The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by southbrishammer »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:29 pm I got my resting pulse down to 46bpm earlier this morning, not far off my all time PB (43).
I don't know how accurate the heart rate measurer on my phone is, but it usually puts me in the mid 50s. After about 3 hours of sitting on the sofa it has just put me at 46bpm.

I sometimes wonder if there is any problem with it being so low - I'm reasonably healthy for a middle aged bloke, but not a fitness freak in any way.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Really struggling to sleep at the moment with COVID - I've had about 5 days in a row where I've barely had any sleep and feel like a zombie today. It's annoying because I otherwise feel fine. I'm getting some very weird symptoms and they seem to come on as soon as I go to bed. My arms and hands just go all weird. It's not neuropathy as there's no difference to the surface of the skin. No tingling like you'd get if I nerve was compressed. Instead it's like an extremely stimulated feeling but just in my arms and hands. Almost like my arms and hands are on speed but the rest of my body isn't. I end up coming downstairs and just watching TV till 3 or 4 in the morning until the feeling has calmed down.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1881 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Spent Wednesday and Thursday in Southampton General after being taken in by ambulance due to chest pain and an enzyme being slightly raised. It seems to be a mystery as to what happened, they called it "an episode" , but after an echocardiogram and angiogram the docs were happy that it wasn't another MI and no damage has been done to my heart. So that's reassuring.

I'm convinced (and was at the time) that it was indigestion, I'm still getting it but without chest pain now and don't know why it's so persistent.
Anyway I have to see the GP for a review of my meds and have been signed off work for a week, so proper celebrations will have to be postponed until then.

I will add that the treatment I received whilst in the A&E and the CCU was excellent. :heart:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

My dad is being treated for early stage prostate cancer at the moment so I thought I'd mention it to my doc as it occurred to me that I haven't had any health checks or anything since turning 40 seven years ago. She's now arranged a whole range of blood tests for me including CRP, Blood count, Ferritin, Haemoglobin, Liver function, Prostate Specific Antigen, Thyroid function, Urea, Bone profile, and Vitamin D. Quite pleased about that.

I was actually at the docs about something else though. I damaged my lower abs mid february during my first week back at the gym. At the time I was worried it was an inguinal hernia (I've already had one of these before back in 2011). I had an ultrasound where they concluded there was no hernia but it's now mid June and my ab muscle still feels a bit wrecked. Still hurts when I try and use it a lot - eg sitting up from a lying position. I asked if I could have a second ultrasound just to double check things as I really don't trust the reliability of ultrasounds. My dad had a hernia which took 2 ultrasounds and a cat scan before they actually found it. I also had my unborn child diagnosed as dead many years ago after an ultrasound. Another ultrasound a week later showed that he had miraculously come back to life. So naturally my trust isn't particularly high.

Has anyone else here had an ab injury that's taken so long to heal?

Also went about a possible UTI - I'm convinced I have one and have several classic symptoms. Apparently it's quite common for Covid to cause them - I didn't know that before now and I did get these symptoms immediately after getting Covid last week. The quick test they do at the docs came back negative but they've sent the sample away for further testing. In the meantime I'm going to try and flush the thing out because it's annoying me.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:02 am Has anyone else here had an ab injury that's taken so long to heal?

Also went about a possible UTI - I'm convinced I have one and have several classic symptoms. Apparently it's quite common for Covid to cause them - I didn't know that before now and I did get these symptoms immediately after getting Covid last week. The quick test they do at the docs came back negative but they've sent the sample away for further testing. In the meantime I'm going to try and flush the thing out because it's annoying me.
Mate, I'd be pushing for more than urine test and an ultrasound. Not trying to **** you up or anything, but an abdominal injury and UTI was what I first thought my initial symptoms were - so ignored it.

Around 6 months later, the blood came, and the rest as they say, is history.

Bladder Cancer symptoms are not promoted enough - and men have a tendency to focus on Prostate Cancer. I'm not saying that's what you have, but please, get it checked in-depth.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:55 pm Mate, I'd be pushing for more than urine test and an ultrasound. Not trying to **** you up or anything, but an abdominal injury and UTI was what I first thought my initial symptoms were - so ignored it.

Around 6 months later, the blood came, and the rest as they say, is history.

