January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:42 am Come on Bubbs, you're a good poster, you know the situation

Cresswell and Coufal are injury prone, Oggy, Fabianski & Dawson getting past it, so all of those will need a decent back up or even replacing. Oh wait sorry, we don't do back ups we only do upgrades. So with Nobes, Fredericks, Yarmolenko, and maybe Fredericks, Masuaku, Diop, Kral & Areola on their bikes plus 2 strikers, I make that 15 potentially needed throughout next season. Like I said it will probably end up being 7 or 8 FIRST team players required because 'we only do upgrades not back ups'. And because we only do upgrades not back ups, we can't play any of the U23s. Utter nonsense.
Coufal is hardly injury prone, but has Johnson and Ashby backing him up.
Cresswell has Masuaku and Johnson. Not ideal, but not desperate.

Ogbonna, Fabianski and Dawson are back up, a new CB plays alongside Zouma and Areola is permanent.

Noble is replaced by Kral or another, Fredericks by Ashby from within, Diop by a new CB, Areola stays, Yarmolenko replaced by Lingard or a new signing.

A new striker pushes Antonio onto the bench (why on Earth would we need two?)

In an ideal world we'd sign upgrades everywhere, we can't afford that.

Areola/Fabianski
Coufal CB Zouma Cresswell
Soucek Rice
Bowen Fornals Lingard
Striker

Fabianski, Johnson, Ogbonna, Dawson, Kral, Benrahma, Antonio, Ashby, Masuaku

Is probably something close to our general match day 18.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:32 pm There are a few posters in this thread I’m happy are not in charge of transfers. We’d end up with about 8 players :lol:
And if others were in charge we’d have 48 by the time they’ve bought a back up for the back up’s back up.

The need is somewhere in the middle, but I’d rather compromise depth over quality.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

MB wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:02 am And if others were in charge we’d have 48 by the time they’ve bought a back up for the back up’s back up.

The need is somewhere in the middle, but I’d rather compromise depth over quality.
Which would in turn, get fans backs up
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm genuinely surprised we didn't make one last minute, desperate approach for Jermaine Defoe
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Stating that we need a bare minimum of 4 new players doesnt mean you think the current squad is totally inadequate and that we need wholesale changes. For me its because we are short on squad depth and we need upgrades in some areas.

Making these changes is how a Moyes side and all great teams evolve.

We need:

Upgrade on Kral/Noble
Upgrade af Left back (Masuaku isn't a left back)
Yarmo replacement/upgrade
Forward (we need competition for Antonio)
Upgrade on Diop
Long term upgrade for Ogbonna

I get that Moyes prefers a small squad but our squad is already small considering weve played 55+ games and if were playing european football again next season then we will need a good sized, quality squad.

I think we need a bare minimum of 4, absolute minimum.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:51 am Coufal is hardly injury prone, but has Johnson and Ashby backing him up.

Ogbonna, Fabianski and Dawson are back up, a new CB plays alongside Zouma and Areola is permanent.

Noble is replaced by Kral or another, Fredericks by Ashby from within, Diop by a new CB, Areola stays, Yarmolenko replaced by Lingard or a new signing.

Areola/Fabianski
Soucek Rice
Bowen Fornals Lingard
Striker

Not bad that, and I haven't read many preceding posts, so my answer may be there somewhere.

But.... Where's Lanzini ??
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Billy Hunt wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:42 am Not bad that, and I haven't read many preceding posts, so my answer may be there somewhere.

But.... Where's Lanzini ??
I'd just forgotten about him! :lol:

Add him to the bench in place of Ashby!
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:51 am
Soucek Rice
Bowen Fornals Lingard
Striker

It's not about them just being backup to the first 11.
We need a squad to rotate and the back up players need to atleast ok for a run in the team. Not last resort.

Masuaku and Kral are not good enough. LB us desperate.
Also that bench has 5 defenders and a DM.

We need 4 good "starters" then we are pretty much done imo.
LB (Wijndal)
LCB (Aguerd)
CM (Phillips)
CF (Nunez)

Obviously we won't get those 4 but that calibre
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:41 pm The poster said 7 - 8. 6-7 is equally ridiculous. If we are buying quality to go straight in to the first team who you going to drop?
Keeper? We have Fabianski and Areola. Centre Back? Agreed, then we have Zouma, Dawson, ANO, Ogbonna, Diop, Baptiste, Alves? Centre mid? We have RIce, Soucek, Kral, Lanzini. Forward? Agree, but another starters? Who you gonna drop? Moyes is cautious, not reckless.
It isn’t ridiculous, moyes can spout what he wants about only buying first teamers, if he says it enough he might start to believe it. We don’t have Areola though do we? And if we sign him he will come from the budget available no?. We need a starting Left Back & Centre Back. A better back up that Noble (should be easy). And then obviously a starting forward with ideally a decent alternative. I make that 3 starters needed, 4 if you include Areola. The other 2/3 players have to be adequate back up.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2355 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Left back situation is really not 'desperate'. It can be improved but is far from desperate

Whatever people think of Masuaku, there is hardly any difference in goals conceded or points accrued when he plays vs Cresswell. We were very solid second half vs Chelsea with him at LB...and that was with Dawson and Diop - and we have beaten a number of top sides over the years with him there

Having Cresswell, Masuaku and Johnson as LB options is not 'desperate'

The CB and CM situation is more of a concern IMHO, although i still think Noble and Kral could be used more than they are being
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:15 am Which would in turn, get fans backs up
So you’d rather three signings at £10m each who all start on the bench than one £30m signing who goes into the starting XI?

