Need a new car

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: Need a new car

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

S-H wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:08 am
She a relation S-H?
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Me Maa.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

When I was driving class 1s up and down the country my heart would always sink whenever a Micra came off the slip road in front of me as I knew there would be a few miles of fun with the Micra doing about the same speed I was limited to and when they dropped down a bit and I went to go past they’d go a little bit faster… :shocker:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

I didn't get the Micra - but have got myself a nice little 2019 Pug 208.

Well I say me - Mrs DL has taken a shine to it - so it looks like I'm having the Kadjar then :grin:

In the words of Hannibal Smith, 'I love it when a plan comes together...' :lover:
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Looking for an SUV that will easily take 2 rear facing child seats and leave me enough room to put my seat back far enough as I’ve long legs. Thinking Zafira currently. Anyone had experience with a Ford Kuga ?
Last edited by Hammersfaniow on Mon May 16, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Nissan Qashqai?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Hammersfaniow wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:21 pm Looking for an SUV that will easily take 2 rear facing child seats and leave me enough room to put my seat back far enough as I’ve long legs. Thinking Zamora currently. Anyone had experience with a Ford Kuga ?
Honda hrv (old shape) fit everything
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

S-H wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:24 pmNissan Qashqai?
Tried that but the car seats we’ve got are massive, Axkid carseats. They’d fit, but with the one behind the drivers seat doesn’t give me enough room at the wheel
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Was thinking about a change, but 1 new rear shock and the old Skoda went through the MOT again yesterday, so itlooks like I'm stuck with the turquoise pig for another year. It's a horrible machine, but it's never broken down in nearly 50 thousand milessince Ihad it (currently 168,000) and total expenditure in the 4 years stands at about a grand(including purchase price).
I'd still rather use the bus though.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:35 am This will only be the 5th one since March 2020, that's about average, isn't it?
Yep, I'm on my fifth motor as well.

Oh, hang on....... ? March 2020 ......?

Oh, okay I thought you said March 1987. :oops:
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I've spent years fighting the urge to get a keeping-up-with-the-Jones's car.

I bought a Zafira 10 years ago and have been driving it without issue ever since. I feel the sneering judgement of others in these parts though but it never used to bother me so much.

I obviously like not making payments for a car, or alternatively drooping tens of thousands in cash on something.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^Don't worry about it. I'm driving an eighteen year old Merc diesel estate in a road full of Teslas, Porsches and Jaaaaaags.
Fukkem.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Hammersfaniow wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm Tried that but the car seats we’ve got are massive, Axkid carseats. They’d fit, but with the one behind the drivers seat doesn’t give me enough room at the wheel
Cant you turn the front passenger airbag off and have one there, and Mrs HFIOW sit in the back behind you?
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Do many on this thread drive and automatic? Pros vs Cons please.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

jastons wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:30 pm Do many on this thread drive and automatic? Pros vs Cons please.
Me. I bought one a decade ago and haven't changed the car. Given the driving I do and that I couldn't GAF about cars generally it doesn't make much difference to me.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2445 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

After years of scoffing at autos, I’ve concluded I was completely wrong about them. Manuals are required for performance, fun driving on clear roads in good conditions - which almost never happens. In majority of usage, autos are clearly more appropriate. I still worry about the repair costs of 8spd autos but if you’re leasing under warranty, you’d be mad to buy another manual, especially if you live anywhere built-up.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

Oh how I scoffed at my 50 year old Dad's Volvo 345 automatic back in the 80s, then the replacement Astra auto when the Volvo got nicked :lol:

30 years later, my previous three cars have been VAG DSG and I won't go back to manual. It does make hiring cars on holiday interesting.......

"What's that smell?"

(...changes out of 3rd gear on the motorway.....)
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

I've had one auto in my life - a 2.9 Scorpio about 20 years ago. They are good around town in traffic. That's about the only thing I like about them. It wasn't long before I went back to a manual and have stuck with manual ever since. I just like the control you have with a gear stick - I like to change gear when I want, and I feel like I have better vehicle control as a consequence.

Auto box is great in a bus though (even though it's not unheard of for me to still reach down for a stick when I'm at work) :grin:
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

That is the good option with the DSG, stick it in manual when you want (obv have the change lag to put up with though)
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I've had a good selection of manual and auto cars over the decades and much prefer auto. It's so much more relaxing, especially in traffic and my days of pretending I'm a racing driver are long gone. Of course it could be that most of my manuals have been smaller cars and therefore more skittish, while my autos were (and still are) bigger, more stable cars.