Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:42 pm Mumbles, how long is the 11p stuff with the Tesla gadget fixed for?

Sounds like a decent set up to me but I'd be really worried long term with such a high outlay.

Personally, i see it playing out that EVs will end up with around 600 odd miles range as standard, with more premium batteries giving 1k+. Charging/swapping will be quick enough to not be any more inconvenient than filling up at a garage.

However, the government is going to have to fill that tax hole somewhere. Will be interesting to see how they do it.
A bit of history with the 11p rate is that up until energy went made it had been 8p. And thus far they still keep it at 11p

The reason why is they make a fortune from you. When you go into the plan they take control of your battery and the grid basically becomes your battery. So all excess solar you sell for 11p and buy back in winter..in summer you will be paid to be on the plan winter pay a bit more but over year levels out

Anyways the way they make money is your battery. They buy energy when it's cheap and fully charge your battery. Then when it's expensive I'e evening peak they discharge your battery and your power goes to other households nearby

Not only balancing the grid for them but making them ££££

So your reward for setting up is the cheap energy as they make their money 10 fold

More on it here

https://octopus.energy/tesla-energy-plan-faq/

I'm not too worried about the 11p. Even it it went to 20p it would be in line with prices rising so providing it's cheaper than what the stand variable is your always ahead ..

ATM it's 11p and the variable is 28p for example

Before it was 8p and energy was 14p

And so on
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:46 pm As I say mate, good luck to you - but the maths have been worked out simplistically, but realistically, you'll probably be looking at 15 years before breaking even on your 16k outlay, by which point it will probably all be obsolete anyway, (and that's not if it isn't in 10 years) but I'll probably be toes up and sprinkled under a waterfall in The Brecon Beacons by then, so I'll never know.

I genuinely do hope this pays for itself and your outlay was worth it - but it reminds me of back in the day in the early 2000s when I was convincing punters to stick sodding great solar arrays on their roofs and making a mint from it by selling it back to the grid and not having to pay electricity bills - and we all know how that turned out in the end - but I genuinely wish you good luck.
Those people are still making a mint in some cases..I know people who have bought a seperate cheap array and a powerwal to get on the plan as they would have to give up their brilliant feed in tariff to get on it which makes them say 17p a unit ...mines the standard 4p as I'm on go I can't go higher .. missed the boat for good payments

Your right when energy levels off its 15 years probably but even then the equipment will still be running and the panels will still be saving

£150 saved already on 14p a unit and 4p sell back isn't to be sniffed at.. as let's face it we won't see this again

But it's not just about money for me. That's 3000 kw a year less off the grid which I produce myself and reduce My carbon footprint

So I'm happy with the whole set up ATM. Just waiting that battery.. darn war in Ukraine... Elon donated them all to their buildings lol
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Seen that BMW were/are looking to charge for heated seats on a monthly basis, how the "f" does that work 9ut?

Are mico-transactions the future of car ownership?
dodgy dave
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by dodgy dave »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:11 pm Seen that BMW were/are looking to charge for heated seats on a monthly basis, how the "f" does that work 9ut?

Yep. But if I was you go for the indicators instead
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It seems to be the way it's heading. It works as thus - economies of scale. It's cheaper to build them all the same, barring engines and trim and body colour. If all cars are built with every option on it, the end user (in old money, the owner) pays a subscription to activate certain functions of the car.

They are then activated over the air via the iDrive system. Stop paying, you lose the heated seats. They're not daft though, because subscriptions are yearly, so you can't pay for six months heated seats in the summer.

I did read that there may be legal ramifications of this, because theoretically under consumer law, if you purchase something, then you should reasonable expect something that you own to work - such as heated seats - but - with fact that most car purchases are leases or PCP as opposed to outright ownership - it muddies the waters.

If you're buying one outright or on HP, expect dealers to sling the subscriptions in with the car.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Checks thread to see if Monkeybubbles has posted yet...
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:11 pm Seen that BMW were/are looking to charge for heated seats on a monthly basis, how the "f" does that work 9ut?

yes, its not a bad idea either. kit a car out but people only pay for what they want / afford without having to shop around too much for the right model spec second hand

guy at work was looking at tesla model 3s .. all the ones he wanted went, there was another which was 6 grand more.. only difference was the self drive.. he spoke to them.. they deactivated it and charged him 6 grand less for the car
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^^Tesla got into a bit of bother recently when someone bought a second hand one and sometime later found some features had been remotely disabled by Tesla. They claimed the software licence was non transferrable and if he wanted the features he'd have to pay up. I can't remember how it ended (I suspect it would vary from country to country) but it's something to watch.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:22 pm ^^^^^Tesla got into a bit of bother recently when someone bought a second hand one and sometime later found some features had been remotely disabled by Tesla. They claimed the software licence was non transferrable and if he wanted the features he'd have to pay up. I can't remember how it ended (I suspect it would vary from country to country) but it's something to watch.
According to guy at work he can have it reactivated just has to pay the then going rate for that option

Might be why it's changed now from one off option that couldn't be changed maybe
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 868 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Came home with a nice 2019 Qashqai today.

