January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Long Shot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 pm We signed anyone yet?
Talks are ongoing with Bernie Slaven.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

There was one success of the January window for me - that we didn’t sign Sam Johnstone.

Hopefully the summer window will be equally successful in that respect.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Anyone else still in a mood?
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Georgee Paris wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:51 pm Anyone else still in a mood?
Just you wait until the giant killing and/or major injury to a key player this weekend
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

D C wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:55 pm Just you wait until the giant killing and/or major injury to a key player this weekend
We will beat Kidderminster one way or the other, but it's the injuries I'm worried about. Our 3 centre backs need to be wrapped up in cotton wall for the rest of the season now.
Last edited by paulhs1 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

We’ll need less players next year without Europe 😉
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

mushy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:13 pm As a former data analyst you must realise that this is complete bloody nonsense.
Newman will have his own personal data on everyone.
Is he a megamind of information? No.

But for the sake of you calling me out, explain to me how it's nonsense.
MB wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:38 pm Not unless Man City hire really bad lawyers. Any work product will belong to the club.

Only we are stupid enough not to put that in contracts!
I want him to explain to me how Rob Newman has a personal data set he's smuggled out of Man City (which will end up with him in big trouble like you said) or in his mind.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Mullhull wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:14 pm
I want him to explain to me how Rob Newman has a personal data set he's smuggled out of Man City (which will end up with him in big trouble like you said) or in his mind.
not having a dig but........

wouldn't matter what info Newman might have smuggled out with him.

it's irrelevant to us.

South American striker/am 19M and lend him back to the club they bought him from ?

yeah that's us..

that probably told him to take whatever he wanted, it's completely useless to us.

KDB 70M
Cancelao 70M
Grealish 100M
Diaz 60M
Ederson 60M

(all ball park figures but not far out)

etc. etc.

chuffin' Nora the lads who did the January transfer possibles on here would be just as good

at least they were in the monetary guidelines or if not, they said why not.

we're not shopping at the same shop as them......
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm The announcement of Jesse and Tarkowski very early on in the summer would take the pressure off and also set the right tone.

May also help with the Rice/Bowen situation.
If Rice leaves,there will be no Jessie.
Northbank Bar
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by Northbank Bar »

Reading the spin that claret and Hugh are putting out is mind boggling.Think the fans are seeing through it all now.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:05 pm 1) Martin ain't no replacement for Areola, sorry but no chance
2) the jury is still out on Kral - the blokes played 1 minute of league football to date!
3) if we have Johnson, Cresswell and Vlad thats 3 full backs with Masuaku as the left back behind Cresswell and we all know thats unsustainable

Theres plenty of holes there and with a potential 55+ game season you're suggesting a smaller squad then we have now which is a recipe for disaster
We would be better off bringing Phil Parkes back,than Martin and his 70. :winker:
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Moyse comments seem to be more to try and galvanise the team rather than address the failings of getting in new playing staff.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

This will be a huge summer for us. We probably could use about 7 players but can’t see us getting more than 4 or 5.
Moyes/Martin have signed Nevers, Ekwah, Oko-Flex, Marshall and others to have players to bring up to the first team if not as immediate starters then as squad players. Our U23s are top of the PL2 for a reason. Ashby looks likely to replace Fredericks, and Oko-Flex looks ready for the first team, replacing Yarmolenko. Alese can’t be far away, and Baptiste not far behind him. Coventry looks to me at least as capable as what Kral has shown, so I think he will take one of the spots vacated by Noble and Kral. Back filling with U23s covers 2 to 4 places.
The pressing needs remain LB, LCB, CM and CF. One or two frees and 2 or 3 key signings. The hardest is of course CF.

If I had to guess, I would say there are less than 20 teams in the world who can spend > £50M on a player.

