The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by Burnley Hammer »

brownout wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:49 am Thanks.

I drink a lot of orange juice which it appears helps iron absorption.

I do like liver and will try to have that once a week.

Unfortunately I'm not keen on quite a few vegetables. I like peas and beans but no derivative of cabbage - in which I include spinach although it isn't. I eat tomatoes and think they are quite healthy.

I bought an iron supplement but it says don't take without doctors advice. My niece was anaemic a while ago and she was told not to take supplements until they'd found the cause.
You could always make a smoothie - it's easy to cram loads of disgusting things in and then disguise the taste with other stuff! The one I'm just about to make will contain broccoli, courgette, and beetroot... and yet when I'm finished, it'll taste of banana and berries.

A lot of orange juice is also a lot of sugar... just bear that in mind, especially if you're pre-diabetic. 330ml of orange juice (same size as a can of coke) will contain around 27g of sugar - just over 5 teaspoons.
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

I’ve been having pains in my shins again.

I called the doctor who referred me to a pharmacist who then recommended ibuprofen.

They think it’s a muscle strain and I hope it fixes it.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:39 am
Have a vitamin C pill with your meals as it aids absorption of non-heme iron. Other nutients such as zinc, folate, and B12 also aid absorption.
I've bought some 80mg chewable vitamin C tablets and had one with my lunch. It says take once a day but as it's quite a low dose I assume it would be Ok to have one with dinner too. Breakfast I have orange juice so that's OPK for vitamin C.

I've also bought some Vitamin B complex tablets which contain folic acid & vitamin B12 so will take them once a day too.
Maybe I should have that with one meal and vitamin C with another?
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

brownout wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:41 pm I've bought some 80mg chewable vitamin C tablets and had one with my lunch. It says take once a day but as it's quite a low dose I assume it would be Ok to have one with dinner too. Breakfast I have orange juice so that's OPK for vitamin C.

I've also bought some Vitamin B complex tablets which contain folic acid & vitamin B12 so will take them once a day too.
Maybe I should have that with one meal and vitamin C with another?
At a dose that low, you'll be fine taking the C with every meal. High strength vitamin C pills tend to be 1000mg
brownout

Post by brownout »

Choosing the best foods is so complicated.

Lots of websites say peas are a good source of iron.
For example-

'Is peas high in iron?
Summary: Beans, peas and lentils are rich in iron. These legumes also contain good amounts of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds that may reduce your risk of various diseases.'

Then the next question -

'Do peas inhibit iron absorption?
Even low levels of phytate (about 5 percent of the amounts in cereal whole flours) have a strong inhibitory effect on iron bioavailability. Phytate is found in walnuts, almonds, sesame, dried beans, lentils and peas, and cereals and whole grains. Phytate compounds can reduce iron absorption by 50 to 65 percent.'
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

brownout wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:15 pm Then the next question -

'Do peas inhibit iron absorption?
Even low levels of phytate (about 5 percent of the amounts in cereal whole flours) have a strong inhibitory effect on iron bioavailability. Phytate is found in walnuts, almonds, sesame, dried beans, lentils and peas, and cereals and whole grains. Phytate compounds can reduce iron absorption by 50 to 65 percent.'
I assume you cook your peas in a pan of water? If so then this will significantly reduce phytate levels. If they've been canned in water before that then this too will significantly reduce phytate levels. Soaking dried beans achieves the same.
brownout

Post by brownout »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm I assume you cook your peas in a pan of water? If so then this will significantly reduce phytate levels. If they've been canned in water before that then this too will significantly reduce phytate levels. Soaking dried beans achieves the same.
Yes, peas frozen and cooked in pan of water.

Thanks. How come you're such an expert on nutrition? If you don't mind me asking. And not that I doubting you in any way. Just interested.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

brownout wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:36 pm Yes, peas frozen and cooked in pan of water.

Thanks. How come you're such an expert on nutrition? If you don't mind me asking. And not that I doubting you in any way. Just interested.
Wouldn't say I was an expert - far from it actually - it's just something I've always been quite into.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:45 pm Wouldn't say I was an expert - far from it actually - it's just something I've always been quite into.
It is a very interesting subject to study/get into.
Whatever your job is, I also think you're wasted doing it, Burnley!
It probably doesn't pay as well (although I don't know) but I think you'd make a great nutritionist.
At the very least you're doing a great job of it for yourself & your family.
And of course, us on here!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

How are you meant to cook peas then?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

mushy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:14 am How are you meant to cook peas then?
You're not supposed to.

You have to eat them frozen, one at a time.
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

S-H wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:30 am You're not supposed to.

You have to eat them frozen, one at a time.
With chopsticks.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

mushy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:14 am How are you meant to cook peas then?
Mushy peas :crylol:
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:50 am Mushy peas :crylol:
Quite possibly your best ever, Ageing.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I imagine you can steam, boil, microwave, or stir fry them.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

A Bit of a heads up.

