The Physical Health Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

The Physical Health Thread

Post by S-H »

It appears the existing thread has fallen off the forum.

Anyway..

About a month ago, I was climbing up a ladder, when I felt a 'pop' in my Achilles, it wasn't particularly painful at the time, but since then, whenever I have been off my feet for any amount of time (In bed)and try to walk, I can barely put any weight on that foot, and the pain at the point of my heel is horrendous, after a few minutes of limping however, I can weight-bear fine though, and the pain seems to subside, and although still noticeable, it bearable.

Any ideas what's happened, or what I can do?

Does it need amputating?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1982 likes

Re: The Physical Health Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Here's a completely non-scientific assessment...you've probably done to your ankle what happened to my knee.

These are both joints where tendons reach from one prominent bone to another (in my case, the tendon that connects the shin bone to the knee cap. These, when looked at in isolation have several points of connection, so that they have hold of different parts of the top of the bone. In my case, the connector that was the furthest on the inside of the joint firstly lost the tension in itself and then detached in part from the joint altogether.

This caused different sensations. To start with, I woke up one day, with the feeling as if one knee was in water, but the other was dry. I put weight on it, getting up, and fell back into bed and spent the next 10 minutes rubbing it, wondering what on earth had happened to it when I was lying in bed asleep. It genuinely barely caused any pain at all, but the messages that were being sent through the central nervous system were that something was wrong.

Had it checked out, including scans etc, and what I've put up above was the explanation. Turns out I had stupidly incorporated into my gym visits a 5 minute run on a treadmill and my knees didn't get the memo before I started on it. It never even twinged when I was actually running at the gym, but one night, in bed, one 'finger' of the tendon started to detach itself, almost like a rubber band degrading.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Up here we have something we call a Doctor's Surgery -

Would you like me to make you an appointment ?

Might be anything but if it turned out to be something that will affect you badly in older age I would suggest now is the time to find out .
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Chances are you have just strained/inflamed it, but best get it checked out.

If strained/inflamed it could take months to heal properly, or you may be lucky, but gentle stretches like the runner stretch helped me recover.

Place your hands on the wall, put your hands at eye level.
Step the leg you want to stretch behind you. Keep your back heel on the floor and point your toes straight ahead.
Bend your other knee toward the wall, keeping your back leg straight.
Lean toward the wall until you feel a gentle stretch in your calf. Don’t lean so far that you feel pain.
Hold for 30 seconds. Complete 3 reps

Do them a few times a day and lots & lots of walking in good shoes. Or cut the ****er out :newthumb:
S-H

Post by S-H »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am Up here we have something we call a Doctor's Surgery -

I'd probably stand a better chance of travelling to Skye and seeing your doctor, than actually seeing my own.

Getting a physical appointment is like gold dust..
S-H

Post by S-H »

Proph, Clackers, thank you chaps.

I will try and get it checked out.

:newthumb:
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

Back in the summer Her Oftness and I decided to take the train to Liverpool(not a euphemism I assure you) for the day. We ambled along through the streets towards The Albert Dock . As we got to the waterfront the wind nicked my favourite old hat in the direction of the water. Instinctively, I summoned my inner Sir Trev(or possibly Christy Brown) and trapped said hat. The joy of saving that old hat was countered as the pain in my heel became obvious. Following a longish lunch we began the long haul back to Lime Street, "I'll walk it off" I said. Rested by the short train journey home I brushed aside suggestions of getting a taxi and continued to 'walk it off' . About half a mile from the nest I gave up, could not bear any weight at all. Her Oftness went home to get the car leaving me to wait sitting on a bench which fortunately didn't have its usual collection of individuals with their cheeky bottles of White Lightning, although I still attracted the funny looks, to be fair, I wasn't wearing a morning suit.

The following day I managed to get a telephone 'appointment' with the GP, and explained the pain was like the Plantar Fasciitis I'd had in the other heel but much worse. 'sounds like a strain' said she,' but to make sure its nothing more serious, go for an X-ray. and rest as much as possible.'

The upshot was, I may well have strained something, but I have a bone spur in my heel, I've never been aware of it before, but its a constant reminder of The Albert Dock most days now.

Give the GP a call S-H
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 am Up here we have something we call a Doctor's Surgery -

Might be anything but if it turned out to be something that will affect you badly in older age I would suggest now is the time to find out .
Those two words just don't go together.
The Old Man of Storr

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:09 am I'd probably stand a better chance of travelling to Skye and seeing your doctor, than actually seeing my own.

Getting a physical appointment is like gold dust..
:newthumb:

Covid has affected our services up here too but to be fair they're doing their best and if an appointment is needed you'll get seen -
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am :newthumb:

Covid has affected our services up here too but to be fair they're doing their best and if an appointment is needed you'll get seen -
My missus had at least 20 phone consultations with her GP since this pandemic began and he kept reiterating that he would not see her in person.

One day she rang him and told him she had an issue with one of her breasts, he had her in the surgery in half an hour for a physical.

I kid you not.
S-H

Post by S-H »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm One day she rang him and told him she had an issue with one of her breasts,
Stubble rash?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:59 pmStubble rash?
I wish :rofl:
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 am About a month ago, I was climbing up a ladder, when I felt a 'pop' in my Achilles, it wasn't particularly painful at the time, but since then, whenever I have been off my feet for any amount of time (In bed)and try to walk, I can barely put any weight on that foot, and the pain at the point of my heel is horrendous, after a few minutes of limping however, I can weight-bear fine though, and the pain seems to subside, and although still noticeable, it bearable.

Any ideas what's happened, or what I can do?
Have you tried rubbing your knob on your computer monitor?
S-H

Post by S-H »

Samba wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:16 pm Have you tried rubbing your knob on your computer monitor?
Not in the last 5 minutes, no.
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm My missus had at least 20 phone consultations with her GP since this pandemic began and he kept reiterating that he would not see her in person.

One day she rang him and told him she had an issue with one of her breasts, he had her in the surgery in half an hour for a physical.

I kid you not.
S-H, tell your GP surgery that one of your breasts went 'pop'.. :newthumb:
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Samba wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:16 pm Have you tried rubbing your knob on your computer monitor?

He can't reach it, the screen is four inches away
S-H

Post by S-H »

I told you that in confidence..
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

S-H wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:27 pm I told you that in confidence..
Too late, you left your camera switched on
The Old Man of Storr

ageing hammer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 pm My missus had at least 20 phone consultations with her GP since this pandemic began and he kept reiterating that he would not see her in person.

I kid you not.
All jokes aside , it could have been a serious issue and would have needed checking out properly . :newthumb:

Phone him up about your arse , see if he sees you . :grin:
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:03 am All jokes aside , it could have been a serious issue and would have needed checking out properly . :newthumb:

Phone him up about your arse , see if he sees you . :grin:

I did, a week later when I had a genuine issue, told him my ball bag was paining me, he told me take para ****ing cetamol