Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 West Ham Utd (20/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

IronRhino
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Re: ⚽ Wolverhampton Wanderers v West Ham United: match thread

Post by IronRhino »

WCpete wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:28 pm Yeah, I thought Zouma was playing well until he got that knock which seemed to rattle him. He lost composure after that, especially mentally. It was a little surprising to see, tbh.
I think we saw why Chelsea let him go today. He is not great at playing out, he doesn't look comfortable with the ball at his feet and that was made worse by the fact he was defending on the left side.

That said I think he adds to our team and was unlucky to have his goal ruled out. I thought Dawson struggled more today
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm I wish I hadn’t mentioned Antonio now. :)

Crap today but he’s still the dogs b*llocks.

(He’ll be getting a bill for that Gulfstream tomorrow)
I think Antonio is one of those players that suffer when he plays well and gets talked about in the press.
He stops doing what he's good at and believes that he can do things not within his capabilities.
IMO, its been going on a quite a while now. He has become selfish (looking for that solo goal), does too much with the ball and is playing with a lack of awareness (by choice). Some of this is borne out by comments in the press.
I hope he goes back to being a battering ram who uses his strengths for the good of the TEAM.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

On way back:
\
Thought our fans were flat and that massive song is annoying. A lot of then older fans seemed to hate it too
They out pressed us. Soucek, Mickey and Fornals very poor. Fab was decent

Very impressed by wolves
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm On another note, Jimenez is some centre forward isn’t he?

Could see him at Man City.
He was great as was Podence second half.

Funnily enough that was the best performance against us I’ve seen this season.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm On another note, Jimenez is some centre forward isn’t he?

Could see him at Man City.
He's brilliant, I agree.

It's remarkable, too, that he came back after what that clueless thug Luiz did to him
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3677 likes
Total likes: 2379 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

I’ve just raved about Jimenez - he is a top centre forward that would work great for Man city - but if over the last 18 months we had Jiminez leading the line for us rather than Antonio does any one really think we’d be where we currently are?

Not in a million years.

We need to stop worrying about what Antonio can’t do - sure there are other traditional strikers that are more polished at the basics - and remember what he can and does do on a regular basis. Instinctive, match winning, physically and athletically dominant performances against any standard of opposition. Goals and assists for days.

Because there’s no one similar to compare him to we end up comparing him (often negatively) to players who would actually in truth never be able to carry us to where he has.

He’s a one off and I wouldnt swap him for anyone.

Dreadful today though….. :D
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:37 pm I think Antonio is one of those players that suffer when he plays well and gets talked about in the press.
He stops doing what he's good at and believes that he can do things not within his capabilities.
IMO, its been going on a quite a while now. He has become selfish (looking for that solo goal), does too much with the ball and is playing with a lack of awareness (by choice). Some of this is borne out by comments in the press.
I hope he goes back to being a battering ram who uses his strengths for the good of the TEAM.
Yes when you have nothing to lose you tend to do things naturally but once you set the high standard you are desperate to keep to, you can overthink things, I guess it’s similar when you have a period of not scoring too, ask Harry Kane, yes at either extreme it’s the always the ever present plague for a striker I think.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

We were massive today - massively *****!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

WestSam wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:26 pm A spoonful of sugar....
Sugar puffs :rofl:
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1948 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:37 pm …its been going on a quite a while now.
So have you….
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Marky wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:44 pm On way back:
\
Thought our fans were flat and that massive song is annoying. A lot of then older fans seemed to hate it too
They out pressed us. Soucek, Mickey and Fornals very poor. Fab was decent

Very impressed by wolves
Wolves were good. No easy games in this division.
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Personally, I think that is the poorest I have seen us in 2 years. I thought Wolves were ok, but nothing special. We would have lost, playing like that, against most of the Premiership teams. 'Lacklustre' sums it up for me. Little energy, poor decision making, sloppy passing (even when not pressured).
A wake up call perhaps, but we seem to be stuck in low or middle gears. Even the games we have won, I feel that we have much more to offer. Some hard work from the coaching staff needed and perhaps a couple of changes for the next games to keep some our players on their toes.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

My take on it, we got beaten by the better team on the day, our players were under par through travelling, sickness and new babies etc....

A lot of people on here running down Antonio need to take a step back, he can't be superman every day and wasn't THAT bad.

Disapppointed with the result and our oerformance but can understand it with our small squad and Oggie missing has made a difference already.

If Zoumas goal had stood ( didn't see too much for it not to ) and Bowen found the top corner we could all be on here talking about how we won the game but probably didn't deserve to on the day, for once Mike Dean didn't rob us blind again.

We will learn from this and our players will get back to te level they were before this game again it's just that we have a small squad and it can happen.

Nothing against Ben Johnson he is a great kid but imo I would brong back Coufal as we have no danger happeneing on the right side anymore and Coufal was linking up with bowen and Soucek each game doing great things so bring him back please Moyes.

We lost, we will get over it, we will play better, we are West Ham and we will be happy hammers again soon keep the faith COYI :crest: :scarfer:
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1970 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Apparently we're not massive everywhere we go.

Lanzini has been our best performer over the last few games. Surely he's due a bit of a run.
Grammar-hammer
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Grammar-hammer »

If we lose at Man. City next week we will still be in 4th position, barring a freakish goal difference deficit turnaround by either Arsenal or Spurs. If you'd said at the start of the season we'd lose our last two games in November and still be in the top 4, I'd have laughed. Let's keep things in perspective.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Nothing to do with poor management today or tactics.
The better team won, plain and simple.
We had an off day and a performance like today is bound to happen with all the football we are playing, it’s never a bad thing for a team like us as it’s a gentle reminder that we’re not invincible.
I saw the second half and it looked like Cresswell and fab with a nice little cameo from lanzini were the only standouts.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

simon1982 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:01 pm Nothing to do with poor management today or tactics.
The better team won, plain and simple.
We had an off day and a performance like today is bound to happen with all the football we are playing, it’s never a bad thing for a team like us as it’s a gentle reminder that we’re not invincible.
I saw the second half and it looked like Cresswell and fab with a nice little cameo from lanzini were the only standouts.
Exactly as I saw it.

Wolves by far the better team, we're not going to rip it up every game. On to the next.
Ariksan
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ariksan »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:37 pm I think Antonio is one of those players that suffer when he plays well and gets talked about in the press.
Thought the same watching the game. I love Antonio but it is in situations like these it's becoming obvious that some competition for his position would be healthy - especially to keep him motivated to give his all. Which to be fair to the lad, he is mostly up for it. Perhaps he was tired from traveling. Dunno. But his performance today definitely had the feel that he had some kind of a "I'm Messi" attitude - and all of a sudden he's taking shots from outside the box.
Last edited by Ariksan on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daytonahammer
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Daytonahammer »

All wolves really did was overrun the midfield of rice and Tommy, and I'm fairly sure that will be the new meta for clubs against us. Midfield press works because we aren't as good on the break (lingard fix) and niether Tommy and Declan can't get forward. Unless we bring in Arthur and vlad or play with Lanzini in front t of the back line we will see plenty more of this. Look for pep to expose this next week if changes aren't made.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

Moyes out!