Manchester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (28/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by sendô »

Jim seems to have turned into a cock since he went back up north.

Still, apparently he's mortgage free now in case you missed it.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Thought we looked poor but let’s be honest City can do that to any team. The weather didn’t help either.

Thought Rice and the centre halves looked good. Most played pretty averagely. Johnson had a poor game but even then saved a goal with an excellent clearance. Thought Fornals was anonymous.

Anyone know when we’ll hear about Cresswell’s injury?
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

First away game in a while where people around me have stuck to their seats. Or enough empties due to the travel issues that people could spread out. I missed the boney knees and elbows of teenage boys who can't be away from their friends (or the bag?) for 45 minutes.

****ing freezing and really thought the last ten minutes both teams were first half they were playing out the match for half time to get the pitch cleared.

Lanzini due a start now after two good back-to-back performances. Bring him in for Fornals. I thought Coufal made a real difference when he came on. If Cresswell can play, I'd drop Johnson. Harsh but Coufal is the better player. Massuaku was alright but we missed Bowen.

Overall, happy with the performance. We were definitely in it up until their second, with promising attacks. Just about warmed up
Bucksexile
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 127 likes

Post by Bucksexile »

Thanks for the post, roblo.

I think you got it right.

Thoroughly enjoyable game.

We were in it most of the way, spoilt their clean sheet record, out sung them from the off.

The team can be very proud of that performance.

Bags a money vs hard work.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Monkey Mike wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:03 pm Agreed. Used to be a decent poster but an air of unpleasantness these days.
There is no doubt that Guardiola's style of play is successful, however it bores me to death. It's like vampire football, it just sucks the life out of the game. I can admire the energy, fitness and technical skills, but (for me) it is not what I would wish to watch week after week, however much silverware it brought. There was a thread on here the other day about how much, or little, the ball is in play. That, I feel, is nothing compared to how much of my life is drifting by watching keep ball for an interminable amount of time where nothing much happens. It may be just me and I respect that many (especially City fans) are happy with it, but not its not for me.
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:41 am There is no doubt that Guardiola's style of play is successful, however it bores me to death. It's like vampire football, it just sucks the life out of the game. I can admire the energy, fitness and technical skills, but (for me) it is not what I would wish to watch week after week, however much silverware it brought. There was a thread on here the other day about how much, or little, the ball is in play. That, I feel, is nothing compared to how much of my life is drifting by watching keep ball for an interminable amount of time where nothing much happens. It may be just me and I respect that many (especially City fans) are happy with it, but not its not for me.
Agreed.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:41 am There is no doubt that Guardiola's style of play is successful, however it bores me to death. It's like vampire football, it just sucks the life out of the game. I can admire the energy, fitness and technical skills, but (for me) it is not what I would wish to watch week after week, however much silverware it brought. There was a thread on here the other day about how much, or little, the ball is in play. That, I feel, is nothing compared to how much of my life is drifting by watching keep ball for an interminable amount of time where nothing much happens. It may be just me and I respect that many (especially City fans) are happy with it, but not its not for me.
It can be like that at times, but against PSG they played with much more intent to get it into the box. I really enjoyed watching them in midweek, when they choose to play a little more directly it's a pleasure even as a neutral to observe the build-up play involved.

It was actually their pressing yesterday that was the more interesting than their attack. Really smart football.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I could see that we prepared to defend deeper as whenever their wingers got on the ball, the full-backs dropped two metres and Fornals / Arthur were to close down angles. It worked ok, but when you're playing a team of that quality, you simply have to take your chances and be a bit more 'cute' in the final third. I thought more than once we played the wrong ball or didn't make the lung busting run to box.

Antonio has had a couple of poor turn-outs recently, and his decision to take the ball of Coufal's foot after that excellent ball from Arthur was a poor one. As was his square ball to nobody which caused Cresswell's injury. His 'long throw' was funny - even the City players were confused with that!

Whenever they attacked it felt like they had more men on the pitch such is the way they play. They also were clever in their fouls, I counted three (two got yellows and gawd knows how Rodri wasn't booked). All three were smart as prevented the break - Pep had obviously done his homework on our strengths.

We weren't great, but we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves. Plenty of effort, lacking a bit of guile.