Got a decent enough price for a decent enough car.

Thanks DL for the advice!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:02 pm Came home with a nice 2019 Qashqai today.
Nice car, you won't be disappointed.
chelmsfordhammer91

S-H wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:40 pm Nice car, you won't be disappointed.
Yeah it's been alright so far. Replacing a ford focus so much preferring that higher up stance on it.

We still have the courtesy one (no plan yet on when the car is being assessed for value but has been confirmed as a write off).

We got the Acenta Premium trim, one of the lower ones but has the reverse camera, sat nav. Keyless start is nice on the courtesy one but the tekna+ trim was out of our budget.

28k miles on the clock, full nissan service history and only two small paint chips. The interior was absolutely pristine, was not expecting it to be so 'new'.

We paid 13k in the end but included getting the MOT/Service renewed as it was done in feb, and got new bridgestones and brake pads.

That was our top budget, but at first they wouldn't budge from the £13,160 or whatever they wanted including the additional stuff. Was actually going to walk (could have paid the extra but you need a hard limit), told them we weren't trying to muck them about but that was our limit then ten minutes later they do it.
chelmsfordhammer91

Oh, and it's the 1.5 dci diesel engine, as the MPG should be much better, as my wife commutes from Chelmsford to Thurrock four days a week.
chelmsfordhammer91

And it had a towbar fitted which I didn't notice at first. Was a bit worried that it had been lugging a caravan or something but the previous owner was disabled so i assume some sort of mobility scooter trailer or something.

Just looked how much it costs for a towbar and fitting, jesus.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:02 pm It seems to be the way it's heading. It works as thus - economies of scale. It's cheaper to build them all the same, barring engines and trim and body colour. If all cars are built with every option on it, the end user (in old money, the owner) pays a subscription to activate certain functions of the car.

They are then activated over the air via the iDrive system. Stop paying, you lose the heated seats. They're not daft though, because subscriptions are yearly, so you can't pay for six months heated seats in the summer.

I did read that there may be legal ramifications of this, because theoretically under consumer law, if you purchase something, then you should reasonable expect something that you own to work - such as heated seats - but - with fact that most car purchases are leases or PCP as opposed to outright ownership - it muddies the waters.

If you're buying one outright or on HP, expect dealers to sling the subscriptions in with the car.
:chin: maybe I'm just to old-fashioned.

Much like in your post DL, if I pay out, then I expect the bells and whistles to work. I can see the economies of scale thing being advantageous to the manufacturer. I wonder if this might lead to back street garages who can hack the systems?
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:21 am :chin: maybe I'm just to old-fashioned.

Much like in your post DL, if I pay out, then I expect the bells and whistles to work. I can see the economies of scale thing being advantageous to the manufacturer. I wonder if this might lead to back street garages who can hack the systems?
Oh without a doubt it will. People can 'hack' anything and I would be surprised if the software BMW use is anymore secure than that used on mobile phones, games consoles or Sky Sports
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:21 am :chin: maybe I'm just to old-fashioned.

It's been going on for years with Mercedes, and they're not just back street garages either. One very highly respected firm, who deal in all kinds of MB electrical stuff (sounds, cameras etc.) will enable everything possible on your car for a flat fee of one hour of their time.
Newer models aren't so lucky in that MB have caught on to what's happening. They keep a central database of every option on every car sold since about five or six years ago and when it goes into an authorised MB dealership for servicing they connect it to mothership and any unpaid for options are removed. Of course you don't have to take it to an MB dealership...
It is possible to do it yourself with MB's STAR, their proprietary diagnostic system. Trouble is it's ludicrously expensive (unlike far eastern knock off clones), but I am aware of private individuals who have their own.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I extended my lease last December due to supply issues and lead times. I have the option to extend into a 5th year but I am not sure I want to do that so I asked the leasing company to quote me on a new car.

Holy ****!

I have learned that Merc has ceased production of all non-electric vehicles for the foreseeable future and lead time on BMW's in excess of 14 months.

So they quoted me on a range of VAG vehicles. The cheapest was £365pm for a 1.0 polo!

So after 15 years with the same leasing company, it's time to move on!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

^^^^ Yep, even Ford have had to restrict what they are selling, and are currently only offering 'off the peg' cars. So what you see on the brochure in regards to specs - that's what you're buying. No 'packs', no optional extras - they're doing it to try and reduce delivery lead times.

Rich, have a look at a company called Stable Vehicle Contracts.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

They are on my list together with First Vehicle Leasing, Select and Brindle.