having just watched the programme, I'm none the wiser....
Being someone that often does long trips, it's unfathomable how an electric car will work for me. A pal of mine has dumped a good chunk of his out-of-London bus driver wages on the lease of a Tesla last year. TBH, he can be a bit of a twat, and was being a piss taking flash **** on FB when the panic buying of fuel was going on last year. Naturally, he got the **** ripped out of him when him going on holiday was delayed for 24 hours when the village where he lives had a power-cut and his car didn't charge over night :grin:

The reality is biting that the range is nowhere near what's quoted, and if he can find a public charging point, they're either not working or there is somebody else already in it.

One of the Mrs mates came to say hi the other week, and she lives in Clacton and has a Corsa E. She got here, and didn't have enough range remaining to get back, and ended up having to plot up at Bluewater for an hour and a half whilst it sat on a charge point there.

It just seems a total faff.

'Yay, I can get an 80% charge in 30-40 minutes'.

Well bully for you, I can fill with diesel in 3 minutes and go 700 miles before I need to go again.

'Yeah, but the cost of diesel'

And? My time and convenience is far more precious than than ****ing about a couple of times on a long drive that would normally take 3-4-5 hours then becoming one where I have to stop once, maybe twice for an hour or more just to get where I'm going.

Battery technology needs to make another monumental leap before I'd so much as entertain the idea. I'll probably be dead by then anyway.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:37 pmBeing someone that often does long trips, it's unfathomable how an electric car will work for me. Battery technology needs to make another monumental leap before I'd so much as entertain the idea. I'll probably be dead by then anyway.
Agree with all that, DL.
Was in a Hyundai main dealer today, paying for an out of warranty repair.. :swear:
Saw their Ioniq 5; yeah, beautiful looking car but at £50k, it bloody should be!
It obviously works for mumbles & the way he uses his but probably wouldn't for the majority of us.., yet.
1) They are ridiculously expensive new
2) The battery performance needs to be far better than it is at present
3) The infrastructure is really not what it needs to be yet
4) Driving in winter (on longer journeys) using lights, heating, air con, seriously reduces range & batteries really don't like cold/freezing conditions.
5) Compared to a petrol/diesel you've got to do so MUCH more planning, ahead of journeys
6) I now know why Hammerman likes his lists..
All imo, of course.

Wouldn't surprise me that by the time 1) to 5) are much better, some clever boffins will have invented synthetic, non-carbon releasing fuels, making EVs redundant..