Bladder Cancer symptoms are not promoted enough - and men have a tendency to focus on Prostate Cancer. I'm not saying that's what you have, but please, get it checked in-depth.
I'm definitely keeping an eye on it - but the fact the ab injury happened immediately after stupidly attempting a load of decline sit-ups lead me to believe I've just ****ed the muscle and possibly caused a hernia. The UTI sample came back negative with the quick test done at the GPs but they've sent it away to the lab for a better check. I'll keep an eye on those symptoms and if I still think it doesn't feel right in another week, I'll book another appointment. UTI's in men caused by covid are apparently quite common and I have only had those specific symptoms since I had covid last week. I have no problem with pestering the doctor if I feel they're not taking me seriously enough.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Well the UTI symptoms cleared up pretty quickly after my last post. Just got all by results back from the array of blood tests I had done as a checkup. I was particularly interested in the PSA result as my dad is going through treatment at the moment for early stage prostate cancer. Thankfully that came back very low at 0.38. I was also interested in Vitamin D status and C-Reactive Protein levels as I've put a lot of effort in trying to ensure I have optimal vitamin D levels and low inflammation levels. I was pleased with those results - vitamin D levels were as high as they could be, and CRP very low.

What did surprise me is that apparently my tests show sub-clinical hypothyroidism and low blood count for white and red blood cells, low neutrophil cells, and on the low side of normal for haemoglobin. Doctor wants to talk through the results with me in August (long waiting list here) but I think there are certain suspects in my diet and supplementation regime that could explain these. I'll probably make some changes, and re-test a couple of months down the line. I'm also aware that these tests were done quite shortly after a COVID infection, and a suspected UTI - and I know recent infections can affect some blood tests. I don't think there's anything to worry about but it was really good to find this out.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

For the last 14 days I've:

Trained 5 nights a week - 4 x weights, 1 x stretching and mobility (which I am sadly lacking in)

Give up all chocolate.

gave up eating cookies.

Not had any alcohol.

Started breakfast with oats soaked overnight in soya milk with protein powder and creatine.

Eat only two meals a day.

Done loads of gardening so kept phyiscally active most of the day.

Started drinking water at least a litre a day.

and the end results are:

massive insommnia

Pissing like a horse at night

Shits have turned into sludge

zero loss in weight

zero loss in any measurement (waist, chest etc)

Mood fluctuations

Massive lethergy - I have to force myself to train.

No noticable difference in body shape.

I was going to do this for a month, but I'm seriously thinking "Is it all worth it?"

and if something does happen, and by some miracle I start losing weight getting toned etc does this mean I'll have to lay off the booze, sweets etc to keep this way - and keep on having to train hard 5 mights a week.

There's a part of me that thinks "NO!" and there's a bottle of wine in my fridge with my name on it.

I've resisted so far....
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Sounds like you might be missing something. Simple calories maybe? What's your second meal?
WHU Independent

BH - usually a whole slab of roasted Tofu covered in B12 Enevgeta, along with roasted asparagus, cauli, mush, tomatoes, courgette, garlic and half a tin of roasted Chick peas in a hot sauce of some descrpition.

Or some variant thereof.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:01 pm
What did surprise me is that apparently my tests show sub-clinical hypothyroidism and low blood count for white and red blood cells, low neutrophil cells, and on the low side of normal for haemoglobin. Doctor wants to talk through the results with me in August (long waiting list here) but I think there are certain suspects in my diet and supplementation regime that could explain these. I'll probably make some changes, and re-test a couple of months down the line. I'm also aware that these tests were done quite shortly after a COVID infection, and a suspected UTI - and I know recent infections can affect some blood tests. I don't think there's anything to worry about but it was really good to find this out.
Late last year went docs with a persistent cough and a weird sore on my leg. Long/ short, various tests including routine bloods carried out. White count high, red low. Xrays, scans and cameras followed plus a change of diet and exercise. All OK but repeat bloods worse. More appointments and repeat bloods which eventually came back normal. So, non the wiser but I'm sticking to the diet and exercise as best I can.

All the best
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

WHU Independent wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:49 am BH - usually a whole slab of roasted Tofu covered in B12 Enevgeta, along with roasted asparagus, cauli, mush, tomatoes, courgette, garlic and half a tin of roasted Chick peas in a hot sauce of some descrpition.

Or some variant thereof.
I wouldn't worry about your body changing shape in just 2 weeks. Takes much longer than that. As an example, I recently did the opposite and tried to gain weight. I cut down the running and added over 1000 calories to my diet, replacing the runs with heavy weight training. In a whole month, I put on just 3 pounds. As for the lethargy, if you're massively upping the exercise but eating a large calorie deficit then that might cause it, and may affect your sleep too. It's a fine balance. Over exercising in general can also cause those symptoms. As for the mushy poos... Maybe the diet is a bit overloaded in soluble fibre. It's a lot for the gut to deal with, especially with added spices. You could perhaps also include an all encompassing multi vitamin and mineral if you're planning to continue. Also try sticking the food into a site like the cronometer website and it'll tell you exactly what nutrients you're low in and how much calories you're a actually eating.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

It's been raining on and off here for a few days and we went away to Sutherland for a break recently so the grass has been neglected - after two days without rain I went down there on Wednesday - Jen was in Inverness so just me and the boy - took me exactly 3 hours this time [ has been taking 2 ] with breaks - I meant to take a drink down with me but I left it in the house -

There were 3 lads mowing next door [ Landscape firm ] so you can get the idea of how big the garden is -

I started at around 2.30 and it was 5.25 pm when I got back to the house - as I went to put the mower away [ £40 from B&Q ] I got these shooting pains going through my right thigh [ oh oh ] - when I eventually got indoors I sat down and my head went funny , couldn't see properly , I could feel the blood pumping - luckily the drink I'd left in the house was right next to me so I gulped that down - my back was in agony and I thought I was going to black out . :grin:

I might consider using Lusan Landscape in future but in truth it's great exercise - after everything had calmed down and Dan had brought me another pint of apple & elderflower I felt a lot better . Just need to pace myself and keep hydrated - the shooting pains were a worry mind .
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

On and off for the last month or so I've been waking up in the morning with a pain deep in between my shoulder blades, almost feels like where the ribs come out of the spine. Its hard to explain, feels like I'm laying on a brick and is painful laying on either side or my back. Kind of feels like a stitch and affects my breathing - like I can't get enough air in.

I get up, stretch and walk around for a bit and its gone. It doesn't correlate with doing any specific the day before. All very strange.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:05 pm On and off for the last month or so I've been waking up in the morning with a pain deep in between my shoulder blades, almost feels like where the ribs come out of the spine. Its hard to explain, feels like I'm laying on a brick and is painful laying on either side or my back. Kind of feels like a stitch and affects my breathing - like I can't get enough air in.

I get up, stretch and walk around for a bit and its gone. It doesn't correlate with doing any specific the day before. All very strange.
Could it relate to your sleeping posture?
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yeh possibly BH, nothing has changed there either from what I can tell. Fall asleep on my side, might wake up a few times to turn over but I'm not a lay on the back or front person. We have memory foam pillows, a hardish bed with foam topper and always get a good night sleep. Apart from just before Christmas when I cracked ribs I've had no problems in this bed at all (3 years old).

Maybe I'm getting too old for firm beds.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

It may be a minor muscle strain that goes away once you start moving around, but comes back once you've laid in the same position for a long time - especially if its a position that puts a bit of strain on that area. I used to have a similar issue not that long ago where I'd really feel my shoulder and side of my neck whilst sleeping but it would be barely noticeable when I was up and around during the day.
WHU Independent

It was a family members birthday at the weekend and I totally fell off the waggon. Wine, Cider and Whisky were all consumed throughout the day. I manged well because I paced myself as it was an all day event, so I didn't do anything stupid. A nap inbetween helped.

That said I've had the best two nights sleep I've had for months.

I wasted most of today though, so I am making myself train tonight to make amends.

Back on the waggon as from yesterday -lets see how it goes.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I finally started back on the weights yesterday after a year or so off.

I was simply struggling to find time. I don't and never will be able to get up early enough to do anything before my day begins and I spend the evenings mostly playing with my 1 year old son and it would just not be possible to do something on my lunch break at work. I used to squeeze something in before dinner most evenings but we naturally brought forward our dinner time to coincide with the baby's. Sitting and eating together as a family is something I value very highly so after sitting down to eat at 6ish, by the time he goes to bed at about 8:45 the motivation to do anything was gone.

Yesterday I figured f*** it, and got out the weights at 8:50 and powered through till 9:40. If that's the period of the day that opens up for me to do it, then I suppose that's when it's getting done. Couldn't keep putting it off any longer. I suppose earmarking this late time will lead to me bailing on it more regularly as there's a much higher chance I am just finished exerting myself for the day, however I expect my body will adapt and learn to expect some physical work at that time.

Guess you've just gotta get on with it.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Jen went down to Hatfield Peverel for a few days to spend time with her sister -

On the first day they walked 9 miles but did take in a cream tea along the way - Val has bought herself one of those pedometers , has cut out all butter and fats and is trying her best to combat high cholesterol and lose weight .

Yesterday , 2 x pedometers arrived in the post [ I chose a nice pink one ] - it takes a genius to work out how to set them up but somehow we got there [ I say ' We ' I mean Jen ] - so I had to go outside to measure my stride and walk ten paces - my goal is 5000 steps per day - so far I've managed 220 and am sweating like a sweaty thing - thank God for TV .