The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by S-H »

I love you Burnley.

:newthumb:
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:04 pmA lot of orange juice is also a lot of sugar... just bear that in mind, especially if you're pre-diabetic. 330ml of orange juice (same size as a can of coke) will contain around 27g of sugar - just over 5 teaspoons.
Btw brownout, I thought that was excellent advice from Burnley.
As lovely as it is drinking it, drinking lots of it is almost certainly not that 'good' for anyone. The best stuff, not at all cheap as well.
Probably much better to eat 1 or 2 oranges a day instead, imo.
Jennings
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 243 likes

Post by Jennings »

Personally speaking of course, but for me, Burnley, you’ve pretty much single handed turned this thread into one of the most interesting threads in the Snug. Just as important as the Mental Health thread.

Some of the points you’ve made are bang on the money & you’ve brought stuff to my attention that I’d never even heard of before, so thank you. And please keep your thoughts coming.

I’ve just started to add a teaspoon of cinnamon (it has to be Ceylon cinnamon & not cassia) to my juices specifically for its anti inflammatory properties. It also hides the taste of the kale which is a bit of a boon.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Jennings wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:11 am It also hides the taste of the kale which is a bit of a boon.
Broccoli is worse! The blend of that and banana creates a taste that is.... interesting.

I'll be honest... one of the reasons I've gone down the smoothie route is because I'm utterly lazy and cannot be arsed cooking stuff.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Lunch in the café today -

Liver, bacon, mash and tomato - with a vitamin C tablet.

I should probably avoid going near magnets with all that iron.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Well, in typical DL fashion, I've been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica this morning.

Mainly affects older people, and is rare in people under 50 (I'm 47).

Ironically enough, Bladder Cancer also mainly affects older people, and is rare in the under 50's (Though sadly becoming more common).

Now let's see if the steroids they have given me work.

Sigh.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:52 pm Well, in typical DL fashion, I've been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica this morning.

Mainly affects older people, and is rare in people under 50 (I'm 47).

Sigh.
Blimey DL as if you ain't had enough troubles. May I ask how they arrived at the diagnosis, did you have specific symptoms ?
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

OFT wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:36 pm May I ask how they arrived at the diagnosis, did you have specific symptoms ?
Off course. I've been suffering from immense fatigue, aches and pains, not able to move my head and neck properly, and hips and legs being really stiff. It was initially dismissed as side effects from cancer treatment, then my surgery, but as time goes on, I've been going down-hill, rather than improving over time.

GP (face to face appointment, amazingly) ran a load of tests, including co-ordination (some of which he wasn't happy with, so will investigate those later - I have a lack of co-ordination on my left side), along with my blood markers being sky high for inflammation.

It's something that can be bought on through severe trauma (which my surgery was, without a shadow of a doubt) and cancer treatment.
OFT

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:17 pm

It's something that can be bought on through severe trauma (which my surgery was, without a shadow of a doubt) and cancer treatment.
Indeed it was.

Hope they can get control of it for you .

Last year I had scans on neck and upper spine as I cant move my head properly and if I look up for too long it leads to nausea No reason for it apparently.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

It should be manageable with medication, so fingers crossed.

I hope they eventually get to the bottom of your issues. You had a second opinion?
OFT

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:14 pm It should be manageable with medication, so fingers crossed.

I hope they eventually get to the bottom of your issues. You had a second opinion?
No mate, my attention's been diverted by the discovery of my duodenal ulcer.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

OFT wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:17 pm No mate, my attention's been diverted by the discovery of my duodenal ulcer.
Bloody hell. We're falling apart.

We need to pull ourselves together...
OFT

Post by OFT »

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 pm Bloody hell. We're falling apart.

We need to pull ourselves together...
:grin:

I've been lucky to get into my late 60's before the cracks appeared.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Great getting older & getting things wrong with us, ain't it...
We didn't fully appreciate how lucky we were, when we were young..
Hope you both get sorted, OFT & DL.
Jennings

Post by Jennings »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:50 am Or you could just get the good old fashioned liquid.

10ml (a dessert spoon) gives you:

EPA: 840mg
DHA: 740mg

And it works out much cheaper than high quality capsules.
Those numbers are from standard Seven Seas original Cod Liver Oil. Available from most high street shops. Even B&M Bargains sell it.
I’ve just swapped out my fish oil capsules for liquid.

