OGS gone [non WHU]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Re: OGS gone [non WHU]

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 pm

I think they should turn to Wayne Rooney

sendô
Has liked: 286 likes
Total likes: 285 likes

Post by sendô » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:59 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 pm
Oh please make it so.

Ironing Board
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Ironing Board » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:33 pm

pablo jaye wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:41 pm
As long as they are all of that school of thought!! 🤣
They still moan about him drawing with Fulham, while Ole should have lost 6-1 to Watford!

DublinDave
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by DublinDave » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:02 pm

lincolnhammer1963 wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm
Highly unlikely to attract a truly world class manager with their current squad set up.
Ronaldo may have scored some great goals, but his presence has destroyed any kind of team spirit that may have previously existed in the last two seasons.
Manchester united may not openly admit it, but Ronaldo is the main reason for there indifferent form this season.
It will take a brave manager to come in and sort out that dressing room
Roy Keane would sort that **** out... They might be playing all under 23 players after 2 weeks & Fergie & the board might top themselves though...

OFT
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by OFT » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 pm

lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 pm

Playing legends rarely replicate their status at a club as a manager.
However, I actually think Trevor brooking could have potentially been a great manager for us.

So the moral of the story is.
Retain you're status by never taking the managers job.
Frank lampard had his chance
Steven Gerard be very afraid. Of the liverpool job

Jonah
Has liked: 78 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by Jonah » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:18 pm

Its a Grand va te faire foutre from ZZ.

ChzMff
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by ChzMff » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:35 am

"Ole will reflect on it with sadness in the end but he should be proud of the work that he did in the first two or three years, I think. Rebuilding the club might be going too far but he rebuilt the soul of the club.

"The club was in a dark place at the end of the Jose Mourinho era. There were players who were there for the money, who were mercenaries. I think now at least the players are good lads, good players who need to sort themselves out because that yesterday was a shambles irrespective of the manager they have got."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... er-sacking

Am I missing something? They have just lost 5-0 at home to Liverpool, 2-0 to Man City and got battered 4-1 at newly promoted Watford yet he should be "proud" that he "rebuilt the club" from a "dark place". The geezer was abysmal.

And mercenaries? Half the problem with that team is they've got a load of players who think they're much better than they are and have an arrogance that lends itself to not feeling they need to put the hard yards in (Pogba) or they can referee the game (Fernandes). I see few likeable individuals there or leaders. And the centre of midfield is absolutely awful.

hammers92
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by hammers92 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:54 am

I think the sacking is similar to Lampard's. Had they both realised their problem and signed Rice they'd still be there imo.

Tenbury
Has liked: 87 likes
Total likes: 90 likes

Post by Tenbury » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:16 am

Manu have reaped what they've sown. Owners that care little, and, it would seem, understand even less about football, whose soul concern seems to be about monetising their 'brand'. A nodding dog (and maybe even Lawro) would realise that the that the most successful teams have the best management, but they seem to just chuck scraps to their plastic support (appoint a 'legend' as manager/sign the Preening Portugese Prick/etc, etc) to keep them quiet, all the time maximising their own returns on their 'asset'.
The whole situation warms the cockles of my ageing, somewhat malfunctioning, heart.
Long may this situation continue.

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 206 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:47 am

hammers92 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:54 am
I think the sacking is similar to Lampard's. Had they both realised their problem and signed Rice they'd still be there imo.
Lampard and Solskjaer were both bad managers put in place on their reputation as a player and managing clubs they never should have been.

Regardless of the players they did or didn't have they were just poor managers.

szola
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by szola » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:08 am

Solskjær's legacy includes 2nd & 3rd in the league, Europa League final (lost on pen) & Semi-final, 1 FA cup & 2 League cup Semi-finals

That's not too bad, to be honest.

He has also set the stage for anyone coming in with:

Henderson
Varane - Maguire - Wan-Bissaka
Tominay - van de Beek - Pogba - Fernandes
Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood

They don't need a better spine than the one they have to be able to take on anyone. Missing out on Conte was bad. Now they'll need to go for Zidane. He'll have them up and running next season.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 185 likes
Total likes: 181 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:18 am

szola wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:08 am

Henderson
Varane - Maguire - Wan-Bissaka
Tominay - van de Beek - Pogba - Fernandes
Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood

They don't need a better spine than the one they have to be able to take on anyone. Missing out on Conte was bad. Now they'll need to go for Zidane. He'll have them up and running next season.
:shock:

De Gea is a decent keeper and better than Henderson

Maguire is a club bouncer masquerading as a Prem footballer. W-B has been found out as decent (enough) defensively but poor going across the halfway line.

