Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by -DL- »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:14 am
But my mate pointed out that I wouldn't put new high tech parts on a lovely vintage guitar, so why do it to the car?

I like your mate. He's wise.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:15 pm And that's why they are high school teachers.
Logically speaking, they're right. But for reasons unknown, electric vehicles have received tons of support and backing over other technologies.
Just this weekend I was reading an article about the CCO (I think) from Aston Martin who is dead against EV's as things like bio-fuels will most likely take the place of carbon fuels.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

-DL- wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm I like your mate. He's wise.
He said I should tell you to stop calling him. And give his slippers back.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:28 pmBut for reasons unknown, electric vehicles have received tons of support and backing over other technologies.
It's quite obvious where the support & backing is from - the manufacturers. They'll be the ones funding lobby groups, seeding information and misinformation emphasising the environmental damage and dangers of fossil fuels and running ICE cars, and putting pressure on governments to make policy changes that legislate that cars must be fully electric by a certain date. And they'll be the ones who rake in the money when everyone has to change their cars.

Will happen again 20-odd years after everyone's got an EV. Lobby groups will form to highlight the various environmental problems from battery manufacturing, and before we know it, we'll have switched to hydrogen fuel cells, small fusion reactors or wind-up clockwork powered cars, and the EVs will be pushed into landfill along with your 2019 TDI.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Just scrapped my tired old Toyota Corolla & got £200 for it. Result!

Add that to my £135 insurance policy refund & I imagine this is what it feels like to win the lottery. :scarfer:

Going to see if I can get by without a car for a while.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

As a petrol-head, I am finding it quite amusing seeing in various local rag websites popping up on MSN and elsewhere about EV drivers being stung for parking fines for overstaying in car parks whilst they're on charge.

Of course, it's not the EV's fault that the drivers don't read the car park signage or assume that the time limits don't apply to them because they're charging, but it makes me give a wry smile nonetheless.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

I'll jump on the end of this thread to save starting a new one,
My Jeep is on its last legs, mot due in the next couple of months and there's no way it's passing, gonna cost more than its worth.
I've got £10k for a new car,
I've got 3 dogs, go fishing every weekend, camping, dogging and other outdoor pursuits that need me to put the back seats down and use it like a van and sometimes a little light off roading,
So I'm looking for an suv under 10k that's going to take a bit of abuse,
Any ideas?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Tristan Shout wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 am I'll jump on the end of this thread to save starting a new one,
My Jeep is on its last legs, mot due in the next couple of months and there's no way it's passing, gonna cost more than its worth.
I've got 3 dogs, go fishing every weekend, camping, dogging and other outdoor pursuits that need me to put the back seats down and use it like a van and sometimes a little light off roading,
Any ideas?
Toyota Rav seem to come top of most reliable cars quite often , that or a CRV .
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Recently moved from a jeep Grand cherokee CRD to a rav 4 (albeit well under £10k) and found it 'light weight', if that makes sense? Comes across as smaller, noisier, not as stable on motorways, etc. But also much more nimble and still has excellent carrying capacity. So if you're not doing loads of motorway mileage then something like that is a decent shout.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Tristan Shout wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:52 am I'll jump on the end of this thread to save starting a new one,
Any ideas?
I've had a couple of RAV4s, albeit older models now, both were great cars.
Currently have a Mazda CX5 which is a cracking car, used to take 3 dogs in it, have to say I don't put the seats down very often though :grin:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Right boys and girls. Yay or nay?

I want to downsize my Pug 308 Estate because we've already got a Kadjar in the family, and having two big motors seems pointless.

I've found a car, a Nissan Micra 1.5d, I took it out for a drive yesterday, and it was actually surprisingly good to drive. The cabin was a nice place to be, it's got a little bit of poke, and it's kinda funky with it's black and red half leather interior and Bose sound system, as well as being loaded with gadgets and toys.

But it's a Micra :zippy:

Looking past the badges - yay or nay?

EastHam56
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by EastHam56 »

DL , stop buying French cars ! The Micra would have been in the Renault plant in Flins .

The fact that they might be economical , cheap and reliable is no excuse !
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

You obviously like the car, so go for it. Can you get a 'cooler' badge with similar spec for similar money?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

jastons wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:14 am You obviously like the car, so go for it. Can you get a 'cooler' badge with similar spec for similar money?
The equivalent Clio, on which it shares the same platform, engines, running gear - is a hell of a lot more.
EastHam56 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:59 am DL , stop buying French cars ! The Micra would have been in the Renault plant in Flins .

The fact that they might be economical , cheap and reliable is no excuse !
As you're no doubt aware, and as I mentioned above - it's a Clio in a funky frock.

SH,

That video was a genuine lol :grin:
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Fair play Emelda DL, you do get through them. :crylol:
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Jonah wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am Fair play Emelda DL, you do get through them. :crylol:
This will only be the 5th one since March 2020, that's about average, isn't it?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

As a confirmed non petrol head I quite liked the ride in the Pug.
What are the advantages of switching to the smaller Micra?
Am guessing it's fuel economy and maybe insurance, but is there much difference between the two?
If there isn't I wouldn't bother.
Or is is that you just fancy something a bit different?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

mushy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:44 am As a confirmed non petrol head I quite liked the ride in the Pug.
What are the advantages of switching to the smaller Micra?
Am guessing it's fuel economy and maybe insurance, but is there much difference between the two?
If there isn't I wouldn't bother.
Or is is that you just fancy something a bit different?
Probably not as economical. (the economy in that Pug amazes me - 65mpg to and from Frankfurt with a binding brake, and 120mph driving on the non-restricted bit of Autobahn!) ) but, you've seen yourself how tight my driveway is with the Pug in it - that's the main reason tbh. Even insurance wouldn't change that much - It's only £310 a year on The Pug.

It's a ball ache having to keep moving it when we go shopping or get a shopping delivery.

Want to by a Pug? :rofl:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We had a Nissan Micra 1.2 - drove it until it literally fell to bits - one of the best cars we've ever owned as far as reliability was concerned - its weak spot was the wiper motor linkage - it broke 3 times - once when I was driving from Anglesey to Skye n the pouring rain somewhere in the North of England , another thing was the boot lock . That was an old 54 plate so they've probably fixed that by now . :grin: