West Ham Utd 1-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (1/12/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3170 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Brighton & Hove Albion: match thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Masuaku is going to get more heavily criticised because he makes consistent errors, he has flaws that are exposed often and isn’t having the positive contribution to give him any credit.

Lying about his mistakes doesn’t help anyone forgive them. Being blind to the above is foolish.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Seemed they were always receiving the ball in space whilst when we received it we had half a team to beat.

With a relatively strong defence it seemed not appropriate to have Bowen and Benny playing as auxilliary fullbacks.

Not a surprising performance...our successes have generally been defence led and again as last week two crucial players from that defence were missing. We've known that we have one good starting eleven which gels but without 2 of it's components we're back to average.

Benny and Bowen need a lot of opportunities to have a successful moment and without that solid base being in place they're not getting it.
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

I honestly think without VAR that goal stands 99/100 times. However if the ball touched Antonio then it was rightly over ruled.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I'm confused, if Duffy scores an own goal how is Antonio offside even if Duffys back heel touches Antonio.?

Is the rule changed?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1947 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Jonah wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:11 pm Any talk of 'they had to find something' / 'we are getting too close to the top of the league' is just mindless waffle. :winker:
You clearly weren’t at Cardiff when Gerrard scored from that throw in.

Had you of been you would have seen the skies part and a giant index finger come down and give you the bird.
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

ageing hammer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:21 pm I'm confused, if Duffy scores an own goal how is Antonio offside even if Duffys back heel touches Antonio.?

Is the rule changed?
It wasn’t an own goal as the ball was heading in before the touch from Duffy, which wasn’t intentional as it was as he was landing.

No the rule is as it was, and if the ball touched Antonio it was rightly overruled.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Benny looked like he was trying to hard last night and Bowen just needs something to click, surprised we didnt see Vaslic on though
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

I'd be amazed if any lino would have flagged it offside, too much going on in there, players everywhere etc. It took the VAR guy an age to 100% decide with all the wizardry at his fingertips. You only hope that every decision is treated the same, regardless of the clubs and players involved.

Whilst VAR is there to correct clear and obvious mistakes, offside decisions seem to be overruled at the most granular level.

As others have said, if Antonio touched the ball it is the correct decision as he was in an offside position when Dawson moved the ball forward.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5669 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 pm Masuaku is going to get more heavily criticised because he makes consistent errors, he has flaws that are exposed often and isn’t having the positive contribution to give him any credit.

Lying about his mistakes doesn’t help anyone forgive them. Being blind to the above is foolish.
Yes but other than being a liability defensively and offering nothing in attack, what is your problem with him?

On a different note we really missed Cresswell yesterday. It feels like his crosses are the only time we get the ball behind the opposition’s defensive line at times. Masuaku gave us that width when he came on, but the end product was frankly laughable.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I thought Antonio was offside and the fact he's about an inch away from touching the ball (it may have even touched him) means he's interfering with play.

Correct, annoying decision. Not really sure where the debate is.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:50 am Over the last season and a half we have majorly had the rub of the green with VAR.
I can't name one incorrect VAR decision in out favour - I'm sure there must be one, but... nope... I'd be able to reel off a quick half dozen poor decisions that VAR could have easily awarded our way though, or dubious decisions against us - from this season.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

Mildly concerned that Bowen struggled to finish from inside on the right.

Sure, rueful smile as my argument about him not being a striker is proven somewhat correct, but I fear the time in the middle is now hurting his usual game scoring from that more diagonal position. It's a slightly different skill, and I worry his confidence has been hit on finished and it's changed his more natural and instinctive game on the wider ones.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:31 pm I thought Antonio was offside and the fact he's about an inch away from touching the ball (it may have even touched him) means he's interfering with play.
No, it doesn't.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2697 likes

Post by sendô »

Blimey there’s some knicker wetting in here.

It wasn’t a terrible result overall. Brighton deserved a point and the stats reflect that. The most worrying thing for me was how awful Antonio was, and that Moyes took so long to bring Lanzini on despite it being clear we needed more control in the middle.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Also think Diop would be slaughtered for the defending Dawson did on their goal (and that big Lallana chance).

The Lallana chance is a typical one we give the opposition. Defend the box deep, but allow too much space on the edge.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 936 likes
Total likes: 1947 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:31 pm I thought Antonio was offside and the fact he's about an inch away from touching the ball (it may have even touched him) means he's interfering with play.

Correct, annoying decision. Not really sure where the debate is.
There’s more debates about it than in a transgender conference at E Sussex Uni.

Was it a foul? Was it handball? Did Antonio touch it? Was the second defender not level?

As for the interfering with play, how so if he doesn’t touch it and it’s an own goal? The goalie was nowhere near so it’s not like Antonio was blocking his view or movement, which is the general situation when a goal is ruled out for such.

All of those need to have been clearly and wrongly judged by the ref apart from the offside line call.
Last edited by Doc H Ball on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

MB wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:28 pm Yes but other than being a liability defensively and offering nothing in attack, what is your problem with him?

On a different note we really missed Cresswell yesterday. It feels like his crosses are the only time we get the ball behind the opposition’s defensive line at times. Masuaku gave us that width when he came on, but the end product was frankly laughable.
Indeed, and he slotted in well in that respect !

Most players tend to need a bit of a run of games to find form and he hasn't had that. Lingard last season being a high profile exception to that, but he is a different level

Spot on re Cresswell's delivery being a huge miss.

What I hope comes from this is some peoples expectation levels become a bit more realistic for the season.

Surely there's not a single supporter out there who wouldn't have taken our league, Europe and cup situations where they are currently at this stage of the season ?
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:34 pm No, it doesn't.
Christ, alright dude, only offering an opinion!
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

In Masuaku's defence, he hasn't had too many minutes this season, he's the sort of player who would benefit from a run games in the side.

Regardless of this though, the fact Moyes went with Johnson over Arthur, probably tells you all you need to know..
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1673 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

The way Antonio ran off celebrating is enough for me to be certain he touched it.