January 2022 Transfer Window

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Re: January 2022 Transfer Window

Post by paulhs1 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:19 pm By your own admission Kral has played so little he may as well not be here so we've been playing with three central midfielders. Add in Lanzini and we're covered.

Our squad wouldn't be meaningfully smaller, Fredericks never plays and is replaced by Johnson, Martin is lit we really meaningless, Noble's place taken by an integrated Kral and Yarmolenko replaced by Lingard, plus another striker. In what way is our squad smaller?

Masuaku isn't a total liability, CB is a bigger priority, hence the Zouma signing and hence us chasing CBs still and not any Left Backs.
Re Kral...that's because Noble playing in the cups and a handful of league games has enabled Rice and Soucek to get that much needed rest. But as weve said all season one injury to Tomas or Rice and were in trouble, that's still the case now and will be worse if Kral cant step up, everything so far leads you to beleive that he won't, but let's see what happens in the next 5 months.

"Masuaku isnt a liability at left back"...have you watched any of the games that he's played there :lol: come on your arguing for the sake of it now.

What you're proposing is less squad numbers then we have now in a potential 55+ game season. I really shouldn't have to explain to you why this is a bad idea
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:05 pm 1) Martin ain't no replacement for Areola, sorry but no chance
2) the jury is still out on Kral - the blokes played 1 minute of league football to date!
3) if we have Johnson, Cresswell and Vlad thats 3 full backs with Masuaku as the left back behind Cresswell and we all know thats unsustainable

Theres plenty of holes there and with a potential 55+ game season you're suggesting a smaller squad then we have now which is a recipe for disaster
Think you read that the wrong way around. We go with 3 keepers not 4 and Areola replaces Martin as a permanent keeper.

Fredericks will be replaced by Johnson, who I believe needs a squad number next year, with Ashby (who will not) as the nominal 3rd RB.

We will need to add at LCB but that might lead to selling Diop so numbers even. Get someone like Kelly and he has the versatility to cover LB as well.

As for CM we will need at least one body, interesting were it to be Phillips, what this might mean for Soucek, he might not replace him but certainly could rotate with him (and Rice) in a way Kral/Noble cannot. Unless Kral improves I can see an alternative and I suspect we might see Coventry given a year around the team as 4th choice to see if he can cut it with either Kral or an alternative at 3rd choice.

We will add at least 1 AM to keep the numbers up with Yarmo leaving - that could be anyone from Lingard through to one of the youngsters at Hull and Forest unless we believe our own U23 can step up, again the coaches will know I hope.

The big issue remains replacing Antonio which will be as difficult as ever.

As for LB then it might well be Cresswell and Arthur again but so be it, unless you are the Sky 6 Rome is not built in a day and squads take time to refine and cannot be done in just one window. It is not about budget this window just gone, the window coming etc but how much do we have to spend on fees and wages this year, next year and going forward, proper planning should be season to season not window to window with a steady upgrading.

This is where the G&S boom and bust was never the right strategy as it focused the available financing far to narrowly in the save then spend model.
SiO
Has liked: 538 likes
Total likes: 292 likes

Post by SiO »

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:23 pm I bet Everton fans were delighted with their transfer buisness during the window, where as most Hammers were distraught, yet every single one of those Evertonians would give anything to be in the position we are in, would give anything for their club to be progressing in the way ours is.
Very Jerry Springer.... "Ya know, I bet the Everton fans..."... :grin:
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:26 pm Re Kral...that's because Noble playing in the cups and a handful of league games has enabled Rice and Soucek to get that much needed rest. But as weve said all season one injury to Tomas or Rice and were in trouble, that's still the case now and will be worse if Kral cant step up, everything so far leads you to beleive that he won't, but let's see what happens in the next 5 months.

"Masuaku isnt a liability at left back"...have you watched any of the games that he's played there :lol: come on your arguing for the sake of it now.

What you're proposing is less squad numbers then we have now in a potential 55+ game season. I really shouldn't have to explain to you why this is a bad idea
I've already explained multiple times that it's not less squad numbers.

Martin and Fredericks barely get a minute between them.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

SiO wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:28 pm Very Jerry Springer.... "Ya know, I bet the Everton fans..."... :grin:

Esaitch!! Esaitch!! Esaitch!!

paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:29 pm I've already explained multiple times that it's not less squad numbers.

Martin and Fredericks barely get a minute between them.
Goalkeepers aside we lose Noble, Yarmo, Fredericks and Diop and you're suggesting we bring in Lingard, CB and a forward. That's less outfield players and 2 less in the squad in total when we should have more
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Lovejoy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:00 pm 2 to 4? Have a word. We need 6-7 without anyone leaving for a start. keeper, Centre back, left back, Centre mid and 2 forwards.
The poster said 7 - 8. 6-7 is equally ridiculous. If we are buying quality to go straight in to the first team who you going to drop?
Keeper? We have Fabianski and Areola. Centre Back? Agreed, then we have Zouma, Dawson, ANO, Ogbonna, Diop, Baptiste, Alves? Centre mid? We have RIce, Soucek, Kral, Lanzini. Forward? Agree, but another starters? Who you gonna drop? Moyes is cautious, not reckless.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

People speak on squad numbers - this is, as always dictated by finances, but would you prefer the manager to operate with say 20 any of whom could be trusted to play if needed or 23 where there are serious question marks over 5 be that ability, injury or whatever.

Yes the former is the bigger risk in case of injury but likely to offer the greater reward and that is the gamble to be taken. Of course have the money/cachet of the Sky 6 and you can try to do both.

