Manchester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (28/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

aboooooooooo
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by aboooooooooo »

9/1 to win...5/1 for the draw with William Hill.

Bookies don't fancy us at all,
Benaloon
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Benaloon »

Johnson completely shut Cancelo down in the league cup game - thought he was immense that match, so fully back him over Coufal here.

Worried about Dawson-Zouma in the centre though, just no where near as solid as Oggy-zoum and City will exploit that.

Reckon we can scrape a point.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

aboooooooooo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:17 pm 9/1 to win...5/1 for the draw with William Hill.

Bookies don't fancy us at all,
That's their fault, the pricks. Personally I am astounded we are as high as that. Serves them right when they have to pay out vast sums of money, cos, we're gonna win
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:30 pm That's their fault, the pricks. Personally I am astounded we are as high as that. Serves them right when they have to pay out vast sums of money, cos, we're gonna win
I'm almost certain that even if we won at those odds, it'd cost the bookies less than if City won odds on.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Need to press em like they put the press on if we sit back they will hammer us, I wouid play zouma and diop for this one :newthumb:
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I'm very worried the defeat against wolves aint the problem it was the performance it was very poor thats what worries me the most
Westhamfan
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Westhamfan »

Last week I made a (trying to be ) confident prediction of the who’ve s game and those of our rivals..and was wrong on all counts so now I’m just hoping for a draw.
BTW Is anyone else suffering from the incessant pop ups on this site?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Pop ups are a nuisance
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Our last three against this lot are:

1-1 H Antonio
1-2 A Antonio
0-0 H - won on pens.

Makes a change from the 0-5, 0-5, 0-4's of a few years ago.

Talk that they have Grealish, Foden and De Bruyne potentially absent. Good news for us with the latter two. Grealish coming into contact with Vlad the Impaler is always good for a laugh though.

They will still have a very strong team - probably a better one without those. Sterling, Silva, Gundogan, Mahrez is still pretty good.

We'll play the way we usually do now against them. Keep it tight, protect the full backs. keep a clean sheet for as long as possible and then wait for the early storm to blow over.

As good as they are - it isn't Yaya Toure, David Silva, Aguero is it?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:16 pm Our last three against this lot are:

1-1 H Antonio
1-2 A Antonio
0-0 H - won on pens.

Makes a change from the 0-5, 0-5, 0-4's of a few years ago.

As good as they are - it isn't Yaya Toure, David Silva, Aguero is it?

I really like that Bernardo Silva of theirs [ De Bryune , Gundogan and Rodri ain't bad either ] and I'm not sure whether it's their quality that's lessening or ours getting a lot better ?

I think they'll beat us .
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

You'd think so, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. A few years ago, you could.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I suspect that Moyes will start the same eleven as Wolves but I’d personally make some changes.

I prefer Dawson ahead of Diop mainly - but I’d probably go with Diop for this one. Few reasons, I think it’s a game where needing to read crosses is less likely and we’ll be defending almost constantly (so no need to suddenly switch on after watching us attack for five minutes which Diop sometimes struggles with). Dawson is much more consistent and reliable but Diop’s good games feel the potential to be the better (and worse games, much worse). He has a worldie performance in him from time to time.

Secondly I’d start Lanzini. He doesn’t lose the ball and given the defence will need a break at times, simply to get out, feels important. Benrahma to come on for last 25 to help win the game. ;)

Finally, Coufal back in. Johnson’s distribution isn’t quite at the level of Vlad yet for me. Could hurt us in this one.

Not expecting anything from the game overall - reality is that we need Man City to be not quite at their best (even if we’re absolutely on it). Would be very happy with a combative draw.

One thing is for certain, they’ll take out our counter attacks before we cross the halfway line five or six times without consequence yet Declan will get booked for his first step out of line.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

We've played a back 3/5 against this lot in each of the last 3. Moyes doubles at least one of his full backs every time.

My guess is that at least one of Fornals, Benrahma or Bowen will get benched so he can do that from the off.

I felt that Vlasic did well against them in the league cup, especially when he moved infield.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

I think we're going to be handed our @ rse in a hand cart with this one.. Pep already girding his troops saying they didn't deserve to win the last years game at the Etihad...
I understand the talk about us playing our game & let the opponents worry about us, it worked great against Liverpool, but... 5 at the back please Mr Moyes...
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 219 likes

Post by Polaroid »

I hope Declan gets in the ref's ear as soon as he arrives at the ground regarding City's cynical fouling and that Rodri doesn't get a yellow card exemption for the first 4 fouls.

Should Coufal and Grealish start the game on the bench I want Vlad to follow him, within a yard, every time the diver warms up. Added bonus if he can pull a "Here's Johnny" face too.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Polaroid wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:36 am Should Coufal and Grealish start the game on the bench I want Vlad to follow him, within a yard, every time the diver warms up. Added bonus if he can pull a "Here's Johnny" face too.
If that happens, I fully expect to look up and see Vlad sitting on the City bench, no more than six inches behind Grealish, who will be ****ting himself throughout.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

Time to panic about the weather? Was it last season the game was called off because of wind and rain? Remember being on the train and having to turn around.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I’d go with:

———————————Fabianski———————————-

-Johnson———-Dawson—-Zouma———-Cresswell-

—————————Rice————Soucek—————————

——————————-—Fornals—————————————-

-Bowen———————Antonio———————Masuaku-

Subs: Areola, Coufal, Diop, Fredericks, Kral, Lanzini, Benrhama, Vlasic, Yarmolenko.

This will be a very controversial team for some as Benrhama hasn’t been playing badly recently. I just felt we needed an additional defensive player to add more protection to the left hand side. We already have protection on the right as Bowen always supports the rightback. Yes, we could just play Benrhama in attacking midfield. But for me he only really plays well there against a team with a soft underbelly. Which City are not. So I’d either go with Masuaku on the left, so at times during the game it can become a back 5, or I’d go with Lanzini in attacking midfield and stick Fornals on the left. Masuaku edges it for me as I also think we needed some pace in the team.

There was actually 2 other changes I wanted to make. And that is Coufal for Johnson and even more controversially Areola for Fabianski. But that would’ve been incredibly harsh, as neither played poorly against Wolves. Fabianski in my eyes was MOTM. I just felt we may benefit more from Coufal’s final ball. Although Johnson does have more pace. And my reasons for Areola was just simply down to the fact City are likely to have so much shots on goal that I just felt we’d be better off with a Keeper with more agility, than one who is slowing down a bit.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I would find a place for Perkins on the bench. He would be our secret weapon
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 am I would find a place for Perkins on the bench. He would be our secret weapon
And made up for his miss the other day with a last minute headed winner.