January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We wouldn't come close to spending the £200m we got for them, and I also don't think we would come close to replacing their importance and effect on the team, particularly Dec. But that's something that will be an inevitable problem no matter what if we do sell him.

In my mind, our best course of action is to try and avoid the need to sell them by making the right, strong signings in this window and the next to show them (mostly Dec) that we are serious in our ambitions and attempt to match his.

That's another reason why this season is more important than others in recent history. We aren't playing for the sake of it like most years with a bang average set of players, we are playing to try and win a European competition and actually have a world-class player and one or two other top quality ones that we need to continue to give reasons to want to stay here.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 pm I watched Longelo in the EL too, thought he did well. I also thought he had the easiest job of all four of the young defence as he basically got to play as a winger.

I didn't see anything that would make me think the coaches who know him would be making a mistake to let him go.
In the past 50 years, I can think of just one youngster erroneously released by WH that forged a top class career elsewhere. Ray Houghton.
Coaches pretty much know who will and won5 make the grade.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Aceface wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:21 pm The thing with signing someone like Buchanan is, if his club wasn't in dire straits would we even be looking at him? Seems a wrongheaded way of going about recruitment.

Part of the business.
Spurs also took the young gem Alfie Devine and Leeds the young hotshot Joe Gelhardt, both from Wigan, when the Latics were in Administration last season.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm In the past 50 years, I can think of just one youngster erroneously released by WH that forged a top class career elsewhere. Ray Houghton.
The Houghton stuff was before my time but I do just about remember him being a top player at Liverpool when I was a kid. I've always wondered how we ended up letting him go, whether he was released or poached.

Matt Holland had a very decent career at Ipswich after being released by us.
The Green Man
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by The Green Man »

Diangana got a hamstring / thigh muscle injury that he got rushed back from for West Brom and broke down again from which completely ruined him as a player if you speak to any West Brom fan our management were fuming about it apparently.. He wasn't the same after that. I wish we had just kept him and played him into the team personally.

He then lost confidence on top of that after we sold him permanently right at the end of the window. Playing for a poor West Brom side and got dropped and never recovered fully, then Big Sam came in and that was the end of him. He's started getting back in their side this season but doesn't look the same player. In the pre-season before we sold him he looked like our best player at times.

Think if he'd stayed at West Ham we'd have seen a real player. Only have to look at Lingard, ***** at Man Utd for years, looked like Messi for us. Diangana never wanted to leave either and had been here his entire life, so who knows if he really performed to his best for West Brom.

Some of the things he can do with a ball are ridiculous. His first 18 games for West Brom prior to injury, (which he was a sub for in 3 of them) he got 10 G/A and he was just 21 then. Had he not got injured who knows. He was also really good in most of his games for us prior to going on loan in the Prem too. Remember him looking a little raw but he had end product on top of the flair.

Alongside Dean Ashton one of the biggest 'what could have beens' for me as a West Ham fan.

Last edited by The Green Man on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:07 pm Diangana got an awful hamstring injury that he got rushed back from which completely ruined him as a player if you speak to any West Brom fan.

He then lost confidence on top of that and got dropped.

Think if he'd stayed at West Ham we'd have seen a real player. Only have to look at Lingard, ***** at Man Utd for years, looked like Messi for us. Diangana never wanted to leave either.
Yeah, I was gutted when he left.

Hope he can forge a decent career for himself, at West Brom or elsewhere.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Liked duagana but benrahma is a better player , so the club dud well yo shift him fir 20m

Longello looked good and I am surprised he has gotten minutes but perhaps he can't defend and useless in training
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I was gutted when he left, was convinced he'd be a star for us.

But in hindsight, he just doesn't stand up to Benrahma at all. Even when they were both in the Championship during Diangana's standout loan spell Benrahma scored twice as many.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:37 pm We can’t even spend 2 million at the moment - what hope would we have of spending 200?
Not much, which is my point. Forget the actual numbers and whether or not 200 mill is right, say it’s 175 mill or whatever. That amount is all well and good to have, but how much would we actually be able to improve the team with it if we weren’t in Europe?

