January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by paulhs1 »

If we get an early injury to any of the three centre backs then Moyes may have to take a look at this

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler ... e&yt0=Show
unmartillo
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by unmartillo »

funky chicken wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:37 am Moyes’ press’s conference:

Do you accept it is a bit of a risk to carry on with one striker? Or is this you sticking to your guns of your policy of not just getting one in to have [extra bodies]?

There was no intention of taking any risk, I wouldn't use the word risk because we have other people who can play there.

We were always trying to add to what we thought we could do. It would hard to get better than Jarrod if we're talking about another striker.

I didn't just want backup, I wanted real competition. I could have easily gone out and bought backup, easily. I wanted people who were actually going to take other people's jerseys and challenge them.

Moyes on Board support:

I can only tell you the board were terrific through the January window and they have been since I have been here. They have supported us greatly and made funds available and we tried to use the money as best we could but we just could not get a couple of players I really liked so I would rather save the money than waste it.

Jesse Lingard in the summer?

I don't know, we will see.

Deals close to being done:

We certainly did [get close to deals] but for different reasons it didn't quite happen.

Kalvin Phillips, Raphina and Darwin Nunez were mentioned in the last few days is that the level you have to try to pitch at for your group because it is so strong and could you revisit the targets in the summer?

I'd never tell you my targets because that would be wrong even the names you are mentioning I could not guarantee if you were correct or not, but what I do want to do is be ambitious here at West Ham, I want to bring in good players and I want to add to what I think is a relly good squad, we are building on it. Sometimes, getting things you actually want, you have to wait a little bit longer. We were not able to get it this January window. But I think it was quite obvious to most clubs, as I said I think it was nine clubs who didn't do any business in January, so it should be no surprise to a lot of people that we were one but we did try very hard I have to say.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-u ... e-22982974
Very reasonable and measured, makes sense, man with a plan. Won't go down well in this thread at all :crylol:
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

unmartillo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:59 am Very reasonable and measured, makes sense, man with a plan. Won't go down well in this thread at all :crylol:
In Moyes we trust.

Stand by it. He won me over, I have no reason to doubt the man.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:15 am Image
Glad you're back S-H. What's your thoughts on our lack of transfer activity, I know you thought theyd be at least two incomings?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Disappointed, it's not ideal but it is what it is, I think we just have to trust Moyes, he knows what he wants, and he's not willing to take short cuts in getting there, I'm comfortable and fully supportive of that approach.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:20 am Disappointed, it's not ideal but it is what it is, I think we just have to trust Moyes, he knows what he wants, and he's not willing to take short cuts in getting there, I'm comfortable and fully supportive of that approach.
I have no faith in anything you say anymore :winker:
S-H

Post by S-H »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:32 am I have no faith in anything you say anymore :winker:
Anymore?

So there was a time, that you did?

:shocker:
psychoscoredthelot

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:49 am If we get an early injury to any of the three centre backs then Moyes may have to take a look at this

Sane
Pele
Reyes
Fernandinho

All available on a free - they might not be the household names that you think they are but imagine the shirt sales and PR

Pele signs for west ham !!
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:38 am Sane
Pele
Reyes
Fernandinho

All available on a free - they might not be the household names that you think they are but imagine the shirt sales and PR

Pele signs for west ham !!
I'm not worried about the name, I would have more interest in making sure that the defender coming in can do a better job then Alese or Baptiste, should two from our 3 currently fit centre backs become injured.

Koscielny is the first name on that list who has premier league experience and who might comfortably be able to tick that box.

Bet he would happily take a 5 month loan too
psychoscoredthelot

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:34 am Anymore?

So there was a time, that you did?

:shocker:
i was being as polite as i could be.
S-H

Post by S-H »

That cut deep bro.
psychoscoredthelot

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:57 am That cut deep bro.
:crylol:
psychoscoredthelot

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:43 am I'm not worried about the name, I would have more interest in making sure that the defender coming in can do a better job then Alese or Baptiste, should two from our 3 currently fit centre backs become injured.
I reckon you would buy a shirt with PELE on the back if we signed him.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

paulhs1 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:49 am If we get an early injury to any of the three centre backs then Moyes may have to take a look at this

Just get Winston Reid back on a short-term contract
We could do a lot lot worse
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I see Doneil Henry is still only 28 - must be coming in to his prime .
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:03 pm Just get Winston Reid back on a short-term contract
We could do a lot lot worse
I bet Sulli is royally peeved off with the Reid situation.

Was told by Moyes that he's not wanted so paid off a percentage of his contract and then finds the club in desperate need for a centre back.

That conversation between Moyes and Sulli must have been difficult, in fact I suspect one that Moyes didnt want to have, at all!!
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Not sure internally it's viewed as a desperate situation at all otherwise we would have landed someone.

Winny isn't capable of premier league football IMHO
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Or use alese or krall or johnson? Other clubs often have to use makeshift defenders, they normally manage for a game or two. To be honest I think I'd rather try one of them than Diop.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

That's the thing; there are workarounds at CB and CF. They might mean rebalancing the set up, changing the formation etc...but things can be done.

Would a moderate calibre CF or CB be good enough to elevate us to top 4?
Will we fall so far that we will be out of the european places (assumed top 7) by the end of the season without them?

I am a bit surprised we didn't obtain some insurance against slippage but understand the thinking against it.

The longer term view must be;

a. Retain the young and peak age players that we are happy with;
b. Focus on succession planning the older players, or upgrading the sub-standard starters;
c. Prioritise those where both age and quality are a concern;

If we recruit to the starting XI we simultaneously strengthen the team and the bench because the former starter becomes the back up, and the former bench player departs;

Ultimately, the consistent application of that standard should leave resources to focus on buying fewer, higher standard, ready set players, or focusing on developing the youth set up.

No middle ground bulk buying that just keeps you chugging along in midtable mediocrity.

(Ogbonna to Lazio ?)