This summer I think there will be 8 strikers who are likely to have around £50M moves (or more). Haaland, Isak, Adeyemi, David, Calvert Lewin, Nunez, Schick, and En-Nesyri. On top of that Mbappe, Dybala, Dembele, Belotti and Lacazette will move on free transfers. Of the 20 or less, I don’t think Real or Juve will buy one as Juve just bought Vlahovic and Real will sign Mbappe. I don’t think Liverpool will buy one as they just signed Diaz and will spend their money on Salah’s new contract, and are more keen on a midfielder. I don’t think Chelsea will sign a striker unless they sell one of Werner ( no chance), Lukaku or Broja throwing another high profile striker on the market. Barca won’t sign a striker without selling Memphis Depay. Tottenham want a striker, Arsenal want 2, Man U may want one, Citeh don’t play with one and just signed Alvarez, but would take Haaland. PSG will need one, but may put Icardi up for sale if they sign one. Atletico can’t sign one without selling Griezman or Morata.
The point I’m making is, I think there will be enough top end strikers to go around for us, but we have to be prepared to pay up and not balls it up. Few if any are proven in the premier league, but you are rarely if ever going to get that. The slogan for the owners and manager should be “Pay up! Not Balls up”
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Heysel76 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:43 pm But you couldn't resist just a little peek! :rofl:
Not a sneaky peek. I can't believe there are now 816+ pages (even after the window is shut) on a January transfer window where literally nothing has happened.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Peaches I kinda blame you every window for making hammerman 2.0 lists every window and getting me excited about players we're bringing in!
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 pm not having a dig but........
Don't see that as a dig at all. You're right, they were targets identified which fit Manchester City, he has a different job with us. Completely agree.

It's the mindset some people think he's walking around with a filofax of names. He doesn't sit there just on his tod reeling through YouTube highlights of the next wonderkids or sensations. It's a different ball game now, like I said Brentford are applying the 'Moneyball' approach, which I don't think Newman was brought in to do.

Summer will bear the fruits of his teams labour, I'm pretty positive about that.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

D C wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:55 pm Just you wait until the giant killing and/or major injury to a key player this weekend
Antonio In Bizarre Garden Accident Shocker
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I have a feeling one of the tasks for Newman would be to also scout for younger players for the u23s who have the potential to progress into the first team squad in under 3 seasons. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he even had something to do with some of the ones we brought in last summer. Unofficially obviously as he was on gardening leave at the time. So don’t be too surprised if we look to do that for 1-2 positions as a way to save money, but to get ready to replace a starting player eventually. For example, a young left back to replace Cresswell over time. Moyes has form for this. See Seamus Coleman and John Stones.

Moyes said after his first summer window: “I’d rather work with a small squad than a big squad. It’s always easy to bring somebody out of the Academy when there are spaces, and I’ve always wanted to have a Club where those young boys feel there’s a chance to breakthrough.” That’ll be the case for 1-2 of our youngsters this summer. If Fredericks leaves, is Ashby good enough to replace his spot in the squad, for example. Is Coventry good enough to now be on our bench as a replacement for Noble. Is Okoflex good enough to take Yarmolenko’s place etc.

Moyes does like to target versatile players too. That’s another reason why I think they’ll be no more than 5 new players. I have a feeling he’ll target a left footed centre half, who can cover at left back. So Ogbonna & Cresswell have adequate cover, but at the same time it’ll keep the squad small, so all the players will feel like they have a chance of playing. I can see links to Dávid Hancko having legs.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:51 pm Kral is the Noble replacement, left back probably can be delayed a year as much as I'd like an upgrade.

Areola
Kral
Lingard
CB
Striker

That'll be our lot.
Come on Bubbs, you're a good poster, you know the situation

Cresswell and Coufal are injury prone, Oggy, Fabianski & Dawson getting past it, so all of those will need a decent back up or even replacing. Oh wait sorry, we don't do back ups we only do upgrades. So with Nobes, Fredericks, Yarmolenko, and maybe Fredericks, Masuaku, Diop, Kral & Areola on their bikes plus 2 strikers, I make that 15 potentially needed throughout next season. Like I said it will probably end up being 7 or 8 FIRST team players required because 'we only do upgrades not back ups'. And because we only do upgrades not back ups, we can't play any of the U23s. Utter nonsense.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:42 am I make that 15 potentially needed throughout next season. Like I said it will probably end up being 7 or 8 FIRST team players required because 'we only do upgrades not back ups'.
You’re an optimist. What we NEED and what we get will be, as usual, two different things.

Maybe if we’d have got 3 in this window and 4 in the summer but there’s no way we’re getting close to 7 or above.