I know we’ve ended up with none, but I’d hold out for the £30m player rather than spend the money “to appease the fans”

Now if the right three players were available at £10m each who would push for a first team place then that is a different proposition but none of the names mentioned on here or who have moved this window fit that criteria for me.

The standard needs to be more than “better than the current back up option”. Been there, done that and didn’t buy the Nordtveit T-shirt.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:21 pm It's not nonsense. You're suggesting that the most we need is 4 players, where on earth do you get that number from???

Noble - Retiring
Yarmolenko - Contract expires
Fredericks - Contract expires
Forward - We've needed for three transfer windows
Left back - We've needed cover to the ageing Cresswell for ages
Centre back - Ogbonna replacement/understudy
Centre back - To replace Diop who has one year on his contract and I think will be sold
Masuaku - Should be sold

That's 8, double what you've stated before we discuss if were keeping Areola and Kral
It's nonsense because we don't need to replace our third choice RB (Fredericks) or seventh (or whatever) choice attacker (Yarmolenko), and there's no way we'll have five senior CBs on our books so we won't be signing two of them this summer even if we sold Diop, plus you're double counting replacing Masuaku (sold) and signing a back up for Cresswell.

So a central midfielder to cover Noble retiring, a centre forward, a centre back, and a left back is all that's left from your list. Taking out the ones in your list that we just flat out don't need to replace, or are double counting, you're saying we need four in.

Like I said, personally I think LB is preferable but not essential, if we can get a young one (Lee Buchanan was linked this window). GK, CB, CM, CF are definitely the four transfers I see as key. So at most, I'd say five new faces in - a couple of which will be back ups/rotation (CM, LB - maybe CB initially) and a couple of which will be starters (GK, CF - maybe CB).

Areola signing on a permanent is just a no brainer, in my opinion. We should try and activate that clause now just to get it done, I believe we can do it outside of the window in this case.

Anyway, the nonsense bit was about budget - if we can be shrewd with moves for Areola and one free agent (I'd like this to be Kamara, but I just can't see it happening - we must have a hope, though), we should spend £15m on a couple of positions that we have an urgent need between transfer and signing on fees. Couple more of our targets through the door - I reckon somewhere between £60m and £70m would do it, and you might add in funds from the sale of Diop and Masuaku if they have takers.
Last edited by YorksHammer on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:15 am Which would in turn, get fans backs up
And play right in to Sullivan's argument that the fans know nothing... and that he knows best.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 am Image
Wait, you're still allowed here?

Thank God. I thought I was just going to have to spend the summer putting up with lists and panicking with no funny gifs.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

S-H wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:16 am Image
Lock the thread....what.....were just getting warmed up :lol:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

hammerman just got out his spare thumbs...
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:51 am Coufal is hardly injury prone, but has Johnson and Ashby backing him up.

Areola/Fabianski
Soucek Rice
Bowen Fornals Lingard
Striker

I don't disagree and it all makes sense but we will still be scratching around for a team from a threadbare squad again as if we are trying to avoid relegation on a budget. We are in a relatively successful team in Europe and should be attracting/buying decent players to not only maintain that but to push on. We have to show ambition and get out of this bargain basement mentality we seem to wallow in. I admire Moyes sentiment of wanting to bring in quality/upgrades but that is only viable if we have the comfort of decent squad, not a bare over worked, over aged first team and rag tag reserves. And I'm not saying we should just get anyone in, 18 months to get a striker is just unacceptable. We are nowhere near it yet and do not have the luxury of time to build such a squad at the transfer pace Moyes is working, in the time we may have at this level. If we drop out of Europe and consequently lose Rice and/or Bowen, we are going to be back where we were 3 years ago with a mountain to climb and an even worse squad. It was vital to add players this window and should have wrapped up a couple early on, not waiting for bargains. If we had got 2 or 3, then getting 4 or 5 in the summer is realistic and we could be flying but now to stay around the big boys with a decent squad, not just a good team, we have to get in 7 or 8 which is nigh on impossible.
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Moyes’ press’s conference:

Do you accept it is a bit of a risk to carry on with one striker? Or is this you sticking to your guns of your policy of not just getting one in to have [extra bodies]?

There was no intention of taking any risk, I wouldn't use the word risk because we have other people who can play there.

We were always trying to add to what we thought we could do. It would hard to get better than Jarrod if we're talking about another striker.

I didn't just want backup, I wanted real competition. I could have easily gone out and bought backup, easily. I wanted people who were actually going to take other people's jerseys and challenge them.

Moyes on Board support:

I can only tell you the board were terrific through the January window and they have been since I have been here. They have supported us greatly and made funds available and we tried to use the money as best we could but we just could not get a couple of players I really liked so I would rather save the money than waste it.

Jesse Lingard in the summer?

I don't know, we will see.

Deals close to being done:

We certainly did [get close to deals] but for different reasons it didn't quite happen.

Kalvin Phillips, Raphina and Darwin Nunez were mentioned in the last few days is that the level you have to try to pitch at for your group because it is so strong and could you revisit the targets in the summer?

I'd never tell you my targets because that would be wrong even the names you are mentioning I could not guarantee if you were correct or not, but what I do want to do is be ambitious here at West Ham, I want to bring in good players and I want to add to what I think is a relly good squad, we are building on it. Sometimes, getting things you actually want, you have to wait a little bit longer. We were not able to get it this January window. But I think it was quite obvious to most clubs, as I said I think it was nine clubs who didn't do any business in January, so it should be no surprise to a lot of people that we were one but we did try very hard I have to say.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-u ... e-22982974
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Why we are pinning hopes on Lingard and Tarkowski in the summer is beyond me. Both will be 30 and therefore neither will fit the brief. Their ship has sailed.
Last edited by Hamburger on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.