I had a mate who went on the keto diet. He lost loads of weight but ended up looking like **** and smelling quite a bit.

His keto diet then became his Keto lifestyle. He was on Keto 24/7 365 days a year. he lost more weight and lost all muscle tone and a lot of muscle strength. But that's an aside. What he did do was examine evrything he eat, visited 4/5 supermarkets to get the correct foods with the right nutrients - it took an age for him to get his shopping done.

But the biggest problem of all was he became a keto nutritonal bore. ALL he would talk about, was food and his diet. He used to come doen the pub and drink red wine (apparently one of the few alcoholic drinks Keto people are allowed) and would rant on about his diet and how great he was. He looked like **** tbh, smelt and in the end people would avoid talking to him as all he could talk about was food, the nutrients in it, his diet and his keto lifestyle.

In the end, it affected him mentally. He became totally obsessed with food and drink. It consumed him. If the pub ran out of red wine he used to get really angry and agressive - didn't the barman realise that drinking other drinks would "hurt" him? He totally abstained from all sugar because "it would kill me! Sugar is eveil, it's poison!"

He talked to me about my vegan diet and wanted to know the ins and outs of a cats ****hole. When I pointed out that the meat and dairy he was eating was more than likely full of clembuterol, steroids, antibiotics, dies, mercury (even the hand reared, corn fed livestock, as backed up by a book written by a carnivore who did an independet investigation into this, that I gave him) he went apoplectic.

I'm not digging anyone out on this forum, and if you want to eat very healthy, more power too you. I eat mostly healthy but I'm not worried about the optimum nutrition. I'm not an athlete, boxer, footballer or other sportsman. Life is to short to spend all your life stressing over what you eat.

It's totally ok to have a bit of cake, a few beers, a bottle of wine or whatever every now and then.

It's when health becomes the prime motivation in your life, is when it becomes an issue. It's like an addiction and people like my mate, who has control; issues, are most vunerable to this.

What I am trying to say is that any if you let something take over your life and become obsessional about it, it will cme at a cost - even healthy living.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

WHU Independent wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:45 pm
But the biggest problem of all was he became a keto nutritonal bore.
TBH, I find that is the same as everyone that has a 'different' diet to the 'norm' - Ketos, Veggies, Vegans (no offence intended).

I've never really grasped why people have to let all and sundry know what they do for meals.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:19 pm TBH, I find that is the same as everyone that has a 'different' diet to the 'norm' - Ketos, Veggies, Vegans (no offence intended).

I've never really grasped why people have to let all and sundry know what they do for meals.
In all honesty, I just eat what I eat and leave other people to eat whatever they wish without advice (unless they specifically ask for it). I know perfectly well that my diet is unrealistic for most people and the only reason it works for me is because I thrive on routine and schedules and knowing exactly what I'm going to be doing each day. I'm the kind of person that fears falling off the hamster wheel because I wouldn't know what to do with myself and would feel anxious. It's probably the aspergers. In everyday life I actually fear someone asking me what I eat because I know I'm going to come across as a weirdo when I do tell them. I eat the same breakfast and lunch 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I mostly eat the same dinner but allow myself to live dangerously on friday and saturday night and eat whatever junk I want.

It's nice permanently working from home now... it wasn't long at work before people started noticing that I was eating the exact same lunch every day and started asking stupid questions with the aim of ridiculing me. I'm too nice a person to tell them what I really felt like telling them, which was 'f*** off and die'. Maybe a bit strong but I have a low opinion of people who ridicule others in a sad attempt to appear funny to those around them. I'm more than a little touchy about it because I had it all through high school too. It's one of the reasons I'm anti-social... If I try and be social, I end up saying things that I probably should have kept to myself and end up feeling ridiculed. People like to ridicule those that are a bit different. People I thought were friends let me down.

That's the trouble with aspergers... you tend to have a very narrow set of interests and also tend to talk about them a lot. You also miss a lot of social cues. Don't know I'm doing it at the time but I do realise afterwards when I reflect back. I get annoyed with myself as it becomes obvious I've just spent an hour boring someone to death. Sometimes it's more than annoyance and it leads to self-loathing, social anxiety, and a fear of getting into conversations in case you start talking about your interests and boring someone. Anyway... on here its a bit different. I feel a bit more anonymous and don't really know who anyone is. It's a bit more impersonal and it's a big bonus that I can just type instead of actually speaking.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there... point is I don't normally let all and sundry know. I was just swapping weird diets with Jennings. Maybe I should have posted most of that in the mental health thread!
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Can I just clarify that most of that wasn't personally aimed at you DL. I've just realised it probably seems that way as I quoted you. As I said, I went off on a bit of a tangent.