One teaspoon (5ml) contains 2000mg of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), 1000mg of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), 200mg of DPA (docosapentaenoic acid) plus 300mg of other omega-3s

Those are the highest concentrations of EPA & DHA, I could find.

I’ve also swapped out my two morning coffees for green tea instead. This has been a right bitch for me because I’ve been drinking two ultra strong cups of freshly brewed coffee every morning for more than thirty years. I’m definitely feeling the benefit though.

I’ve also stopped having butter on my toast. I’m now drizzling on olive oil instead.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Jennings wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:06 pm I’ve just swapped out my fish oil capsules for liquid.

One teaspoon (5ml) contains 2000mg of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), 1000mg of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), 200mg of DPA (docosapentaenoic acid) plus 300mg of other omega-3s

Those are the highest concentrations of EPA & DHA, I could find.

I’ve also swapped out my two morning coffees for green tea instead. This has been a right bitch for me because I’ve been drinking two ultra strong cups of freshly brewed coffee every morning for more than thirty years. I’m definitely feeling the benefit though.

I’ve also stopped having butter on my toast. I’m now drizzling on olive oil instead.
I just take a strong green tea extract pill... It means I can have the benefits without drinking the foul stuff! I thrive on a black coffee or two (or three) in the morning... It's all I have between waking up and around 2pm.

Make sure you keep the fish oil in the fridge - it's polyunsaturated and therefore an unstable fat and, once opened, goes rancid quick at room temperature. Once that happens it'll do more harm than good.
Jennings

Post by Jennings »

Thank you, Burnley. I’ve done just that. 👍
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

A few weeks ago I posted asking for advise after the doctor told me I had slight anaemia.
I got the result of a follow up blood test this morning and it's normal.
Many thanks for the advice, particularly from Burnley.

I've been recording iron content in what I've eaten and have averaged about 15mg a day (recommended minimum is 8.5).
I've also taken vitamin C with food and avoided foods that interfere with iron absorption.

I've never had anaemia before and suspect the cause was a slight change in diet (less red meat) and the Lansoprozole tablets I'm on that reduce stomach acid so can reduce iron absorption from food. Possible also slight bleeding from daily aspirin.

I do feel better too now. Less tired, more energy and less feeling cold, all of which are symptoms of anaemia but which I'd put down to just getting older.

I don't think I need worry about it so much now but will carry on with the vitamin C with meals, liver once a week and extra Weetabix as that's enriched with iron, plus increased green vegetables.

PSA test at the same time was also OK which is always a relief to those of us in our sixties.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Well, where do i start? Our NHS has always been incredible, but the last 3 weeks I've had a real **** time of it thanks to those clowns

3 weeks ago I started getting a pain in my left ankle. Within 4 days it had got so bad I couldnt get up or down stairs, and every single step had me in agony.

So, I went to Urgent Care and after xrays showed no break, I was given crutches and basically that was that. 3 days later and the pain and swelling was so bad I couldnt get out of bed. I made an appointment at the Dr's, and was referred to a physio the next day. I saw him, he said the achilles is damaged and booked me for an ultra sound. STILL no plaster cast, no boot, nothing. Not even a prescription for strong painkillers

Wed of this week, I have the ultra sound and am told my Dr will get the results next week. I still couldnt walk at all and told the Dr's the pain gets worse every day without fail

Yesterday mid morning, I get a call from my Dr. They had the results and I've ruptured my left achilles. I'm told to go immediately to A&E as my leg should have been in plaster 3 weeks ago.

So I went to A&E, sat there for 5 hours, handed them the Ultra sound report and told them my Dr said I had to have it in plaster. Also told them the pain is getting beyond excruciating.

They confirmed its ruptured and I am going to need surgery and I'll get a letter next week.

Yet they STILL havent put my foot in plaster, or a boot, or any dressing whatsoever. I cant walk one step without being in excruciating pain. I'm talking grown man crying pain. All they gave me was a prescription for codeine and told me I'm at risk of a blood clot if i dont have mobility in the ankle

What a load of old b*llocks.

Rant over

I'm in ****ing agony :cry:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

chalks wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:50 pm Well, where do i start? Our NHS has always been incredible, but the last 3 weeks I've had a real **** time of it thanks to those clowns...
Buy yourself an air boot off Amazon to help whilst they sort out the situation? Might help