January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Colours never run »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 pm Lingard was warming up last night. Then he brought on Sancho and Van de Beek. They have a fully fit frontline now pretty much and he isn’t getting close. I think a January return would be likely. Newcastle might try, but surely he doesn’t go there.
Predictably Ole has absolutely lied through his teeth persuading Lingard to stay at Man Utd and gave the impression he'd play him and in his plans. If I was Lingard I'd already be thinking about ****ing it all off for good now, but then I'd have gone in the summer anyway.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

HammerAl wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:31 pm It is highly unlikely Lingard comes back in and produces anything near what he did for us last season.
I used to think that too but I have to admit he's shown some real quality at times for England and Manchester United in his brief appearances since he left us.

Maybe a better way to think of it is he would take Yarmolenko's wage packet and squad position, which – even with him being 28/29 – would still bring the average age of the squad down.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1120 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

For the last two positions we need cover/competition, left back and striker, I would like Owen Wijndal and Marcus Thuram. I think both would fit into our system perfectly, flourish under Moyes and are both a good age. Also, neither would cost a fortune.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

sutts07 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Also a lot closer to Manchester than London is, that may be a factor re family.
Yeah, that aspect was something I did consider tbf...
Prob wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:05 pm
Bit of a out liner for him, seasons before that his stats where below that.

He had a good 6 months with us.
He had a good 6 months with us indeed, so why does that he mean he can't have a good few years with us exactly? It's like coming here and performing well is somehow being turned into a negative.
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

BigFatSam wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:42 pm Now we’ve agreed on Jesse, I think we need to be all over Bellotti.

The geezer is available and at a snip of the price he’ll be at once he has a new contract somewhere else.
These two and a young left-back and we are flying. Dreamland stuff.

And I would start Jesse over Benrahma on current form.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:42 pm Predictably Ole has absolutely lied through his teeth persuading Lingard to stay at Man Utd and gave the impression he'd play him and in his plans. If I was Lingard I'd already be thinking about ****ing it all off for good now, but then I'd have gone in the summer anyway.
If I was Lingard I'd be waiting for Ole to get the Spanish Archer treatment and trust that I'm able to impress the new Man Utd manager enough to play him, with the fall back being leave on a free in the summer.

I really can't see Lingard leaving them in Jan.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:01 pm If I was Lingard I'd be waiting for Ole to get the Spanish Archer treatment and trust that I'm able to impress the new Man Utd manager enough to play him, with the fall back being leave on a free in the summer.

With the amount of near misses so far, he's more like the boy from William Tell!
Long Shot
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Long Shot »

Lingard has talent, ability and is committed to his profession. He seems to have a tight bond with Moyse and being one of the bigger names in the team will play well with his ego, all positives for me.

However I don't think he will have the same mindset and that rocket up his jacksey to over achieve his ability as he had last Jan.

If he returns I think we'll get a good player but not the same player and same impact
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:45 pm Yeah, that aspect was something I did consider tbf...

He had a good 6 months with us indeed, so why does that he mean he can't have a good few years with us exactly? It's like coming here and performing well is somehow being turned into a negative.
People seem to be getting hung up on the fact he won’t be as good as he was in the first 3 months, but that’s mainly because his stats were off the chart so of course he won’t match those.

However Lingard doesn’t need to be at that level to be a good signing. If we can get him for around £10m and he can perform at a level which means he starts more often than not, then that would still make him a worthwhile signing.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

sendô wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:01 pm If I was Lingard I'd be waiting for Ole to get the Spanish Archer treatment and trust that I'm able to impress the new Man Utd manager enough to play him, with the fall back being leave on a free in the summer.

Not if I just saw the Club drag their heels after the Liverpool result and see the likes of Conte overlooked. I'd be demanding my agent to get in touch with West Ham, I've had enough of this.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

This is a very good point.

He wants to succeed at Man Utd, and believes that he is good enough to do so. You can’t fault him for that.
We should be in his ear at every opportunity to get him to join us, though.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

stu1 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:24 pm People seem to be getting hung up on the fact he won’t be as good as he was in the first 3 months, but that’s mainly because his stats were off the chart so of course he won’t match those.
He just needs a bigger bag of pistachios.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:42 pm Predictably Ole has absolutely lied through his teeth persuading Lingard to stay at Man Utd and gave the impression he'd play him and in his plans. If I was Lingard I'd already be thinking about ****ing it all off for good now, but then I'd have gone in the summer anyway.
The Ronaldo signing changed things. Not just for Lingard given Sancho barely gets a look in now either. It changed the whole pecking order and, more recently, the system too.