For me we have traditionally been “never mind the quality feel the width” where I feel the change with Moyes is that he, like a number of others, prefers a smaller, more focused core squad.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:53 pm What makes you think that?
Lingard will be another year older, played minimal competitive football, Moyes/Newman will have identified someone younger. Lingard would be a stop gap and we don't need those if we can get better.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:41 pm The poster said 7 - 8. 6-7 is equally ridiculous. If we are buying quality to go straight in to the first team who you going to drop?
Keeper? We have Fabianski and Areola. Centre Back? Agreed, then we have Zouma, Dawson, ANO, Ogbonna, Diop, Baptiste, Alves? Centre mid? We have RIce, Soucek, Kral, Lanzini. Forward? Agree, but another starters? Who you gonna drop? Moyes is cautious, not reckless.
Diop is likely to be sold as he will be in the last year of his contract. Also we just sold Alves. Ogbonna may not be the same player after his injury. Centre back is a problem area
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:45 pm Diop is likely to be sold as he will be in the last year of his contract. Also we just sold Alves. Ogbonna may not be the same player after his injury. Centre back is a problem area
Sorry I meant Alese not Alves. I agree about Ogbonna, but as a back up with Dawson OK. Another CB I agree makes sense, but with Baptiste and Alese coming through I think we are covered. So yes +1 CB but with the U23's coming through I think we will be covered. Diop? Who knows? However, I still struggle to make sense of 7-8 new players.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Why are people so worried about bringing in a few more players then we did last summer, I dont get it?

Crystal Palace had to bring in about 10 players in the summer due to half of their squads contracts running out and theyre arguably doing better then they were last season.

It doesnt happen every season but this summer is not your typical transfer window as we have 3-4 people definately going.

This is why we hired Rob Newman right?

Edit: just checked and looks like Palace brought in 8 last summer
Last edited by paulhs1 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I think we'll be looking for five, although might not get them. Centre back, left back, centre mid, some form of attacking midfielder, a striker.

Tarkowski/Kelly, Shaw, Lingard/Johnson/Januzaj and then some bigger money moves. Areola and Kral permanent moves make sense. And considering how little Nobes has played, Coventry may get the role.

Yarmo replaced, Fredericks just let go, possibility Diop sold. Don't think Arthur will be, but there's a chance
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:55 pm Sorry I meant Alese not Alves. I agree about Ogbonna, but as a back up with Dawson OK. Another CB I agree makes sense, but with Baptiste and Alese coming through I think we are covered. So yes +1 CB but with the U23's coming through I think we will be covered. Diop? Who knows? However, I still struggle to make sense of 7-8 new players.
It's because 3-4 players are definately leaving Diogenes, possibly 5-6 if any of Diop, Masuaku and the two loanees(Kral, Areola) are deemed surplus to requirements.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paulhs1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:58 pm It's because 3-4 players are definately leaving Diogenes, possibly 5-6 if any of Diop, Masuaku and the two loanees(Kral, Areola) are deemed surplus to requirements.
With respect, they are not definitely leaving. I agree, likely to leave are Yarmalenko and Diop. Fredricks and Masuaku? Not so sure. Areola? Probably not. We have some good youngsters coming through. Personally I really rate Longelo and Alese. Baptiste, Ashby and Okoflex look very promising. The minimum we currently need are CB and CF. Moyes will never contemplate bring in 7-8 'new' individuals/personalities that could disrupt squad harmony. This isn't necessarily what I would do, I'm just basing it on Moyes stated aims and track record.
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:11 pm With respect, they are not definitely leaving. I agree, likely to leave are Yarmalenko and Diop. Fredricks and Masuaku? Not so sure. Areola? Probably not. We have some good youngsters coming through. Personally I really rate Longelo and Alese. Baptiste, Ashby and Okoflex look very promising. The minimum we currently need are CB and CF. Moyes will never contemplate bring in 7-8 'new' individuals/personalities that could disrupt squad harmony. This isn't necessarily what I would do, I'm just basing it on Moyes stated aims and track record.
Fair enough but we brought in 4 last summer and had no outgoings I believe. Do you really think we all only bring in 2 players? I mean it will leave a lot of gaps and put a lot of faith in the kids
paulhs1

Post by paulhs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:11 pm With respect, they are not definitely leaving. I agree, likely to leave are Yarmalenko and Diop. Fredricks and Masuaku? Not so sure. Areola? Probably not. We have some good youngsters coming through. Personally I really rate Longelo and Alese. Baptiste, Ashby and Okoflex look very promising. The minimum we currently need are CB and CF. Moyes will never contemplate bring in 7-8 'new' individuals/personalities that could disrupt squad harmony. This isn't necessarily what I would do, I'm just basing it on Moyes stated aims and track record.
Noble retires remember, also yarmo and Frederick's contracts are due to run out and there is no signs of these being extended.
Also cant see how Diop stays with one year left on his contract as again no sign of us wanting to extend.

That's 4 minimum Diogenes
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:45 pm Lingard will be another year older, played minimal competitive football, Moyes/Newman will have identified someone younger. Lingard would be a stop gap and we don't need those if we can get better.
There are exceptions to every rule though. If he can raise our level enough it makes sense to bring him in. Moyes has signed old codgers on the past to great effect.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

There are a few posters in this thread I’m happy are not in charge of transfers. We’d end up with about 8 players :lol:
Long Shot
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Long Shot »

We signed anyone yet?