Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 West Ham Utd (20/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ZazaPenaltyRunup
Has liked: 1584 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Re: ⚽ Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham United: match thread

Post by ZazaPenaltyRunup »

Flat is definitely the best word to use about our performance. As mentioned, Rice + Soucek were heavily pressed, which meant the front 4 and back 6 became exceptionally isolated. Big gaps appearing were part of Wolves' game plan.

Not hard to see why Lanzini made a big difference yesterday, so good with the ball at his feet + on the turn. Can see him possibly coming in for Benrahma in the next few games. No brainer that Lingard ran riot against Wolves last year, we didn't have that electricity in our movement and it showed this time around.

Big issue for the international players isn't even necessarily the training or the games – it's the travelling. Think it takes a day for every hour outside of your usual timezone. Antonio might have got the private jet back but it's going to do sod all difference to his body being temporarily 5 hours behind UK time and then right back in again. Not easy.
Diogenes wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:59 am Not for me. I thought Wolves were quite ordinary, but we were really, really p**s poor. I quite like them as a club etc. but they are nowhere near the form of a couple of years ago. Most of their possession was in their own half and they didn't really pose a consistent threat to our defence. Personally, I thought Brentford, particularly first half, played the best football I have seen against us this term.
The problem with brentford was the ball was only in play for about 60 mins. Played well when they wanted, but spent most of the game feigning injury, delaying freekicks, throw-ins and goal kicks and ultimately being a nuisance. Did their job, which wound me up to no end.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

Sloppy game all round.

Passing off, movement off, nothing seemed to connect, nothing came off for the attacking trio of Benny, Pablo or Antonio and even Declan seemed off the pace a bit (maybe effects of the flu)........bad day at the office, move on.

The best giggle I had was Spurs fans saying they are top 4 material after one decent half of football......it's so predictably Spursy
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am Sloppy game all round.

Passing off, movement off, nothing seemed to connect, nothing came off for the attacking trio of Benny, Pablo or Antonio and even Declan seemed off the pace a bit (maybe effects of the flu)........bad day at the office, move on.

The best giggle I had was Spurs fans saying they are top 4 material after one decent half of football......it's so predictably Spursy
I'm not sure being fortunate not to go in at halftime 3-0 down to a depleted leeds makes you a contender for anything!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

S-H wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 am I guess this means we need to be envious of Wolves, again, right?
I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, full credit to Wolves, they played well, but all they did was flood the midfield and press us hard in the middle of the pitch, and then work it into the space out wide. We just seemed to have no idea how to beat the press, there was little movement off of the ball. Our players just seemed to not have the energy. I've watched their goal back a couple of times now and Samedo comes in off of their right wing and runs forwards just in front of Rice, who just seems to jog along behind him watching. The normal Declan Rice would have put on a burst of speed and got alongside him and either made a tackle, forced him wide/backwards or else otherwise made him make a pass he didn't want to make. Instead Cresswell had to come across to cover, leaving Podence unmarked outwide with the freedom to pick out Raul in the centre for the goal.

We've played and beaten plenty of teams that have tried to go 3 in the centre of midfield this season because Soucek + Rice's energy, workrate and ability has carried us through, but I think this was a game too far.
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 1966 »

Someone please comment on the Liverpool match thread again and make this nasty one go away, cheers.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

ZazaPenaltyRunup wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am The problem with brentford was the ball was only in play for about 60 mins. Played well when they wanted, but spent most of the game feigning injury, delaying freekicks, throw-ins and goal kicks and ultimately being a nuisance. Did their job, which wound me up to no end.
The ball is only in play for about 50-60 mins in a normal PL match.
(Don't look at this article from 2018 - we had the lowest ball in play average: https://talksport.com/football/315919/a ... 127263506/ )

Brentford were great in the first 20 mins, but just like Leeds, they couldn't sustain that effort for the full match. We changed things up and they were on the ropes for 65 minutes.
Unfortunately they managed to nick something at the very end - I don't think they deserved to, and I think it was a soft free kick - ref definitely wasn't giving those to us.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:03 pm The ball is only in play for about 50-60 mins in a normal PL match.
(Don't look at this article from 2018 - we had the lowest ball in play average: https://talksport.com/football/315919/a ... 127263506/ )

Brentford were great in the first 20 mins, but just like Leeds, they couldn't sustain that effort for the full match. We changed things up and they were on the ropes for 65 minutes.
Unfortunately they managed to nick something at the very end - I don't think they deserved to, and I think it was a soft free kick - ref definitely wasn't giving those to us.
The ball was in play for an absolutely pitiful 39 minutes against Brentford. I'm fully behind two 30 minute halves with the clock stopped when the ball isn't in play.