It is a very different position to when those assurances were made. The telling aspect though is no sign of contract negotiations.

Now it is just a case of whether Lingard wants to stay in the North (Everton, Newcastle) or not. Newcastle could give him an interesting double pay day if he gets the right clauses in place.
Colours never run

He'd be mad not to come back if given the chance.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

As we know Moyes is studious and does`nt just jump in with his signings. He takes his time and having had Lingard under his wing already, he knows what hes gonna get with him, and I think he was mightily impressed - as we all were. Lingard is a confidence player, needs a fatherly type manager- which Moyes is. Throw in that he had a great relationship and bants with the team and fans then for me its a no brainer £10/12m... Still needs to be playing regularly to force his way into the England team too. (Under the watchful eye of Paul Nevin)
Hlozek is a good shout for a striker next summer but think we need a seasoned campaigner in Jan, Bellotti is a good shout but also think Origi should be considered- has got European and Premiership experience, though not sure the German Stephen Merchant would let him go currently.
Above all else they need to fit into Moyes team in all senses of the word..
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

If not lingard then I think we need someone who can do a similar job. Someone with a bit of spark who can change a game. At the moment our attacking sub options are solid but not particularly inspiring - they're very much see the game out/b team players. Luckily we haven't really been in the position where we need this too much so far, but I think having some extra dynamism in there would really make us a formidable attacking unit. Vlašić may come good, but if lingard or someone similar(I don't know who, I'm not a scout) is available in Jan then I think we'll regret it if we don't act.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

why do we want lingard from a team that are worse than us and he cant get in their side - what next getting that trophyless glen murray chap from tottenham ??

only joking - come back jesse
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Yarmolenko is on £115k a week and provides not a great deal. He's also out of contract in the summer. Even if we were to spend £150k a week on Lingard, you're essentially only adding £35k a week to the wage bill, but you are adding a player who scored 9 goals in 5 months for us last year and removing a player who has scored 7 goals in 3 and a bit seasons.

We'd be mental not to have a crack for him. Although I see no real reason why he wouldn't just hang on and wait for the summer where plenty of clubs might fancy giving him more than £150k a week.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:22 pm plenty of clubs might fancy giving him more than £150k a week.
Really??
I don't think there is a single player outside of the 'Sky Sports Six' who is on that much.
And I can't see any of those clubs really going in hard for Lingard. Spurs and Arsenal maybe, but the rest... no chance.

edit...
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/rankings/weekly/

40 players in the league on 150k per week or more if this site is accurate.
12 of them are at Man Utd, 10 at Chelsea, 7 at Liverpool, 6 at Man City, 3 at Arsenal and 2 at Spurs.

Interestingly this has Lingard on 75k per week as they have averaged his salary over his four year agreement. That may be some way out now that he is in his forth year.

It has Zouma as our top earner on 120 and Yarmo in second place on 115 (scandalous, his agent must have retired after that deal).
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

sutts07 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:41 pm Really??
I don't think there is a single player outside of the 'Sky Sports Six' who is on that much.
And I can't see any of those clubs really going in hard for Lingard. Spurs and Arsenal maybe, but the rest... no chance.

edit...
https://www.spotrac.com/epl/rankings/weekly/

40 players in the league on 150k per week or more if this site is accurate.
12 of them are at Man Utd, 10 at Chelsea, 7 at Liverpool, 6 at Man City, 3 at Arsenal and 2 at Spurs.

Interestingly this has Lingard on 75k per week as they have averaged his salary over his four year agreement. That may be some way out now that he is in his forth year.

It has Zouma as our top earner on 120 and Yarmo in second place on 115 (scandalous, his agent must have retired after that deal).
I was thinking more on the continent. What did Juve pay Ramsey?

Given that you're saving the best part of £20/£30m for a very good player. Give him £200k a week and you've still only spent a grand total of £20m over 2 years (which is a bargain for a player of his ability in this day and age).