Extreme example, but if we got 8 brand new 20-25 mill players, overall that might improve the squad but it wouldn’t do anything in terms of keeping us competitive for Europe/top 4. We’d need to be able to buy top class players who would be more expensive, and those names wouldn’t come here without us being a big name, or in European competition.

I don’t want us to sell Rice and Bowen. In the end however, we will be in a much better position not only to keep them, but also to replace them if we have to, if we finish this season strongly, which is why smart investment, if possible in this window, could be important
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm In the past 50 years, I can think of just one youngster erroneously released by WH that forged a top class career elsewhere. Ray Houghton.
Not West Ham but it always make me smile when I remember Jose Mourinho sold Salah and KDB.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:23 pm I was gutted when he left, was convinced he'd be a star for us.

But in hindsight, he just doesn't stand up to Benrahma at all. Even when they were both in the Championship during Diangana's standout loan spell Benrahma scored twice as many.
Benrahma has come good for us for sure, but he's also 3 years older and scored one goal in his entire debut season after taking an absolute shedload (35) of shots. Not saying Diangana is a better player now as obviously that's not the case. However had it not been for being rushed back from an injury on loan I think Diangana would have been comparable if not better for us, 3 years younger and an English player which would have made him even more valuable. Especially considering that under Moyes all our wingers/AMs all round games have improved, looking at Fornals, Vlasic, Lanzini and Benrahma.
Joffrey
Has liked: 110 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Joffrey »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:06 pm I watched Longelo in the EL too, thought he did well. I also thought he had the easiest job of all four of the young defence as he basically got to play as a winger.

I didn't see anything that would make me think the coaches who know him would be making a mistake to let him go.
Well you can only play who you are up against and he performed well. Very impressive.

I think the point is that if we were to sell him now we would get a very low fee. Why not send him on loan to see how he performs, the eventual fee won’t be much lower if he struggles and he could turn out to be a really good player giving us a higher selling fee or a player to add to the senior squad.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

West Ham bids of €8m and €10m declined for Argentinian striker Valentin Castellanos.

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/calcio- ... te-1636202
S-H

Post by S-H »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:44 pm West Ham bids of €8m and €10m declined for Argentinian striker Valentin Castellanos.

This has got Newmans fingerprints all over it.
The Green Man

Post by The Green Man »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:44 pm West Ham bids of €8m and €10m declined for Argentinian striker Valentin Castellanos.

The header says West Ham have made two bids, the actual text in the story says Newcastle have made two bids.

One of the interns getting a go at making up a news story I'd of thought. :crylol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Man City connection with Newman, but only 2 appearances for Argentina u-23's in 2019 friendlies and as Wiki doesn't give his passport details, wonder would he get a work permit ?

would seem to be a bit of a reach.
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Green Man wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 pm The header says West Ham have made two bids, the actual text in the story says Newcastle have made two bids.

One of the interns getting a go at making up a news story I'd of thought. :crylol:
:D
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Is he what we need now. Might be good next season but we need it now
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Moyes got Donovan on loan from the MLS in a jan window didn’t he? Might be an interesting loan to buy, they don’t need the money and he can apparently play on the wing which is the sort of striker i expect us to sign
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 pm Man City connection with Newman, but only 2 appearances for Argentina u-23's in 2019 friendlies and as Wiki doesn't give his passport details, wonder would he get a work permit ?

would seem to be a bit of a reach.
He would I think

MLS is a band 3 competition = 8 points
Team won the league = 4 points
Minutes played must be 80%+ = 7 points

That's 19 against the requirement of 15, if I've understood it right, with another three categories to be scored.

Anyone who plays regularly in a half decent top flight league can pretty much get a work permit now. It's the second division clubs and the poor leagues that don't. Much easier to sign a Brazillian or Argentinian, harder to get Latvian, Slovakian, Lithuanian etc from the local leagues.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.