It was also bloody freezing and the pie was ****!
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

PF. wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:44 am
It was also bloody freezing and the pie was ****!
The Chicken Balti "Bowen" pie I got was really good!
Just a shame the real Bowen wasn't on the pitch too much - we missed his pace.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

First away game for a while, thought it was fairly quiet in the lower. City fans to our right making some noise to give them credit. Shame about the pair of morons in our end at the very end of the game and their idiots 'giving it to each other' that meant some people were distracted whilst Lanzini scored an absolute pearler.

On reflection it could've been worse. Two cleared off the line (though not sure the one where Cress clattered into the post was going in?), two hit the woodwork and one fairly close offside. Still thought we dug in well though - plenty of teams go there and get stuffed.

Brighton fairly close to the must-win category in terms of keeping momentum, with Chelsea and Arsenal closely on the tail.
Bubbles Murray
Location: 200 miles due north of Mecca ( Bingo Hall, Barking Road )
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Bubbles Murray »

roblo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 am First away game in a while where people around me have stuck to their seats. Or enough empties due to the travel issues that people could spread out. I missed the boney knees and elbows of teenage boys who can't be away from their friends (or the bag?) for 45 minutes.

We had some young chaps ask us to move down the row to some empty seats so that they could all sit together. We said no, why don't you go and sit in the empty seats. As it happens the ticket holders for those empty seats turned up well into the first-half due to the travel disruption.

On the flip side we had a brief chat with two youngish Hammers on the walk back. A couple of minutes later we noticed a poor chap who'd slipped and gone flying on the pavement and amongst the group helping him were those two lads :crest:
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

Aceface wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm His defensive work is always pretty good. But like Fredericks his ability to find a teammate isn’t (yet) on the same level as the rest of the squad. Doesn’t mean he can’t get there because his crossing is often good.

Might be yet another reason he might be better suited right now to a third CB. It’s an experiment that might be worth attempting against Dinamo Zagreb.
Defensively he is solid, but he doesn't bomb forward like Coufal. Several times we had an opportunity to break and he got past the half way line and just stopped, giving Man City a chance to arrange their defence.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:00 pm Brighton a massive game mid-week, we don't want to lose three on the bounce. We've been great but are these European games starting to take a toll?
Don't think so. Wolves away is difficult, good side. Manchester City away, well yeah.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Soucek looked below par, time to drop him I feel
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am Soucek looked below par, time to drop him I feel
I would think putting Coufal at right back, Fornals back on left side and Bowen back on the right wing will help Souceks form imo
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I am bewildered by our successful run ( I consider a 2-1 defeat away to City as successful !).

We do not have any attacking players who would get into any other top 6 teams.... O.K. Mickey would, is involved in most goals, but the others !

I cant praise the back 7 enough and sometimes Fornals makes that a good back 8.

Bowens non stop efforts will only be rewarded against the slowest defenders and Benrahma's ability to find good spaces isn't matched by good use of the ball. Lanzini is looking good in comparison only because every ball he plays now is an easy safe option,his penetrative runs have long gone.

Have we just had a very lucky run ? I read that a 32 sequence of Reds was once recorded at Vegas !
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

KUMB's latest PMR in which Rio, Gnome, the pink palermo and myself pick the bones out of the trip to Man City...

PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:55 am Soucek looked below par, time to drop him I feel
I couldn't disagree more. Soucek is an excellent central midfielder who does so many things right.

He is in the league top 20 for successful interceptions (19) and tackles (31) alongside Declan (23 and 35 respectively).

Unless you're watching closely, what many do not see is the amount of forward passing lanes Tommy blocks when the opposition are in possession. His positioning is right up with the very best - I suggest an elite level.

Soucek and Rice are arguably the best central midfield partnership in the league at this time and whilst Tommy isn't scoring as he did last year, his all round play is allowing us to break at will and importantly, he is supporting Declan maraud forward and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Drop him and we'll ship more and score less - which is why I doubt it's even crossed Moyes's mind.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

We were always going to spend long periods defending, but it felt like all our best chances were snuffed out by cynical fouls or trips on Antonio, one of which didn't even get booked.

I was critical of Antonio against Wolves but if Benrahma scores that early chances and Laporte doesn't clean him out when through we would be having a different discussion.

Disappointed to see so many had left before Lanzini's goal. Guess people had left having already accumulated their points. :chin:
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:10 pm
Disappointed to see so many had left before Lanzini's goal. Guess people had left having already accumulated their points. :chin:
Or probably thought after that heavy downpour of snow they wanted to try and get out and home as quick as possible.