Manchester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (28/11/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by 61dicksey »

I don’t think any of our defenders covered themselves in glory on that first goal , way to much space and nobody tracking the runners, Cresswell’s half hearted effort was pathetic.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

61dicksey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 pm I don’t think any of our defenders covered themselves in glory on that first goal , way to much space and nobody tracking the runners, Cresswell’s half hearted effort was pathetic.
WE should also have closed them down for the second as well. Had we done that we might have sneaked a draw.
Turtlecharityracer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Turtlecharityracer »

61dicksey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:15 pm I don’t think any of our defenders covered themselves in glory on that first goal , way to much space and nobody tracking the runners, Cresswell’s half hearted effort was pathetic.
Cresswell is not to blame. That must go down as a managerial mistake.
This conservative attitude of getting Cresswell (move from LB to LCB depending on game situation) and Masuaku (move from LWB to LB depending on game situation) to play 2 positions intermittently is just too hard to manage throughout the whole game against a team like Man City. This caused issues all night down that side where those 2 players were getting caught slightly out of position all game because of the confusion playing between the 2 positions.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:34 pm Cresswell is not to blame. That must go down as a managerial mistake.
This conservative attitude of getting Cresswell (move from LB to LCB depending on game situation) and Masuaku (move from LWB to LB depending on game situation) to play 2 positions intermittently is just too hard to manage throughout the whole game against a team like Man City. This caused issues all night down that side where those 2 players were getting caught slightly out of position all game because of the confusion playing between the 2 positions.
:lol: :lol:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Turtlecharityracer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:34 pm Cresswell is not to blame. That must go down as a managerial mistake.
Don't think there was confusion. At Sunday league level you know as a wide midfielder you have to drop in.

Cresswell should have communicated with Masuaku too if he was leaving his man
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 pm WE should also have closed them down for the second as well. Had we done that we might have sneaked a draw.
I'll let them off the second, they were desperately trying to force the counter and we had the ball, only to lose it for no reason. Lanzini's pass is fine if Antonio uses his left foot to control it, but I also don't think it was a great pass and Antonio isn't expecting it. Then it's lost, we drop to defend the box and Fernandinho is there in space because we made a quick decision.

The first goal, regardless of how desperately he might be defended, was a clear example of someone not following the plan. The second is desperation and sudden turnover, which I find more forgivable.
Ironing Board

Post by Ironing Board »

Wilko1304 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 pm I'll let them off the second, they were desperately trying to force the counter and we had the ball, only to lose it for no reason. Lanzini's pass is fine if Antonio uses his left foot to control it, but I also don't think it was a great pass and Antonio isn't expecting it. Then it's lost, we drop to defend the box and Fernandinho is there in space because we made a quick decision.

The first goal, regardless of how desperately he might be defended, was a clear example of someone not following the plan. The second is desperation and sudden turnover, which I find more forgivable.
If I remember right it came from an innocuous looking throw in down our right hand side. They just seems to walk through us, though I guess we were probably tired.

Edit: Just checked and it was a corner. But we did stand off them there. All a bit weird. Should have just wellied it up there for Bowen to chase.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Pretty amazing for us to go up there and just lose it by one. We beat Liverpool the other week and we have a great camaraderie and team bond, which I have not seen for a long time. Must credit all that to Moyes. :thup:

In other news, Spuds up the road are losing to part-timers in Europe, how embarrassing is that and Conte, a born winner, is saying its going to take a long, long time to turn it around & questioning the players commitment. :thup: