January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by stu1 »

HammerAl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm We’ve just had it so many times in the past where we’ve been given false hope. I’d much rather hear absolutely nothing until we’ve signed a player. Moyes and Sullivan both seem to do more business later in the window, so wouldn’t expect any news until next week. Really hoping they’ll pull some good signings out the bag :newthumb:
Yep, the difference between now and a couple years ago is that Sullivan has shut up. Admittedly Moyes does like to keep his cards close to his chest but if we were close there would be leaks from agents etc.

You're right about them both liking to be active at the end of a transfer window. The problem I see with this is if we want to sign a player who is crucial to another team, then they won't be able to get a replacement. That will likely leave us looking at players such as Lingard who is surplus to requirements.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

chalks wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:34 pm Last Sunday was all about the terrible display of Diop

Central midfield is not a position we need to strengthen in
We need better cover/competition than we have - which is basically non-existent. Central midfield on Sunday was atrocious and the only starter who was missing was Soucek.

If Leeds can do that to us, so can at least a dozen others in the PL.

Leeds have lost every single game to top 7 clubs this season. Until then. That's how bad a result it was.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:44 pm We need better cover/competition than we have - which is basically non-existent. Central midfield on Sunday was atrocious and the only starter who was missing was Soucek.

Leeds have lost every single game to top 7 clubs this season. Until then. That's how bad a result it was.
I'm not sure. Leeds play a unique style. Also, its not like we have lost to Leeds on anything like a regular basis.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

szola wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:38 pm You can argue about Moyes tactics and game management
Can you really though? Top four, good cup runs and European football after Christmas. People need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Some of the knee-jerking is embarrassing.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:29 pm :shocker:

Things must be bad. This is the hammerman11 equivalent of going on hunger strike.
Nah, he does it every window.

Then is back with a list the next day.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4742 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:44 pm We need better cover/competition than we have - which is basically non-existent. Central midfield on Sunday was atrocious and the only starter who was missing was Soucek.

I agree, but we have other priorities.

We need a first team centreback and a first team striker. Back up CM is lesser.

Regardless of how good/bad Kral is, he probably would've been a better fit in midfield on Sunday, that's on Moyes. Same happened last season, Lanzini played really well against Burnley deeper, then didn't the week after against Everton.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:48 pm Can you really though? Top four, good cup runs and European football after Christmas. People need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Some of the knee-jerking is embarrassing.
Not really knee jerking. Moyes has been a breath of fresh air, and has us firmly on the up. Doesnt mean he is immune from criticism when he gets it wrong. I think he got it wrong Sunday (and Im surprised he did nothing to change it).
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:46 pm I'm not sure. Leeds play a unique style. Also, its not like we have lost to Leeds on anything like a regular basis.
Yet we did this time. And were fortunate that it was only one.

It was like watching old West Ham. Wide open at the back, porous in midfield, physically overwhelmed in spells.

Some of that was Moyes' selection on the day, some of it is the failure to acquire trusted, good quality cover for Soucek and Rice.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

honkytonk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:57 pm Not really knee jerking. Moyes has been a breath of fresh air, and has us firmly on the up. Doesnt mean he is immune from criticism when he gets it wrong. I think he got it wrong Sunday (and Im surprised he did nothing to change it).
Of course, but it was a cracking match we should have gotten something out of. He made early substitutions, changed the shape and even gave a youngster a runout. There is no point in letting unreasonable expectations taking our focus away from the more serious business of overhauling the squad for long-term success.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:59 pm Yet we did this time. And were fortunate that it was only one.

It was like watching old West Ham. Wide open at the back, porous in midfield, physically overwhelmed in spells.

Some of that was Moyes' selection on the day, some of it is the failure to acquire trusted, good quality cover for Soucek and Rice.
I dunno. For me the biggest issue was the dreadful defence. We never lose that game with Oggy and Zouma at the back. Hell, even just Zouma would have made the difference I reckon.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 315 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

If Moyes, and only he knows this, doesn't think Kral is good enough, then another defensive midfield player is needed as cover imo, I have thought in the few games where we have seemed leggy, that Kral's energy might benefit us, thought he should have came on ht Sunday, we were getting a chasing
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm Of course, but it was a cracking match we should have gotten something out of. He made early substitutions, changed the shape and even gave a youngster a runout. There is no point in letting unreasonable expectations taking our focus away from the more serious business of overhauling the squad for long-term success.
......... and then moaned to the media that he had to keep Antonio on even though he knew je was knackered and ineffective, after failing to sign a decent CF in 2 years.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1516 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I would imagine, were the need there, he would cover the deficiency by going three at the back again.

He should have done that or brought Kral on on Sunday.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:02 pm If Moyes, and only he knows this, doesn't think Kral is good enough, then another defensive midfield player is needed as cover imo, I have thought in the few games where we have seemed leggy, that Kral's energy might benefit us, thought he should have came on ht Sunday, we were getting a chasing
It's why he keeps bringing Masuaku on. He doesn't trust his central midfield bench options to do a bit of defending/tightening up, so he brings on a sort of full back to double up and hope that does the job instead.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:59 pm Yet we did this time. And were fortunate that it was only one.

They rang rings around us in midfield. We really missed Soucek in that game.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:06 pm I would imagine, were the need there, he would cover the deficiency by going three at the back again.

He should have done that or brought Kral on on Sunday.
Kral is clearly not good enough or he probably would have started the game let alone come in as a sub.
Southminster Hammer

bubbles1966 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:08 pm It's why he keeps bringing Masuaku on. He doesn't trust his central midfield bench options to do a bit of defending/tightening up, so he brings on a sort of full back to double up and hope that does the job instead.
Peak Alex Song would be perfect for us, he never seemed to give the ball away, and eased the pressure no matter how good the opponents were, getting someone like him in the near future would be dreamland.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm Of course, but it was a cracking match we should have gotten something out of. He made early substitutions, changed the shape and even gave a youngster a runout. There is no point in letting unreasonable expectations taking our focus away from the more serious business of overhauling the squad for long-term success.
I get where you are coming from, but tbh I dont think its unreasonable to expect us to beat Leeds at the moment!!! That game was there for the taking on Sunday. We had a huge issue in the midfield, and despite the subs Moyes didnt react to it. Im just surprised that he/the coaching set up could not see it (or if they did, did not change it). Im not gonna get all doom and gloom about it but that could be a costly 3 points dropped for us.
Southminster Hammer

honkytonk wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:14 pm I get where you are coming from, but tbh I dont think its unreasonable to expect us to beat Leeds at the moment!!! That game was there for the taking on Sunday. We had a huge issue in the midfield, and despite the subs Moyes didnt react to it. Im just surprised that he/the coaching set up could not see it (or if they did, did not change it). Im not gonna get all doom and gloom about it but that could be a costly 3 points dropped for us.
Palace ran us ragged as well, we were very lucky to come away the win, looked so much more energetic than us, similar to Leeds
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Apparently if Kral plays a certain amount of games it triggers an automatic purchase. I have no idea how many, but I get the feeling that those will be mainly cup games now as Moyes isn't convinced. Maybe Sullivan got a ridiculously low amount of games.