That midfield is a joke, surely? Who sits? wtf is McTominay doing on the right wing?

That front 3 might score 6 against Norwich or Newcastle, but would struggle to score many against the true cream of the division.

Lined up like that, they are no better than they are now and probably worse! Maguire is the elephant (with the turning point of a cruise liner) in the stadium.

hammers92
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 76 likes

Post by hammers92 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 am

Maguire isn’t a bad defender IMO. He’s great for England but that’s because he’s got Rice in front, and isn’t exposed too often.

Teams are slicing through them because Fred and McTominay have the concentration of a five year old trying to keep their colouring in between the lines.

I genuinely believe their results pick up instantly with Rice or Phillips in the team. Every top side has that guy in the middle whether it be Kante, Fabinho or Rhodri. Bonkers that they don’t think it needs upgrading on.

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 504 likes
Total likes: 816 likes

Post by S-H » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:24 am

I imagine Maguire works on a building site during the week, turns up to play on Saturday in a sh*t bound, 18 year old Ford Transit rust bucket, with his high-viz jacket on, plaster stained joggers and wearing an unlaced pair of Dickies work boots, likes to have a roll up before kick off and half time too, always gets the first round in after the game, though.
Last edited by S-H on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

hammer1975
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by hammer1975 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 am

Don’t get me wrong - OGS is/was a terrible manager

But they will continue to be four games away from a crisis until that club puts someone in charge of transfers who has the first clue about building a team rather than recruiting 11 individuals with big reputations (and sometimes going for the less glamorous name to do so).

He wasn’t actually the biggest problem imo

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 185 likes
Total likes: 181 likes

Post by prophet:marginal » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:31 am

Maguire is slow; nobody can dispute that.

Maguire is deluded into thinking that, if he emerges from the defence with the ball at his feet, he can pick a pass forward, without any worry about losing the ball and then being stranded upfield (ask yourself why Varane - the fastest or one of the fastest defenders in Europe - was brought in to partner him).

Maguire also has a very silly tendency to get involved in tacking a player with one or both of his arms on or around his opponent's shoulder or neck.

All of this happens every game. It's true that Rice and Phillips masked those problems - at least to a fair degree - over the summer, but Maguire is supposed to be the Alpha Male defender in Man United's team and they are presently posting terrible numbers in terms of goals and chances conceded.

Man United need to move on him and Pogba and should never have obtained Ronaldo.

lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:46 am

How do you solve a problem like Manu.(not that I care of course)
I'd start with asking very nicely if Mr Ferguson would stop coming to the club for a few months
I'd politely ask Mr Ronaldo if he'd be prepared to leave on a free transfer in January.
Then I'd get a hard nosed manager in who would give the rest of them a jolly good telling off for being useless.

In all seriousness Fergie's shadow is still causing issues for the club to move on.
And the Ronaldo signing was pure vanity and commercially driven.
And the three best managers in world football just happen to be at chelsea man city and Liverpool

szola

Post by szola » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:24 am

prophet:marginal wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:18 am
De Gea is a decent keeper and better than Henderson

Maguire is a club bouncer masquerading as a Prem footballer. W-B has been found out as decent (enough) defensively but poor going across the halfway line.

That midfield is a joke, surely? Who sits? wtf is McTominay doing on the right wing?

That front 3 might score 6 against Norwich or Newcastle, but would struggle to score many against the true cream of the division.

Lined up like that, they are no better than they are now and probably worse! Maguire is the elephant (with the turning point of a cruise liner) in the stadium.
I was just listing up players I think will be able to do well for them in the future.
I do believe De Gea is a bit better than Henderson, at the moment. The young lad though has shown that he has a bright future.

Maguire is a good defender. Under certain conditions. He was a key part of them performing well in many competitions. Not my favourite, although better than Bailly, Lindelöf, and good enough for the best England team for ages. WB will also continue to develop.

As I said, it was just to list up how many good players they have to build on/further develop.
They basically have a top young talent in every position (almost). That would give the next manager time/space to develop.

I see the strongest Manchester United since Ferguson. A team that several managers can use as a very good basis to mould further.

szola

Post by szola » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:28 am

hammer1975 wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:28 am
Don’t get me wrong - OGS is/was a terrible manager
The results he has had, the players he has brought in, would say something else.
He is a very good at creating a team, and his team has a potential to win the league, given a few tweaks.

Easy to forget how well he has played against ManCity, PSG and other top class teams.

If he was terrible, he would have been out the door after his first full season.